Bought a subscription to iRacing today...

And managed to finish second on a Mazda race! Yay... one thing that struck me as odd though, how the heck do I have access to Indycar ovals from the get go? Those cars are beasts!!!

Anyhow, ffb is quite nice and it runs really well in VR. Now i just need to figure out a way to actually see the actual mirrors.

Enjoyed it. Will play more.

I joined recently too. If you can get out of d class you get to race in the Ferrari GT3 Challenge which is pretty cool to be fair. Races are 15 mins I think and fairly action packed.
iRacing is pretty good the way you can just jump on when it suits you.
But it can be expensive when you start adding cars and tracks. It's like anything else tho, it's expensive if your not racing regulate and good value if you are on it regular and getting your money's worth .

You can adjust the mirrors in iRacing. When you are in car, press F9 and you will have mirror adjustment black box. The mirrors will adjust their view point when you move your head in VR, (kind of like real life).

You can also enable a virtual mirror which you can move around in a limited space, use shortcut (Alt+K) to enable movement of the virtual mirror and black boxes. The virtual mirror is enabled in sim under Options, "Graphics options" tab.

In VR I usually just run the virtual mirror with a FOV of 70 and disable the side/rear view mirror. The Virtual mirror is less intensive on your PC than running side/rear view mirrors.

Was already checking out what I could get once I am out of rookie...
I think its still possible to get out of rookie in about 1 week or so.
I got so fed up with the idiots in the rookie class that I decided to get out of rookie via TT(Time Trials) + the socalled Fast Track Promotion.
Hehe I think I got promoted in under 1 week.:roflmao:
When you reach an SR rating of 4.00 or over, you will be immediately promoted to the next higher level if you have met the Minimum Participation Requirements (4 races or 4 time trials in a car of at least the license level of your current license). This is called FastTrack.

I think its still possible to get out of rookie in about 1 week or so.
I got so fed up with the idiots in the rookie class that I decided to get out of rookie via TT(Time Trials) + the socalled Fast Track Promotion.
Hehe I think I got promoted in under 1 week.:roflmao:
Yeah. I need an SR of 3.0 and have 2.74 so far. I don't know if I will be able to play today but tomorrow I am defo considering getting that so I get out of rookie. I mean, it is better than AC online lobbies but yesterday I was in a fight for secobd place and I the guy I was fighting with (who was slightly faster than me) got rammed by the idiot I 4th place on the secobd corner pushing him off track and killing his chances (he still got 3rd but like 8 seconds away).

So yeah. Are the Mazda races still available higher up the licences? Cause I quite like the car.

Sorry I cant remember what class the Mazda is running.
Idea: I dont know if you have the car but check the little SRF (Spec Racer Ford) out.
Its a very funny little car with rwd like much of the bigger cars. Good leaning car.;)

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning Time Trials I suggested in iRacings forum that it should be mandatory before being allowed into an official race that you at least have managed to run 1 or 2 TT without errors.
Hehe I was nearly killed and recieved some pretty nasty PMs from people who obviously wasnt able to run a TT session with reasonable speed without errors. :roflmao:

Sorry I cant remember what class the Mazda is running.
Idea: I dont know if you have the car but check the little SRF (Spec Racer Ford) out.
Its a very funny little car with rwd like much of the bigger cars. Good leaning car.;)

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning Time Trials I suggested in iRacings forum that it should be mandatory before being allowed into an official race that you at least have managed to run 1 or 2 TT without errors.
Hehe I was nearly killed and recieved some pretty nasty PMs from people who obviously wasnt able to run a TT session with reasonable speed without errors. :roflmao:
I do have the spec racer! I am counting on doing that but I would like to do the Skip Barbers too! I really like the car. Eventually Formula 3 and maybe Porsche cup? No idea. That is so far up ahead. Tomorrow I will get the SR to move out of rookie.

Your idea has merit imho. I think it would be interesting and mandatory for any new series you want to start. Like doing team tryouts. You could be slow as hell but if you did no errors, you would get a pass.

In my iRacing days I was into the minority who beside the live official races competed in the "offline" TT competition (with rather good success;)).
And while the majority of iRacers (obviously) consider the TT competition as something that only has the possibility to "eat" their SR rating if they at the same time try to drive the TT sessions really fast then I (as mentioned) managed to do so.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning the little SRF it will be exciting what happens when it get V7 shoes:)

wait wait wait, Bruno giving iRacing advice? and sound one, too?

as for the OP, there are many older threads here concerning what to look out for and what to do in iRacing, yearning for the Skip Barber being definitely one of the must-dos in any iRacers career. It's now on the latest iteration of the tire model and the new damage beta, so better than ever (though there are some serious issues with the latter beta atm, people getting disconnected etc. I'd wait till that gets patched). For further advice check this:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/new-to-iracing-asking-some-tips.146900/

and some more info from another post I did way back: To avoid the melee in Rookies, start from pits: To start from pits, simply do not join the grid during the two min. prep time but only after the starting lights have come on. You will be sitting in your pit stall and a counter at the top of the screen will count down the 15 or so seconds till you can start. Watch out for pit lane speed limit, though, it's already active an the Rookie cars don't have a limiter!
Also, before any start in the lower classes, set your fuel intake at pit to zero and unclick your tire change (F4 and F5 screen), that way you will only get the quick repair if you are involved in a crash and not the normal pit activity on top. Quick repairs are non-existent in the higher classes, though, but this procedure still makes sense because it cuts down on pit time after a crash anyway.

wait wait wait, Bruno giving iRacing advice? and sound one, too?
If you had been a bit more unbiased and unprejudiced my good man :sneaky: you could find several posts from me both giving some of your iRacing advises but also frankly expressing that EXCEPT iRacings lousy TM iRacings 24/7 service is top notch.
And seen from my view an almost perfect virtual racing service.;)
Hehe and to the contrary of many others I have allways prefered iRacings graphics and track display against the competition.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Talking about being unbiased and unprejudiced then I think its a bit strange that both you and specially all the former extremely agressive defenders of iRacings sooo phantastic and advanced tire model (pre V7) have been very silent and completely absent of admitting that the TM iRacing are now aborting have been a 10 year long disaster.
And probably worst in class:roflmao::roflmao:
Hehe I have ealier linked to GamerMuscles review in the Dalara with the V7 where he to the contrary of all the formerly aggressive defenders are not afraid of saying iRacings former TMs have been some utter BS.
Sooo..:whistling::whistling:

I plead ignorance, I enjoyed all their tire models so far, way too far off the limit to tell the difference. I thought the last one tried out on the skippy was fine, when everyone hated it. If it does not get in the way of me enjoying the game, no probs. No clue what a real race car feels anyway. Ignorance, as they say, is indeed bliss.

Well, I also started this week, might have been Wednesday too! I raced three MX-5 races and got promoted to D-class. I found the Mazda races quite fine, I think twice someone touched my car from behind, but other than that it was great and has some battles as well!

I tried the fixed Ferrari, but that will take some learning and most of the tracks are unfamiliar too. I got the Skippy too, I think that will be something I'll concentrate on and continue with the MX-5.

Last edited:
Well, I also started this week, might have been Wednesday too! I raced three MX-5 races and got promoted to D-class. I found the Mazda races quite fine, I think twice someone touched my car from behind, but other than that it was great and has some battles as well!

I tried the fixed Ferrari, but that will take some learning and most of the tracks are unfamiliar too. I got the Skippy too, I think that will be something I'll concentrate on and continue with the MX-5.
Yeah, I am out of rookie too. D license club!

Anyway, tried the srf got the Skippy (and got promptly disconnected from my first race duento a weird bug) and the Porsche cup car.

The SRF is using the old tyre model and my word... It is not good. Like, useable but definitely not good. Compared to the mx5 or the skip barbers it is atrocious. Gone is that nice progressive feeling and you go to on-off tyres where you are fine until you slightly go over the edge and then you are upside down throwing up in a bucket (VR user).
I softened the ARBs and that helped... somewhat. The car now takes longer to lose grip. But the same problem persists. Once you go, you go. Frankly, the car feels too tight if that makes sense.

Still, all in the name of improving irating. Fun fact, got promoted in 4 races. The two Mazda races I did today went terrible. The first one I was in second and holding that position. Then a random asshole rammed me in corner 3 from the side and my steering wheel had to be pointed 90 degrees for the car to run straight.

Second race, I was second too and keeping up with number 1. First corner on the 3rd or 4thap I touch the grass and just lost the car. Back to pits for refreshments! Came out last finished 6th overall ^^ not bad. Really like how the mx5 drives. It feels like a real car.

The SRF is using the old tyre model and my word... It is not good. Like, useable but definitely not good. Compared to the mx5 or the skip barbers it is atrocious. Gone is that nice progressive feeling and you go to on-off tyres where you are fine until you slightly go over the edge and then you are upside down throwing up in a bucket (VR user).
I softened the ARBs and that helped... somewhat. The car now takes longer to lose grip. But the same problem persists. Once you go, you go. Frankly, the car feels too tight if that makes sense.
You are exactly describing what has been wrong with iRacings former lousy tire model(s).;)
Even if you dont use the word "binary" then others have described it as a binary feeling when you reach the grip "border" point: Now you have grip - now you dont.
And hello gras or wall :roflmao:
The reason I recommended the tiny SRF is only because I could recall that if you learn to keep the cornering speed under this grip "border" point then its a good learning car (inside the pre V7 TMs limitations) conserning the weight change that happens when you brake in to a corner.:)

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Be aware that if you inside iRacings forum criticise the (now old) tire models there is still a lot of people telling you that its your own fault because you dont know how to drive and setting the car up.:roflmao::roflmao:

You are exactly describing what has been wrong with iRacings former lousy tire model(s).;)
Even if you dont use the word "binary" then others have described it as a binary feeling when you reach the grip "border" point: Now you have grip - now you dont.
And hello gras or wall :roflmao:
The reason I recommended the tiny SRF is only because I could recall that if you learn to keep the cornering speed under this grip "border" point then its a good learning car (inside the pre V7 TMs limitations) conserning the weight change that happens when you brake in to a corner.:)

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Be aware that if you inside iRacings forum criticise the (now old) tire models there is still a lot of people telling you that its your own fault because you dont know how to drive and setting the car up.:roflmao::roflmao:

Yeah. I think it is a fun car to drive inside the limitations of the engine. I see those tyres more like a rubber band... You push and you feel the resistance increasing until you push too hard and it snaps.

Well, fanboys be fanboys I guess. But if some of those people criticise project cars 2 physics and like that tyre model then I guess by 2019 rules I cannot be friends with them and have to call them bigots...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 274 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 184 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 185 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 137 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 243 13.5%