Braking distance

I've watched some fast guy going around in Mugello and realized that my braking distance is much longer. Same car, 100% braking force, my speed even 3-7 km/s slower, and at the first turn, I have to brake just before the 50m sign, while those guys brake far beyond that. How on Earth? What else has influence on braking distance in setup?

I've watched some fast guy going around in Mugello and realized that my braking distance is much longer. Same car, 100% braking force, my speed even 3-7 km/s slower, and at the first turn, I have to brake just before the 50m sign, while those guys brake far beyond that. How on Earth? What else has influence on braking distance in setup?
can You post That "fast guy" video here - it would be easier if we could see it

If i had to guess, i'd say it's the way those guys brake. The idea is to brake hard at first and decrease it when you are close to the turn, otherwise you encounter massive understeer (most of the times) and you feel like braking more, which obviously slow you down even more. If you could provide a video of you driving around Mugello...that would be great.

Also, depending on the car, you can break harder at first without locking up, because downforce still gives you enough grip, which will obviously decrease as you decelerate.
Or are you using ABS anyway?

Yes, I use ABS. Without that, I tend to block the wheels. I'm gonna record my driving, and some other guy's driving. But where can I share the video? And plus... ain't I supposed to ask permission from the guy I record?

Yes, I use ABS. Without that, I tend to block the wheels. I'm gonna record my driving, and some other guy's driving. But where can I share the video? And plus... ain't I supposed to ask permission from the guy I record?
Nah just hide his name eventually.

Suspension setup can have an effect. Recently I noticed that in Monza T1. I set front ride height on the GT2 Ferrari too low. Thus the springs had not enough room to work, tires lost grip and wheels locked up more easily. I had to brake much sooner to work around that.

However I guess in your case the faster guy is braking more into the turn, easing off the brake when starting to turn in.

Yes, I use ABS. Without that, I tend to block the wheels.
ABS leads to longer braking distances by itself. The best advice would be to practice, practice and practice, and get used to manipulating the brake on the edge of tyre grip without it. The same technique will be useful with ABS on as well, as you can maximize the braking effect without electronics kicking in and lowering brake pressure to a safe level, which will be a tad lower than what you could achieve by manually balancing it.

ABS leads to longer braking distances by itself. The best advice would be to practice, practice and practice, and get used to manipulating the brake on the edge of tyre grip without it. The same technique will be useful with ABS on as well, as you can maximize the braking effect without electronics kicking in and lowering brake pressure to a safe level, which will be a tad lower than what you could achieve by manually balancing it.
This is something i always wondered. It's weird how some of the most basic stuff don't get mentioned anywhere.

If you have more questions: click on the create a thread button and ask :) That's what we have a forum for :)
I often do actually. Anyway this was the kind of question that doesn't bother me much and so i haven't asked. Last time i asked something someone said it was a stupid question. No admin corrected him.

This has been one of my concerns for a long time too...is the in-game brake gamma tool setting a matter of personal taste?...or best to have a higher gamma?...ie...needing more foot pressure for lower braking (or is a linear line better?)...another thing I worry about is the brake bias...what difference does having the brakes more forward or backward make?...i'm guessing it makes a big difference depending on RWD or FWD etc..
Any how...cheers lads.

Please do link me to that thread as we don't allow that. Although we can't read each and every post on this forum of course. Under each post is a "report" button that inform a moderator when you click it.
It has been edited 40 minutes ago, i guess there's no need to link it now. Anyway admins were already in the conversation, that's why i didn't report in the first place.

...is the in-game brake gamma tool setting a matter of personal taste?

I think it's a matter of taste. I've tried messing with it before and had somewhat positive results in a few cars I was having trouble with. But in the end I went back to default and tried to learn my pedal instead of changing the way the input worked. That way I can apply it to all sims equally with no need to mess with settings in each one.

This has been one of my concerns for a long time too...is the in-game brake gamma tool setting a matter of personal taste?...or best to have a higher gamma?...ie...needing more foot pressure for lower braking (or is a linear line better?)...another thing I worry about is the brake bias...what difference does having the brakes more forward or backward make?...i'm guessing it makes a big difference depending on RWD or FWD etc..
Any how...cheers lads.
The gamma is purely for personal taste. With pedals that have shorter travel or less resistance, you can work around difficulties with increasing gamma. For example, with my stock G27 pedals I used a gamma of around 1.5-2.0. But once I fitted a GTEye progressive brake spring, I pulled it down to a fully linear setting, as I had the necessary feedback from the pedal to properly manipulate the brake on the lower half of the input. With my current T3PA setup with conical brake mod I actually found anything not linear to be distracting. :)
Regarding brake bias, it's all about the balance of the car and the characteristics of the track. During braking, you'll have more load on the front tyres, which equals to more grip potential as well. On a track like Monza, or any track where you have low speed turns after a long straight, a more forward bias can help to achieve shorter braking distances. You'll heat up your tyres more though, which will adversely affect your cornering capabilities, and you have to be careful to properly balance the car before turn in, or you'll face a lot of understeer. Put the bias too front and the rear might want to catch on you during braking, or even the fronts can get over their edge of grip and you'll just fly off the track in a straight line.
A general rule is that RWD can appreciate a more forward bias, while FWD more to the rear, due to the driven axle and their overall weight balance characteristics. Moving the bias to the rear can also be better for trail braking. Give it too much though and you'll be struggling with oversteer and longer than optimal braking distances due to the rear end loosing grip or blocking.

The gamma is purely for personal taste. With pedals that have shorter travel or less resistance, you can work around difficulties with increasing gamma. For example, with my stock G27 pedals I used a gamma of around 1.5-2.0. But once I fitted a GTEye progressive brake spring, I pulled it down to a fully linear setting, as I had the necessary feedback from the pedal to properly manipulate the brake on the lower half of the input. With my current T3PA setup with conical brake mod I actually found anything not linear to be distracting. :)
Regarding brake bias, it's all about the balance of the car and the characteristics of the track. During braking, you'll have more load on the front tyres, which equals to more grip potential as well. On a track like Monza, or any track where you have low speed turns after a long straight, a more forward bias can help to achieve shorter braking distances. You'll heat up your tyres more though, which will adversely affect your cornering capabilities, and you have to be careful to properly balance the car before turn in, or you'll face a lot of understeer. Put the bias too front and the rear might want to catch on you during braking, or even the fronts can get over their edge of grip and you'll just fly off the track in a straight line.
A general rule is that RWD can appreciate a more forward bias, while FWD more to the rear, due to the driven axle and their overall weight balance characteristics. Moving the bias to the rear can also be better for trail braking. Give it too much though and you'll be struggling with oversteer and longer than optimal braking distances due to the rear end loosing grip or blocking.
Very informative...many thanks :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing