Boss 302 Season2 Round1 - Virginia - Tuesday 28th Feb 2012

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
bosslogo.jpg

Welcome to the Boss 302 Series 2.

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM BOSS
Class: Ford Mustang Boss Mod (Download)
Track: Virginia International Raceway (Download)

Practice start time: GMT 20.00
Qualification start time: GMT 20.30 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (10 laps)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.00 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.10 (10 laps)

Note1: Skins that come with the Boss Mod Only

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry & Livery Assignment:
  1. Eck Simpson - #1
  2. Ross McGregor - #2
  3. Peter Van Zanten - #8
  4. Stuart Thomson - #9
  5. Ian Strom - #14
  6. Roland Warmenhoven - #15
  7. Rickard Norgren - #16
  8. Jack Smith - #18
  9. Senad Subasic - #27
  10. Ross Garland - #28
  11. Neil Gault - #33
  12. Bob Miley - #37
  13. Hans Sneep - #40
  14. Mate Orban - #45
  15. Markus Hakamo - #70
  16. Jacob Boonstra - #83
  17. Knut Omdal Tveito - #99
  18. David Cuthill - #100
  19. Jay Adgie - #102
  20. Ondrej Kapal - #302
  21. Magnus Svensson - #1
  22. Norman Bruce - #2
  23. Matthijs Van Venderloo - #8
  24. Bob Hutchins - #9
  25. Driver - #14
  26. Driver - #15
  27. Driver - #16
  28. Driver - #18
  29. Driver - #27
  30. Driver - #28
Liveries will be assignedin numerical order as you sign up. 1st sign up gets #1, 2nd gets #2, 3rd gets #8 etc.
The assignment restarts after 20 drivers, so the 21st sign up will get #1, 22nd #2, 23rd #8 etc.

Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Sorry guys I have to go, but I loved racing with you again, amazing stuff Jack & Jay in the end! :) My onboard is a must to be posted on YouTube. I really had so much fun! But duty makes me to pull out of the second race :) I dont even want to ruin my feelings from the first one.
Thanks Thommo.
See you next week!

Two crazy races tonight, and probably my worst club performance of all time! Fudged both qualie sessions by being too aggressive, and had a large mountain to climb in both races. In race 1, i got a terrific start and tried to go for a gap between two cars (magnus and someone else) but the gap got smaller... and i was wedged in! Backed off and tried to make my way through the first lap melees, overall i think everyone did a fair job of leaving room, there was still the odd door-rub though. Gradually made my way up the order, but was miles behind Eck until the final lap when i was prettty close. Crossed the line 6th. (then got a DQ for showboating afterwards?!)

Race 2: another rapid start (too much tea) so i made up a few positions immediately, but again the usual lap one melee dropped me back a bit. Had a lap-long battle with Thommo that ended in a side-by-side, seat-of-the-pants braking manouevre at the end of the long back straight, and was now chasing the guys ahead... or at least i should've been if hadn't ballsed up turn 1. Fell behind David, then got past again, caught Eck & Roland ahead but got the 'schumacher chop' treatment a couple of times before i managed to fire off onto the outskirts of turn 1 as i couldn't see where i was going. Fell back behind David and went off again later on the last lap as i was giving it the full beans.

Overall, i'm knackered. I was rubbish in qualie, had good race pace, and was very inconsistent lap-to-lap. Still love the BOSS though!

Well done Mate for the double win, must've been boring for you! Well done Knut, Jay, Rickard for podiums. Cheers Thommo & RD.

I may not be very good at driving them, but these cars are certainly bags of fun!

Race 1 was a bit of washout for me. I got through lap one without incident but span on lap two and stalled (own fault). I then found that the starter didn't want to work, a problem I noticed others mention in TS afterwards. I use the H-Box and manual clutch, and eventually I found that putting the car in neutral AND letting the clutch fully out magically makes the starter work... any clutch input at all and it wont. I was in last and miles behind by then though. Lots of people DNF'd or got DQ'd though, so I scraped 17th. :p

Race 2 was much better for the most part. Gained a few places early on, lost them again a bit later, and had some nice little battles in between. There were three of us running close though I eventually ran off at T1 (my bogey corner) and was 18 seconds behind by the time I got going again. Bit of a lonely race from there on and I ended up 11th.

Congrats to podium finishers. Looking forward to next week's event!

That was a really nice start of the series. Had quite a lot of practice before the event and in the end the BOSS was really nice around here. But it was a really tough track to get used to in this car.

Had a good first half in race 1 after starting 6th or thereabout. Second half was a little quiet but there was no time to relax in this car.

The second race was a blast. I started at the back of the field and it was great view of the large field of Mustangs taking off. I worked my way up the field with lots of great racing along the way. I ended up behind Neil and had some great laps trying to keep up with him and Stu. Had some scary moments along the way, but really enjoyable and clean racing. After some laps I made a huge mistake at the end of the straight when I completely forgot my braking. Was able to shed off some speed before I sent the car off track to avoid Neil. Sorry about that Neil, hope I didn't cause any contact.

Thanks Stuart for organizing and to all that showed up. See yall next week.

Probably some of the most intense racing action I have ever been apart of. All good. :) My only bad experiences were of my own doing, for example, messing up the first hairpin two laps in a row in race 2 after entering it perfectly both times but losing concentration while completing the middle section. :oops: That's when Eck heard me on TS mutter something about a " &@%# lovely day". I quess that is the appeal, you need full concentration to handle these powerhouses. With so many drivers I was usually chasing or being chased by someone. My pace in practice was off somewhat but the old consistancy trick pays dividens as long as the fickled finger of fate does not bit you. I think I made one of the fastest 360 spin recoveries in the history of racing going down the first straight. I hit the right curb in the middle kinky section and did a counterclockwise spin all the way around and ended up heading in the right direction losing little momentum in the process. I wish I knew how to made a video. I'll have to do some research.

I hope the future events are as fun as this one was. Wd podiums, cheers to all drivers, and a super pick Stu.

It was a good race for me. Two pole positions and two wins without any mistake.
I've never won online race in GTL before. Really feels good to win.
It was a bit boring, but had to concentrate to not do mistakes. I managed to do a good setup and it paid off.

Thanks for organizing. Well done podium #2 and #3. In the evening I will watch the replay.

See you soon!

My first GT Legends online race after switching from GT5 to PC sims :) Thanks for everyone and Stuart for organizing!

A question, is it possible get the replay file(s) from someone, appears that I only have hot lap from race2 and 12s clip from pitbox.. :(

Did quite ok in qualifications - in the middle of the field - considering my experience but then ad bad starts especially in race 1.

Race2 went better, but few own mistakes put me in the back of the field. At the beginning of last lap I was 13th position but then in T1 braking zone someone bumbed my tail and both spun on to the grass. I lost 2 positions, the other guy became DNF I think. No hard feelings, seems clearly a racing incident to me

This was definitely one of the best online race I have ever been :cool:.

Enjoyed both races immensely on what I found to be a very challenging but great track.
I loved the very tricky braking at the end of the start straight and back straight and the kinky middle section with all the kinks and humps which was great for feeling the tyres squirting around, a couple of right hand bends I struggled with and if I could of taken them better I would of been a good second quicker per lap but I guess that is just the way of things.

Race one I was still feeling my way around the track which was obvious from the amount of little off's I had and it was not until the last 2 or 3 laps that I started to get the feel of it and drop down to the 2:06's and 7's.

Race 2 was more fun as I was running with more traffic although I nearly dispatched one of them at the start as the car kicked to the right as I got too much power down at a gear change which sent me into the side of Thommo (sorry m8).
I think I only had the one off in race 2 when I went into T1 with too much speed and ran wide. Got a bit worried as Knut started closing as I knew he was quick but I knew I was ok under braking but he still managed to put me under pressure for a little while.

I am not usually a fan of single series racing, I much prefer mixed grids but last night was fun, thnx all for some good clean racing

My first GT Legends online race after switching from GT5 to PC sims :) Thanks for everyone and Stuart for organizing!

A question, is it possible get the replay file(s) from someone, appears that I only have hot lap from race2 and 12s clip from pitbox.. :(

Did quite ok in qualifications - in the middle of the field - considering my experience but then ad bad starts especially in race 1.

Race2 went better, but few own mistakes put me in the back of the field. At the beginning of last lap I was 13th position but then in T1 braking zone someone bumbed my tail and both spun on to the grass. I lost 2 positions, the other guy became DNF I think. No hard feelings, seems clearly a racing incident to me

This was definitely one of the best online race I have ever been :cool:.

I can upload the replay when I get home from work, unless someone beat me to it.

For the future races you can change the settings in GTL so that all the replays are saved with a unique name. Just got to the folder GTL/UserData/*username*/ and find the file *username*.plr. In your .plr file you'll need to make sure this value is set to "1" :
Stuart Thomson said:
Replays Dated="1" // Replays have date in filename
That way all replays will save independent of each other. Just be aware it does fill up the replay folder this way

caught Eck & Roland ahead but got the 'schumacher chop' treatment a couple of times

Schumacher-esque maybe... I atleast, didn't wait till you were alongside... lol.

Does anyone really need to ask, what my feelings are on the car?.
VIR though, is quirky and for some reason, I couldn't work it out in practice. Too much prattling (gibbering, talking) possibly. Racing laps were faster (not Mate, Ross, Knut fast but faster, than I had seemed to be able to go) but my ability to get round the track safely, wasn't any better. I probably got better finishes, than I deserved... especially in the second race... (I could lie here, and say I was sorry...) I didn't run anyone off track... I don't think. If I did, it wasn't deliberate...

Grats to Mate on the double, the other podium finishers and anyone who made it to the end, at all. Thanks Stu, RD and my fellow racers. A great evenings entertainment.

Q1:
Went with a superfast Q setup.....I always try with a special Q setup, dunno why? Coz it has never been a succes, same was it this time, 2 offs and got me a midpack position.

R1:
Race started ok, and I could gain some position at the first bends, then coming out of the hairpin after back straight, putting on to much throttle while rear tyre still was on the curb, lost it completely and went off track into a tyre wall with front first, was very lucky when engine still worked, have found out at praccy that car is very fragile with front collisions.
Out on track did I find the car very unstable, but still ok enough for racing, must have been at last position after incident, could gain some positions before I lost it a 2nd time, so once more at the end of field, slowly learned the cars new setup, and could slowly start to push some again, had a great journey up to 7th, and I am very happy for that outcome, great racing from all guys I where close with.

Q2:
This time I went with race setup and 12 litres of gas, got me 2nd on the row.

R2:
Made an bad start, lost 2positins into T1, but could get them back at exit of the same bend, chased Mate, lost not so much time on him, and with 2 laps left was it only 4sec, so I thought to give it a last try to catch up, lost it and went into tyre wall outside t3, was lucky and bumped back in right direction and could remain 2nd, but Jay was now only a sec behind, car was ok and I managed to do the last 2 laps without any big errors, but he was very close in the end.

Well done to Mate and the podium finnishers, Thanks Thommo for one more great league, you always find the right tracks for the chosen cars, good job done

For the future races you can change the settings in GTL so that all the replays are saved with a unique name. Just got to the folder GTL/UserData/*username*/ and find the file *username*.plr. In your .plr file you'll need to make sure this value is set to "1" :

That way all replays will save independent of each other. Just be aware it does fill up the replay folder this way

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.

You can download them from my SkyDrive.

Thanks Ross!

What an awesome race night! These cars are really something special, as was the track.
So to come prepared, I practised. I practised a lot! But all of that was on an (nearly) empty track. And come race night, I soon realised that driving a car this size among 20-something others on this not-too-wide track was quite a different cup of tea.

Managed P7 in Q1, and a great R1 start got me up to 4th place, but upon approaching T3 in lap 1 there were so many cars in my view that I couldn't see my brake marks:confused: , missed the corner and came back 11th. Not long after that I went a little wide in T1, overcorrected and shouldered Jack, who was passing me, off-track on the inside. Sorry mate!:oops:
Had some great fights after that with Jack, Jay, Ondrej, who was driving the car in true rally-style :), and some others, until a few laps down I slightly nudged Jay's cars rear under braking coming down from the Rollercoaster turn. That spun him off, losing us some places. Again, sorry for that:oops: .
To make matters worse, just one lap after that, while chasing Stuart, I fully lost control when braking for T1, went off on the inside and couldn't avoid Stuart who was just entering T1:oops: . Luckily he too could go on, but I stalled my engine in the process and nothing I could do got her running again, not even this trick:
and eventually I found that putting the car in neutral AND letting the clutch fully out magically makes the starter work...
so this was my first DNF in quite while. And considering my driving, maybe that was for the better.:rolleyes:

Luckily, during the short break, Neil provided an equally simple as brilliant solution for my little problem: UN-assign the starter button, and it will magically restart itself when stalled! Thanks a lot, Neil!!:)

For R2 I felt I had to set something straight, both for myself and for the safety of my fellow racers :D, so in Q2 I managed my fastest lap of all, which got me P6.
An OK start, and careful driving got me up to 4th after a few laps, with Eck on my tail for the rest of the race.

Although he was faster in some bits, he drove very carefully, and as I made no mistakes this time, apart from a hairy moment in The Climbing Esses on the final lap, and I felt at some point he'd just let me have it and so I finished 4th!!
But more important, no silly mistakes and no contact.
I did have the sweat dripping off my forehead though, as those were two very intense but awesome races! Can hardly wait for the next one!

Grats to Mate for the full package wins, and to the other podium finishers! Thanks again to Stuart for another masterpiece event, and to all who were there. Hope to CYA next time!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.0%