rF2 Brabham BT20 @ Rouen-Les-Essarts - Thu 18 Jun 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
The way I chill out and relax these days seems to be when I make some liveries. Zen moments! So, inspired by the quick talk last Thursday about making "classic liveries", I had my Zen-moment tonight :) Cars based on classic racing colours found on Motorsport Memorial, and a couple that I found no info about, so had to make something up.

RNBAjfV.jpg

@Daniel Kornblum (because I forgot that you made your own) - DL Link
@Stig Bidstrup - DL Link
@newbert - DL Link

ybDVFfL.jpg

@Denis Betty - DL Link (wanted to give you more than just BRG, so added the BRM touch)
@max1966i - DL Link Scottish, based on Rob Walker
@Rui F. Martins - DL Link I was very surprised when I saw that Portuguese colors were red/white!

DQjHthE.jpg

@Redvaliant - DL Link - Irish being unique, having a band around the car!
@Victor Jimenez - DL Link (Alonso-number, made your car before I started using sign-up numbers)
@Kresh - DL Link - No historic racing colors for Albania, so I made my idea of it. (also made your car before I started using sign up numbers, used the one from your avatar)

To use liveries in game:
Choose a car in game(remember the number on the car). Click tuning/customize, and "create dir".
Find the created folder in: Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\Brabham_1966\BT20_(number on car)
Unpack zip-file. Paste the dds file there, and choose it on tuning/customize in game. Voila! :)

As always. I don't expect any of you to use them, and don't feel like you have to either. As I said, it is my way of relaxing, chilling and clear my mind. And this was pretty fun as well :)

Terrific work, Ole! Thank you. Will this new skin make me any faster? ;)

Unfortunately I can't get this to work.

I chose the slot for Car #2 so created the "BT20_2" sub-directory as you instructed. I downloaded and unpacked the zip-file for my car (#10), then moved that file into the "BT2-_2" sub-directory. But now I don't see where to choose it in game. I see "Tuning" but I don't see "Customize" anywhere.

Can you help me out?

Meanwhile I'll keep practicing with the stock skin.

Terrific work, Ole! Thank you. Will this new skin make me any faster? ;)

Unfortunately I can't get this to work.

I chose the slot for Car #2 so created the "BT20_2" sub-directory as you instructed. I downloaded and unpacked the zip-file for my car (#10), then moved that file into the "BT2-_2" sub-directory. But now I don't see where to choose it in game. I see "Tuning" but I don't see "Customize" anywhere.

Can you help me out?

Meanwhile I'll keep practicing with the stock skin.

I wish, either faster or less spinning! :whistling:

I use the old User Interface, but the idea are the same regardless.

Click "Tuning" that you can find at the bottom on the old UI (it's called customize in the new UI)
0V0FvAe.png

Then you end up with a screen like this one. (where you hopefully went to click "create dir", so you already know this.
lBNXXRL.png

If you stay on that screen after pasting the DDS file in to the folder of your choice (BT20_2) then click "reload" on this screen. If you went out of it, restarted the game or anything like that. Just re-enter the tuning screen.
Where it says "variants" you will have some arrows. Click either left or right, and the "alt_ber" should show up in the NART-colors! Then just go out of this tuning screen and click race! :)
KorYqT8.png

Thank you Ole, I've got it sorted out now. (The arrows under "variant" are so light-colored as to almost be invisible to my eye.)

Now, that said -- Can anyone help me out with a tip or two to arrive at a stable set up? I've already played with the gearing, lowered the ride height to minimum and minimized tire pressures. But I'm often sliding out of control in turns 1 and 2 and on the last turn before the S/F line. I can't seem to correct the slide once it starts - I end up over-correcting.

I played a lot of GPL back in the day, so developed a light touch on both throttle and brake - much to my detriment in modern sims. I thought that my driving style would help me to at least survive in this particular race, but it doesn't seem so. (This car/track combo in GPL has lots more grip and "controllability" than it does here... :( )

Thank you Ole, I've got it sorted out now. (The arrows under "variant" are so light-colored as to almost be invisible to my eye.)

Now, that said -- Can anyone help me out with a tip or two to arrive at a stable set up? I've already played with the gearing, lowered the ride height to minimum and minimized tire pressures. But I'm often sliding out of control in turns 1 and 2 and on the last turn before the S/F line. I can't seem to correct the slide once it starts - I end up over-correcting.

I played a lot of GPL back in the day, so developed a light touch on both throttle and brake - much to my detriment in modern sims. I thought that my driving style would help me to at least survive in this particular race, but it doesn't seem so. (This car/track combo in GPL has lots more grip and "controllability" than it does here... :( )

Alright Bert.
So in its general setup the car is pretty unstable under braking and obviously has a lot of power overtseer. When you brake into a corner, the back of the car steps out. Same under acceleration.

Braking:
If you have a look at the brake bias settings in the garage you´ll see that it´s at 50:50.
This is actually a bit uncommon since normally you have the bias more towards the front.
Why?
If you brake/decelerate the weight of the car shifts forward. This means more load on the frontaxle. This means the front tyres can deal with more "brake pressure" since they have more longitunal grip.
Brake Bias set to 50:50 on this (or any car) means lock up of the real wheels under hard braking.
So first you should adjust the brake bias towards front, say 55:45 f.e.
Since the car has no onboard brake bias adjustment like a modern gt3 car, you have to get into the garage, change it, drive, see if better, get into garage, change it etc. 55:45 is a good point to start.

Another thing that helps making the car more stable is in the differential settings. There is a value called "Coast".
Basically its the grade of differential lock when the car is rolling (with engine brake torque), so without throttle application.
Lowering that value by some clicks will make quite a difference. The car should again become more stable under braking.

Accelerating:
For oversteering under throttle, so out of the corner, you could play with a stiffer front arb. rear arb softer is not really an option because it´s already very soft.
Softer antirollbar means more grip on the axle and vice versa.

Another thing to play with in case of power oversteer is again in the differential.
This time the value is called "power". This is simply how much differential lock is applied under throttle. The higher the value, the more oversteer you´ll have out of the corner. So if you struggle with oversteer out of the corner, decrease this value. It will make you a bit slower, but where is the point if you always fight the car and spin in every second corner!?

For now i would play around with the values mentioned starting with brake balance.
I´m still struggling with damper setups for myself. So mostly i leave them as is.

Setting up suspension can become quite tricky and i´m the oppinion, that you need to do much more laps to see if a change is positive or negative.
I would not lower the car to maximum. It does not really help in my oppinion in that car. You could even risk contact with car bottom and track which will slow you down even more etc.

So first just focus on the stuff i mentioned to make the car comfortable for you. This already will result in being more consistent!! And consistency is key....

Hope it helps and looking forward seeing you on track!!
Cheers Dan

Thanks Daniel! Quite an education for me!

I'll play with the settings in the time leading up to the race and hope that they will help with stability/consistency.

Thanks again!
Bert

Setting up suspension can become quite tricky and i´m the oppinion, that you need to do much more laps to see if a change is positive or negative.

I believe Colin Chapman had something to say about this?

Edit: Found it.

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver. "

Hope it helps and looking forward seeing you on track!!
Cheers Dan

Great post! :)

But like all other races (except R2 last Thursday when I went and bastarderized the Howston setup (which worked)) I'll just put this in my bank of knowledge, and keep racing default setup :)
There are many things I learned from my early simracing days, like "Slow cars teaches you how to drive fast" or "You change gears way to often". But also "No need to work on setups unless you are able to handle a car properly, then you can start work on setup to get some more tenths out of it". I guess I've never considered myself good enough to spend time on setups :whistling:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%