BREAKING: 2020 AUSTRALIAN FORMULA 1 GP CANCELLED

All eyes turn to Australia as the first race of the 2020 season approaches. Australian GP organizers, so far, haven't taken a hint from China, Bahrain, the Le Mans 24 Hours bike race, Formula-E, the entire NBA, one of their own scheduled performers, nor team personnel showing possible symptoms, and plan to run the season opener as scheduled this weekend.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see Ricciardo put together a properly good outing in Australia for a change! But, next to other events cancelling or postponing, it feels like organizers are risking a larger COVID-19 outbreak. On a dark comedy note, I have quite enjoyed the Australian Grand Prix Corporation's press releases. CEO Andrew Westacott's word economy is impressive. Let's look at the full statement regarding coronavirus testing:
"The Australian Grand Prix Corporation has been informed of three Formula 1® team personnel presenting for precautionary testing and who are now all undergoing precautionary self-isolation," Westacott said.
"The AGPC is monitoring the situation in conjunction with Formula 1® and the FIA."

Westacott's statements are as terse as they are brief. Meanwhile, the World Health Organization stepped up their efforts to communicate how best to manage the current situation.

Even though everyone's already on site and hanging out in Albert Park, do you think the Australian GP should carry on this weekend? What do you think will happen should any of the team members in isolation test results show positive?

UPDATE: Following a positive test, McLaren Racing withdraws from the Australian GP.
mclaren withdraws from 2020 australian gp.png

UPDATE: F1 and FIA are in talks to decide next steps in Australia.

UPDATE, OVER 11 HOURS AFTER STARTING MEETINGS: F1, FIA, and AGPC have cancelled the 2020 Australian Grand Prix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not blame the GP organization for taking half-arsed measures. That's basically what all governments are doing until the country is hit real hard and the health system is overwhelmed.

At least they should offer reimbursement to all vulnerable people (old and/or sick) who choose not to attend.

Bold and smart move from McLaren. Health above everything (no-brainer). Now let's see what they will decide for this and upcoming GP's
Yes personally I really wanted to start the season and already made some preperations for this GP. But again an understandable decision.
Will GP Zandvoort be the first one for 2020 season or does that one also come too early?

However you stand on this whole virus story, in my opinion the cultural and social life will change a lot in the next few weeks. You can see it from the cancellations already announced worldwide. And more will follow. It is the only sensible thing at the moment. If the F1 is not willing to accept this, the drivers should pull the brakes.
Excluding the public can only help to a limited extent. In the NBA a player is affected in the F1 a team member.

and the WEC 1000 miles of Sebring has been canceled too!!!!!!
Yup...and it's probably also a "healthy" decision. Every bit, that slows down infection and rectifies/lowers the peak of the whole stress on healthcare systems is pretty welcome right now.

Take care guys and
44060hd.jpg

Yep we'll probably get news very soon that they will cancel the event now since a positive test result has been confirmed.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 115 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 428 39.6%