Braking/slowing down

Kryztov

Premium
I'm not the most technical guy when it comes to race cars so excuse me up front if I don't use the proper terms for what I'm trying to ask.

Whenever playing other sims there is this feel where the wheel becomes heavier when braking or slowing down (guess thats the weight transfer moving forward?) however on AMS 2 I'm kinda missing that feeling, although it seems to there in some extend in some cars (but that might me just wanting to feel it). I tried Rfuktor and such.

Question: Is there something I can change in either the setup or the custom ffb file to enhance that?

Not as far as I know. Most of the feel under braking is just missing in AMS2 and its the biggest problem I have with the games force feedback/physics. This isn't just a feel issue either, if you let off the gas mid corner or lightly brush the brakes you wont get the car to bite in and turn more nor will that give you obvious weight in the wheel so it appears not to simulate weight transfer properly at all and it has a big knock on effect on the way the game drives. It is one of the fundamental aspects of car physics and the entire point of driving sims in my opinion, the management of weight transfer is what sim driving is largely about! In my opinion it is a big problem since I use this effect a lot in my driving style as I trail brakes to adjust balance and prefer to get my turning done early in a corner.

Last edited:
Not as far as I know. Most of the feel under braking is just missing in AMS2 and its the biggest problem I have with the games force feedback/physics. This isn't just a feel issue either, if you let off the gas mid corner or lightly brush the brakes you wont get the car to bite in and turn more nor will that give you obvious weight in the wheel so it appears not to simulate weight transfer properly at all and it has a big knock on effect on the way the game drives. It is one of the fundamental aspects of car physics and the entire point of driving sims in my opinion, the management of weight transfer is what sim driving is largely about! In my opinion it is a big problem since I use this effect a lot in my driving style as I trail brakes to adjust balance and prefer to get my turning done early in a corner.
Too bad, I was hoping this was just some setting I missed. I really like the sim as far as graphics and content go but this missing feature kind off makes the immersion a lot less and I find myself reverting to the older sims again. Hopefully Reiza will fix this in the future. I think the feature was there in PC2 (I think?) so the engine should support it I guess.

Last edited:
That sounds entirely like a FFB problem, not a physics problem. What FFB settings are you using?

Idk a lot of people put FX to 0 and LFB to 0 and those can be very wrong and lose you valuable information in the signal. Things like that.
Cheers, that actually improved the overal ffb a lot, did not really add to the breaking part though where it feels kinda like raceroom for me now. But maybe RF2 and AC over exaggerate it a bit too much, dunno, never driven a real racecar.

Cheers, that actually improved the overal ffb a lot, did not really add to the breaking part though where it feels kinda like raceroom for me now. But maybe RF2 and AC over exaggerate it a bit too much, dunno, never driven a real racecar.
One of the fantastic things about the custom files is they can be tailored to your individual preferences, way beyond the sliders. This means going into the custom file itself using notepad and changing some of the values.

There is a line under rack forces in my custom that reads:

(brake_feel 1.5)

Try posting into the same custom ffb thread you found the file and describe what you are looking for and someone may tell you what values to change in your file.

Hope this helps.

One of the fantastic things about the custom files is they can be tailored to your individual preferences, way beyond the sliders. This means going into the custom file itself using notepad and changing some of the values.

There is a line under rack forces in my custom that reads:

(brake_feel 1.5)

Try posting into the same custom ffb thread you found the file and describe what you are looking for and someone may tell you what values to change in your file.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I might want to fiddle around with that a little myself first then and get some knowledge myself.

# Dynamic adjustment to brake feel based on car weight
#

(brake_weight_scale (/ 500 (/ (+ corner_FL corner_FR) 9.8)))
(brake_weight_scale (+ 1 (* brake_feel_follow_weight (- brake_weight_scale 1))))
(brake_feel (/ brake_feel brake_weight_scale))
It seems to be there but I have no idea what to do with it. I asked on the Reiza forums just now.

Last edited:
Thanks, I might want to fiddle around with that a little myself first then and get some knowledge myself.

It seems to be there but I have no idea what to do with it. I asked on the Reiza forums just now.
cool. Some of that stuff is the actual code. The custom ffb creators made the “scalers”, so all we would need to do is increase that one number.
The example I gave was “brake feel 1.5”, you would just change that to “2.0”, for example.

cool. Some of that stuff is the actual code. The custom ffb creators made the “scalers”, so all we would need to do is increase that one number.
The example I gave was “brake feel 1.5”, you would just change that to “2.0”, for example.
Increased some of the variabels and it gives a much better brake feeling now. Gonna need some more tweaking though, but looks like it can do it. Cheers!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 288 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%