Braking "death wiggle"

Hey guys

I just reinstalled my GSC, and my mods and such. Made directories for them all, yadda yadda yadda. But I am having an issue that I seem to remember never having...?

VERY
often, when I get on the brakes from high speed, the car will yaw inward, and any attempt to correct this will just lead to all control being lost, lock ups, spins, horrible things. And this happens to me almost all the time. I can do about 1 lap, but it will definitely happen within the first 3. It occurs on both mod cars, and tracks, as well as default content -- but only some. Some mod content works great, some default content works great. Seems to not really follow any specific logic.

If I am not doing a good job at explaining, please let me know since it's a very easy issue to re-create, I can make a video quickly to show it.

I think it has something to do with my controls not being fully setup right or something, but I cant tell what else to adjust aside from something on the "rates" page. Everything feels more muddy, slow, and unresponsive, and that's not how I remember it being. I remember this being my favorite sim for driving physics, now it's just frustrating to try to control any cars since the controls are so unresponsive.

Tips?

Perhaps your brakes are extremely sensitive that you're getting full braking after only a little push on the pedals, rather than having a full 'range' of the pedal? Try lowering the brake sensitivity and see if that helps.

Also, check that your FFB isn't inverted. If you're on -75%, try making it +75% and see if it helps, sometimes reversed FFB can pull the wheel to one side and give you all sorts of trouble. I understand this suggestion might be a really basic one, but can't hurt to check.

Perhaps your brakes are extremely sensitive that you're getting full braking after only a little push on the pedals, rather than having a full 'range' of the pedal? Try lowering the brake sensitivity and see if that helps.

Also, check that you're FFB isn't inverted. If you're on -75%, try making it +75% and see if it helps, sometimes reversed FFB can pull the wheel to one side and give you all sorts of trouble. I understand this suggestion might be a really basic one, but can't hurt to check.
Hey -- I am all for simple solutions! I'll give it a shot, I do notice that the FFB is severely inconsistent and tends to pull me around sometimes, but it usually happens regardless of which direction the FFB is set to. I just thought it was an issue with the mods.

Some mods might have inversed FFB, so check it with default content. Then you can figure out your correct FFB setting; you can then change the realfeel ini file for mods (I can explain that later, I just don't have GSC installed where I am right now).

Some mods might have inversed FFB, so check it with default content. Then you can figure out your correct FFB setting; you can then change the realfeel ini file for mods (I can explain that later, I just don't have GSC installed where I am right now).
When it comes to default content, I seem to notice the yawing issue most in the Opala Stock. Could that maybe be by design since they weren't exactly the most advanced cars back in the day? Maybe the weight transfer from back to front was a little much for these little guys back in the day? I dont know, but if I basically opposite lock in the other direction right when it starts to happen, it seems to catch itself, which leads me to believe it's just something that is "by design" since these cars are so technologically downgraded from what we are used to? Maybe the mods are using a very basic physics package as well, which give this effect in them too?

When it comes to default content, I seem to notice the yawing issue most in the Opala Stock. Could that maybe be by design since they weren't exactly the most advanced cars back in the day? Maybe the weight transfer from back to front was a little much for these little guys back in the day? I dont know, but if I basically opposite lock in the other direction right when it starts to happen, it seems to catch itself, which leads me to believe it's just something that is "by design" since these cars are so technologically downgraded from what we are used to? Maybe the mods are using a very basic physics package as well, which give this effect in them too?
The Opala's might not be the best car to test with as yes, they can pull around a bit. You can play with the brake bias though. I'd take a car you know is more stable, such as the F3, and see how it feels. Determine whether it's a GSC issue, wheel/pedal issue, setup issue, or just incorrect braking technique. Maybe pull a setup from our setup section. GSCE (and FTrucks) are my favourite race sims by a long shot, so stick at it :thumbsup:

The Opala's might not be the best car to test with as yes, they can pull around a bit. You can play with the brake bias though. I'd take a car you know is more stable, such as the F3, and see how it feels. Determine whether it's a GSC issue, wheel/pedal issue, setup issue, or just incorrect braking technique. Maybe pull a setup from our setup section. GSCE (and FTrucks) are my favourite race sims by a long shot, so stick at it :thumbsup:
GSC has been my favorite sim ever since I tried it! I know the potential this sim has, just having a frustrating issue that I dont recall having in my previous years of using GSC.

Here's a video I took (I know, not standard content) but it shows the issue. I put some effort into really pointing out the issue just in case. ;)

I will try the F3 now, but I really do think it's probably a setup / sensitive pedal issue. Lets keep trying! ;)

Video:

GSC has been my favorite sim ever since I tried it! I know the potential this sim has, just having a frustrating issue that I dont recall having in my previous years of using GSC.

Here's a video I took (I know, not standard content) but it shows the issue. I put some effort into really pointing out the issue just in case. ;)

I will try the F3 now, but I really do think it's probably a setup / sensitive pedal issue. Lets keep trying! ;)

Video:
From the video your brakes are locking. If that is the issue, try it with ABS on and see if the steering is better.

The video is hard to see what's going on; any chance of an on board, preferably default content, so the Opala? I can't tell if you're braking in a straight line, for example, but I can hear tyres locking up. Turn on ABS like Paul suggests and tell us if it's the same.

Just solved a lot of issues by selecting the appropriate profile for my wheel. (I guess Reiza puts them there for a reason! ;)) but the FIA 2010 mod, Clio, and Opala still stuffer from the yawing in thingy.
That always helps things ;)

You may still need to tune it in. Once you have the basics its mainly about personal preference which means trial and error unfortunately.

Okay, next questions: what steering rotation are you using, with what steering lock?
I'll have to do some googling to see if I can help you, it seems rather strange. You tried all the suggestions so far, yes?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%