Bottas won't be a "second" driver

Bottas second.jpg
Being the dominant team in Formula One comes with some disadvantages, not least of all the tension between your drivers getting a little too much to handle.

That’s a problem Mercedes have been trying to find a solution to over the past three years. The team want the battle on track, but keeping things sweet off track hasn’t been so easy.

One suggestion has been to end the on track battle, and set first and second drivers. With Lewis Hamilton believed by many to be one of the strongest drivers in F1 at the moment, some have expected the team to favour the Brit as they go for their fourth consecutive driver championship.

Mercedes’ new recruit, Valtteri Bottas, doesn’t expect that to happen.

“I think Mercedes doesn’t have a number one or number two driver, and that’s pretty much up to me to perform,” he said. “As long as I do my job so that my performance on track is at the level the car should be, we’re good.”

Bottas is heading into 2017 keen to show he’s earned his role at the team, and expects a tough challenge from his new teammate, but he thinks he will rise to the task.

“For me, it’s a great opportunity,” he said. “For sure, it’s a big challenge, there’s no doubt I will definitely need to prove myself to a lot of people and to the team that I deserve the place, but I just see things very positively. I see it as a great opportunity for my career to fight for wins and hopefully even for the championship.

“Going against Lewis, I am pretty excited about that. He’s a three-time world champion, he’s a great reference, and everyone knows how good he is as a driver. So it’s great to be the teammate to Lewis and I wish we can have a very strong year in this new era of Formula One.”

If Mercedes aren’t going to put a stop to any on track battles, does that mean we can expected another heated rivalry off track? Well, probably not. For starters, Bottas doesn’t share the same relationship and history with Hamilton as Nico Rosberg did. The pair start with a relatively clean slate, and not an entire life of competing.

Bottas has found working with Hamilton over testing “very good” and expects that to continue into the season.

“In testing, we managed to work well as a team and there was a good team spirit the whole time,” he said. “I see no reason why it shouldn’t continue like that.”

It’s too early to tell whether Bottas is right. We’ve yet to see the young Finn in the environment he’s in now. Not only is he in a car capable of winning a championship for the first time in his F1 career, he’s also up against a driver of a much higher standard than either of his previous two teammates.

If Bottas is good enough to rise to the challenge on track (and we don’t know for sure yet if he will), it will be interesting to see how he reacts to any mind games off track.

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Do you think Mercedes will let their drivers fight, or is it time for them to set first and second drivers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Whilst a lot of people knocked Nico, I don't think Bottas is on his level as a driver therefore i don't expect him to perform too well this year... Having said that he could surprise me but i don't see him winning a race nor keeping the seat going into 2018. Which would be sad because i think he is a good driver. so maybe when Massa leaves at the end of 2017 Williams get Bottas Back?

Last edited:
People have been hyping Bottas up for a few years now, so it will be interesting to see how well he does. I'm not expecting McLaren 2008 or anything, but I definitely think Lewis is going to have a strong season in response to last year's disappointments.

I think Bottas would be better off if Mercedes just came out and said he's our number two. If he tries to play the mind game with Hamilton off track he surely will lose the fight on track. The edge Hamilton had on Nico was just as much emotion as it was talent IMO.

I think Hamilton is in for a surprise. There are many drivers currently in F1 who, given the right car (Mercedes) are very fast and would give Lewis a run for his money. If you're not in the top 3 teams, the only measuring stick is the teammate. Several drivers dominated their teammates. I think Ricciardo or Verstappen would give Lewis a headache in the same car. As would Alonzo, Vettel, Kimi even as he proved last year.
The big IF for me is who will adapt better or quicker to the new car/new rules? Who's driving style does the new car suit best?

Bottas shouldn't be underestimated. Just like with rosberg, any slip-up by hamilton will be costly, and maybe even more this time around, especially with ferrari & williams looking very competitive. Obviously, outright pace can't be determined until australia but i don't think we'll be seeing a +30sec gap between 2nd and 3rd at the end of most races.
I have a feeling that Kimi could be a dark horse this year. I wouldn't write him out yet. That said, i think ferrari will give Vettel the better strategy everytime just like last year.

I'm getting gas-lighted into Lewis and Max worship by watching the Sky Sports Lewis Hamilton channel via Kodi, but wow, except for the commentators, the coverage is blowing my mind. It's like we switched F1 for NASCAR and I'm loving it.

Still, I'm not entirely brainwashed yet. It's easier to resist the Williams hype, but I miss hearing about the #1 story of the year last year. As for Bottas, very hard to tell, since Lewis had a teammate about as talented as Lance Stroll. And Mercedes will shut down any revolt by Bottas faster then you can say Massa. But even Bottas says "he will be a good reference" which sounds to me like "benchmark" meaning he's already second in his own mind. We shall see.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Hamilton annoys me...like, a lot. But I didn't find Nico to be a particularly sympathetic character, certainly not to the point where I could really root for him wholeheartedly.

As far as Bottas goes, I'm pretty neutral on him going into the season - he really does not induce any emotion for me either way. Now, if he demonstrates a propensity for making Lewis's life difficult and creates drama in the Teutonically robotic Merc garage, I will be on the Bottas bandwagon so fast your head will spin.

Of course, all this is predicated on Bottas being consistently competitive with Hamilton, which I don't personally take as a given. For all my annoyance with him, the one thing you won't hear me say about Lewis is that he's slow...dude can drive, no question. I think Nico was a very quick dude too, but when placed side by side with Lewis, all of a sudden he gets painted as a "glorified go kart driver" (which is a testament to Lewis's talents).

In conclusion, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for major drama! :D

I think Hamilton is just so focussed on winning much like Schummacher was in his hey day
not that I think he has anything like the skills.

This comes over as arrogant but confidence even arrogance is a good thing in sports people is a good thing most of the great's have it.

He is not afraid to drive on the edge and that I think is where Bottas could be found lacking he might do well relatively speaking to the rest of the field but in a head to head he has got his work cut out to nail Hamilton.

I think the guys have got it spot on with the Barrichello role in the Mercedes team and I think in truth Toto would probably feel that was job done if that were to happen. I think the potential fly in the ointment is Ferrari and Red Bull who might be able to bring more of fight than last year.

It will once again come down to which car is the fastest and most importantly reliable rather than driver skills as with added down force and wider tyres can't some how see the obvious skills consistency of both Ferrari drivers and the more daring have a go attitude of both drivers at Red Bull being as much of an issue as everyone is prediciting. More so especially if the Mercedes fly of in the first couple of laps catching them might be possible but passing them will be a whole different story.

I think we are all eagerly anticipating a close and exciting season but fear we are all going to be sadly dissapointed and praying for adverse weather to bring some light to what could be a very dull season.

From my point of view I'm happy for Bottas. There are many a driver who spend years in F1 and never get that chance with a top team so he's been given the opportunity and he's grabbed it with both hands. Good for him (and also for F1 I feel).

The one advantage he has is probably mental strength, Lewis has real issues when his confidence is starting to waver and loves throwing his toys out of the pram. If Valtteri is clever and pounces on this he could be a real pain in the side for Lewis. He just needs to make sure Lewis knows that he's there to beat him and not finish second to him.

He is quick and although he hasn't shone as much in testing as I thought, we really don't know for certain what the teams were doing from day to day. Melbourne will be interesting.

Bottas seems to be more of a racer too compared to Nico too so the first few races will be interesting.

I think Bottas would be better off if Mercedes just came out and said he's our number two. If he tries to play the mind game with Hamilton off track he surely will lose the fight on track. The edge Hamilton had on Nico was just as much emotion as it was talent IMO.
It may be that Hamilton is faster on track at least few first races or the whole season who knows, but one thing is for sure. If Bottas lose to Lewis on track it has nothing to do with mind game, then Lewis is just faster driver. If they start to fighf mentally there is only one winner and that's not Hamilton. I'm 100% sure of it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the Mercedes this season. I have no doubt that mentally he is strong enough to deal with Hamilton and any mind games will not effect him. We just need to see how quick he is now he is in equipment that can win races. I really hope he can take the battle to Hamilton, not because I have anything against him at all but purely because I want to see some good close racing this year.

I've been following Bottas for a bit now, even though I think F1 isn't what it used to be, but hes fast and unlike Hamilton, he has a lot to prove. I also think he has the skills and mental attitude to up his game.
It'll be an interesting season, especially with him getting used to his ride as well.
The best of luck to him !

Bottas will be just fine.
People seem to be forgetting he was at the top of the list of drivers actively courted by the top teams a few seasons back.
Remember? .....It was his speed and lack of mistakes that got him noticed.
He didn't immediately lose that when he moved to Mercedes to partner Lewis.
I personally, regard him as a very intelligent, 'thinking' driver....who just needed a good car.
He most likely has that now...good for him.
He is no one's number two....nor should he be.
Lewis is an exceptional talent and a good yardstick for Valtteri to strive for.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back