Bono Huis signs for 2013

We are mixing things here.

For me, it's clear that somebody fast in simracing, has a bigger chance of being fast in real racing than somebody that it's not. But when it comes to be as fast in a real racing car, many other factors come into play and the fast simracer can be not good in some of them, making him slower. That's why I say a fast simracer has the potential, but has to show it later in real racing when he has to face the whole package.

If you put a real racer in a simulator like the ones we use, they struggle at the beginning (they suck mostly) for the absence of references and G-forces, the different type of vision (real 3D vs 2D monitor), but after a period of adaptation they start being really fast because they have to deal with less factors than in real life and is just pure driving technique, that they have.

All the F1 teams, FR 3.5, F3 ... they all use simulators (way better than ours), and they all know the differences and the limits. If it was like you said, Ferrari would have immediately sign the TOP5 of FSR, or even better, the finalists of the Ferrari Virtual Academy that beat Alonso's times in the simulator, because they would have the substitute for him there for almost no money, but it's not like that, it's not that direct, it's not that Ferrari is stupid and doesn't pay attention to simracing (they organized the competition), is that they know they can see potential and qualities with it but then they want to try them in a real car and see the rest, and in that case, nobody (even spanish National Karting Champion) managed to impress them enough to sign.

Also, like David said, most of GT Academy winners had previous racing experience, which was a clear advantage when they had to jump from virtual to real cars in few days. You can see there how some aliens in the virtual become slower and more average in real cars, while others keep their speed, and some even are faster in comparison in the real car than in the simulator.

Anyway in GT Academy they don't pick the fastest guy in the sim, nor the fastest guy in the real racing car, they look for a guy with a lot of potential to develop, that's what they want, somebody they can teach and train to be a real elite racing driver.

To look for that potential, simracing is a good tool, but it's not a guarantee.

So, about the precise subject, I think somebody should give Bono an opportunity because he showed amazing driving skills and an incredible potential to be a great racing driver, I really think he can make it if he's at a decent level in other aspects of the real racing.

The guy who came 2 in gta 2008 is Chris Midmark.
He have been driving in touring cars in sweden and he have won both championships He have entered. (2011 Ginnetta g40 i think/2012 bmw m3 ).
The more he drives the more sponsors he gets and i think it is only a mather of time until he drives something outside of sweden.

Compare apples with pears (just a stupid german saying)

they+_5e0b5a253d7a334da4087a8f54ab1488.jpg

The final stages of GT Academy aren't exactly hotlapping :)

With 2.5 million contestants online you have to find a proper model to determine who is fast and who is not and hotlapping is unfortunately the only option with such massive amounts of players in the first stages until a developer really picks this up and supports proper racing as a decision maker.

as mr.o'reilly has be on ignore, he won't mind me saying this...
This is in no way intended as a personal insult as some people may be more tearful than others... just my opinion:thumbsup: saying as we're all giving them.

i think the good thing is that we're all trying to be rational. however, sometimes it is easy to get carried away in make believe. dreams are fine and sometimes people dream the dream and live the dream but usually, the best dreams don't come true.

Mr O'reilly has written a very popular advanced drivers guide using books such as the alain prost guide for quotations and is a keen sim racer like myself. we all love to beat drivers like vettel in these games and even bono huis using the offline fsr mod. the more we do it, the more we get the bug and then start to convince ourselves we could do it for real. david has had some success as a number 2 driver in xbox arcade game f1 2011 and in reality has had podiums in lower tier racing (not sure where in the world?). so perhaps this suggests the gaming helped. in fact, it has inspired me because last year i joined the same online gaming league and finished ahead of him. the following year i began the season and finished ahead of him again. the facts don't lie that i had more pace and without wheel disconnects and debatable penalties, i would have finished further ahead. so i'm starting to wonder if i could perhaps get wins in lower tier racing in real life? thanks to david for inspiring me in that way;)

however, i don't believe for one minute i could step into an f1 car and in 6 weeks get into q1, never mind q2! senna and schumacher started karting at a very early age. even bruno senna was about 10 and took years and years to perfect that art of driving. it is insulting (in my opinion) to suggest that you could step on a sim game and be successful in f1 in 6 weeks - just because you did well online.

what i do know is that bono has raced/races karts in real life. so perhaps only he knows if that has helped him more with sim racing or the other way around. either way, the likelihood of bono, myself or mr. o'reilly being formula one drivers and getting into q2 in 6 weeks are almost none existent. i stand by my opinions too and agree with most others here - notable xose.

:) again, well done to bono tho. wish they did more interviews with these guys as it's great reading.

Anyway we should start considering SimRacing as a hobby/sport itself, and stop comparing all the time with real racing.

For sure what Bono did requires great skills and it's and achievement itself, he dominated for years in one of the most difficult and challenging simracing leagues out there.

When somebody wins the world cup of indoor football, they are not comparing how good they are or how difficult it is compared to winning the FIFA World Cup, they are just happy because they know they are the best of the world in the sport they practice.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back