Brawn: Team Orders Were A No Brainer

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
On the closing laps of the Malaysian Grand Prix Nico Rosberg was ordered by Ross Brawn to stay behind his slower team mate, Lewis Hamilton. Although the Vettel & Webber dispute has hogged most of the headlines, the fact also remains Nico Rosberg - was charging towards on final stint of the Grand Prix. Rosberg wanted to get past Lewis Hamilton, who had been ordered to save fuel by the Brackley, UK based team. But Brawn came over the radio and ordered The German to stay behind his teammate.

But Ross Brawn has told Eurosport, the decision was also made due to Rosbergs much needed fuel management.

"In my judgement, the lowest risk solution was for the drivers to hold station,"Nico may have got past Lewis, but on the fuel management programme that both drivers were running, there was no opportunity to progress further or challenge the front two cars. A third and fourth place finish was an excellent result for the team and I was not prepared to risk it."

When asked about his result, the Brit was extremely pleased with the result. Both car's finished the race and in the top two. Brawn added "When I spoke to the team afterwards, I used the analogy of a man in the desert who had found a cup of water - and we wanted to make sure that we didn't spill a single drop."

Mercedes had played a game of risk with the fueling of both cars, ensuring there was enough to challenge at the start but to bring the car home after a certain period. The Race Engineers were heard numerous times coming over the radio - to Hamilton in particular - telling the drivers to consider their fuel management. Brawn admitted they played a "Bold" strategy.

"Whilst the profile of Lewis and Nico's races were slightly different, both drivers had to make similar adjustments to reach our fuel targets. Fuel consumption targets are reviewed after each race and we will certainly look at this race closely to take any lessons for the future." Brawn stated to the press.

Brawn also said that before the race the team have briefings, the only thing he tells each driver before they go to the car is "they respect the decisions made on the pit wall". The Mercedes drivers did just that on Sunday, proving they listen to him.

Lewis Hamilton who made the big mistake of stopping at former his former team Mclaren. Even questioned Brawn's decision after the race. Asking Brawn is he had done the right thing keeping Rosberg behind him, when Rosberg may of posed a challenge to cars ahead. Although Vettel and Webber were a few seconds away.

Brawn overall was pleased of the progress they have made, What is the reason you believe they made that call?
View the Post on the Blog

Ross Brawn was indeed able to score alot of brawnie points for himself with those "no brainer" teamorders. Wonder if the German side of the team will see it as a no brainer though

Position on track after last pit stop. Rosberg saved fuel driving behind Lewis a long time so he had some to spare. Most teams would like to finish the race a lap after last pit stop, in their mind there is only places to lose and nothing to gain after that. And in majority of races that is true. Last season we had some positions gained in the last 10 laps but they are exceptions.

If Red Bull had started struggling really bad i´m sure they would have sent Rosberg away to chase them down and see what he can do.
But they were frankly superior and would have just responded had Nico upped his pace.

Ivan Mills & Kennett Ylitalo

Think of it like this guys,
If Lewis Hamilton Transfers to a new team, then goes on to finish on the podium.... The sponsors will be queuing at the door.

Lewis was playing down claims before the season commenced, now Hamilton has finished 3rd at a new team... Those cheques will be flowing in...

That's my opinion on it, anyway. It was a decision which favoured the teams bank balance ;)

Ivan Mills & Kennett Ylitalo

Those cheques will be flowing in...

;)

Those checks would've flown in regardless if Lewis was 3rd or 4th.;)

Hamilton was on a pretty severe fuel saving mode in the later parts of the race,so another thing i find odd is that he actually raced Rosberg on the main strait to regain his 3rd on the couple of occasion that Nico tried to pass him,yet stayed on the podium after and looked all gloomy and appologetic of how he didnt deserve to be there:rolleyes:

Of course he wanted to be there, but he got there in a way that cheapened the entire experience for him. I can't speak for anyone else but I know that I would want to win by outclassing my opponents, not by having them told to stay behind me when they could easily pass me. I honestly believe that he felt bad about standing there, while he was happy for the points in the long run ofc.

this a tough opinion to give cause i dont know what the feul data really was to say that they purposely kept nico behind lewis but i do know that nico was very disappointed about the choice that ross made and made the comment " remember this" as if to say you owe me. crazy race crazy crazy race

Saving fuel???

Why didn't rosberg use his DRS behind lewis to save fuel after brawns order?

Why don't let Rosberg pass and Lewis could save more fuel behind Rosberg?

I think it has something to do with Hamilton nr1 position claim in the team... Something he didn't have at mclaren. Future will tell...

right after the order was given to Nico in the next couple of laps you can see him almost running into the back of Hamilton at the end of the first DRS zone,having to lift off massively

right after the order was given to Nico in the next couple of laps you can see him almost running into the back of Hamilton at the end of the first DRS zone,having to lift off massively
Hamilton wasn't blocking, how could he? He was in fuel save mode.

Rosberg was told to stay position and to not challenge, so that was Rosberg staying close in case Brawn changed his mind to let him pass. Sheesh.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 306 13.1%