Braking "death wiggle"

Hey guys

I just reinstalled my GSC, and my mods and such. Made directories for them all, yadda yadda yadda. But I am having an issue that I seem to remember never having...?

VERY
often, when I get on the brakes from high speed, the car will yaw inward, and any attempt to correct this will just lead to all control being lost, lock ups, spins, horrible things. And this happens to me almost all the time. I can do about 1 lap, but it will definitely happen within the first 3. It occurs on both mod cars, and tracks, as well as default content -- but only some. Some mod content works great, some default content works great. Seems to not really follow any specific logic.

If I am not doing a good job at explaining, please let me know since it's a very easy issue to re-create, I can make a video quickly to show it.

I think it has something to do with my controls not being fully setup right or something, but I cant tell what else to adjust aside from something on the "rates" page. Everything feels more muddy, slow, and unresponsive, and that's not how I remember it being. I remember this being my favorite sim for driving physics, now it's just frustrating to try to control any cars since the controls are so unresponsive.

Tips?

Try 540 degrees in game and any profiler you use (what wheel is it?) with 23 degrees lock.

You need to change this in the controller file in the user data folder.

Steering Wheel Range="540"

Make sure any profiler has this setting as well so the wheel and game match.

Steering Lock is in "Garage 1" on the right hand side. Also you can change Wheel rotation directly in the controls options in game now, no need to edit PLR.

To me it looks indeed like you're using a wrong steering ratio, the Opalas do wander about a bit on those narrow tyres and if you're using 900 degrees without lock changes in garage the steering inputs might be just to small to react accordingly.
I use 900 degrees for the GSCE Minis & Opalas (as well as Ftruck) also but then it is necessary to put the steering lock in garage to something like 30-33 (imo 33 works best).

Another thing, when i had my G25 there was no need to have the profiler running once i've set it up, with my G27 the settings get messed up if it's not running in the background, don't ask me why:O_o:.

I think that still means only visual to match the onboard wheel. Wheel rotation set with controller, lock set in garage 1.

Also default brake pressure can be set here, default 90, set lower if you need it, tho may degrade performance setting too low I expect.

I remember trying the old stock cars when I first bought GSCE, they were pretty entertaining under brakes, a lot of cadence braking nursing them into the corner. I also remember thinking it would take some time to master.

Only racing the 2013 stock cars at the moment, but it's the same when the car is unsettled, before T3 and T6(?) on Salvador is a prime example, it's easy to get turned around.

How much previous experience have you had with the Opalas? It looks like your still braking after the initial dive, also ABS whilst helping control should theoretically still unbalance the car (havnt tried ABS with GSC), that's why the results are the same. The weight transfer is initially identical.

Hard to tell not seeing your control inputs.

Last edited:
Set all, 540 + 22 degrees steering lock is my preference, it's a realistic combination.
540 in wheel software then 540 in GSC controller tab so the in-car wheel matches your inputs, then in garage 1, add 22 degrees in the garage.

The above is my preference and widely used, you can try any suggested but this a good base line.

I don't drive the Opalas but what's happening here (from what I can tell) doesn't seem unique, smooth inputs, slow off the throttle, ease on the brake, when it dives (or starts to) release the brake while correct with steering, brake again, repeat.
Edit: it's all one motion.

One thing I remember also from the first Opala drive was when braking it was a matter of practice to know when the car had "gone", felt very old school GT legends (which I like!).

Not sure of your experience here apologies if I'm going over old ground.

Last edited:
I just noticed this thread and I am experiencing the same issue with getting sideways while giving a little braking into a corner.
Depending what car your referring to, if your braking and turning you will be upsetting the balance of the car. Depending on your style, slow in fast out etc. I always try to have all my braking done before turning for the apex. Obviously some cars/classes are more sensitive to this.

Just snuck out of bed and had a lap or three in the Opala around Curitiba and Cascavel.

Curitiba, out of the pits, onto the main straight, braked just before the 100m mark and the car spun to the right, the wheel was straight, I hadn't started steering into T1. So it seems you experiences may be quite normal.

After a few laps of drifting fun it seems the technique that I previously stated is in order, the car will follow the direction of any camber or bump other than totally flat under braking.

On Cascavel, the corner before the main straight was entertaining at times, the straight leading up to it is nice and flat so braking was fine, then a pull to the left, lift off brake and counter, brake, a pull to the right, repeat, then a drift around the corner, it felt like RBR sometimes.

Slightly off topic, still have limited experience with these but they turn fantastically, depending on the corner, just lifting off the throttle is all they need, sometimes a little stab on the brake may be in order, then throttle out of the turn using the wheel like driving a bus if you haven't quite nailed the throttle control properly, which I didn't most of the time...:)

Anyway, long story short (I digressed but GSCE is just too much fun), your video looks quite doable Slade.

The video to me looks like an issue with brake balance, try moving it to the front, i.e. 60:40 or so for the F3 and 70:30 for the Opala. If I have it on default, most of the Formula cars will constantly go out of control in that way, if I change brake balance to the front they will stay on course perfectly fine. Has nothing to do with steering, just driving straight and braking hard will make the car spin.

Last edited:
The video to me looks like an issue with brake balance, try moving it to the front, i.e. 60:40 or so. If I have it on default, most of the Formula cars will constantly go out of control in that way, if I change brake balance to the front they will stay on course perfectly fine. Has nothing to do with steering, just driving straight and braking hard will make the car spin.
Even if the rears aren't locking -- it will still want to come around?

Yup, crazy weight transfer. Front dips around she goes.

Edit: I also agree with Grumble, BB will certainly turn you around, and in this case may exacerbate your problem if your still under brakes when the car is wanting to go.

But as it stands the rears inherently want to beat the front when unbalanced, most likely you could dial a lot of this out in setup (not sure whats there) but I expect they are always going to be on the loose side.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 350 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years