BMW Throw Away 1-2 at Marrakesh ePrix

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Formula E.jpg

Jermome D’Ambrosio took victory in the Marrakesh ePrix this weekend following a race of attrition that saw the dominant BMW team throw away a certain 1-2 in the closing stages.

With the field of Formula E drivers taking to the unforgiving Marrakesh street circuit for the second round of the 2019 ABB Formula E championship, it would be former Formula One driver Jermome D’Ambrosio who would come out of the carnage on top of the podium, the Mahindra Formula E driver taking his first win of the season following contact between the race leading BMW drivers of Antonio Felix da Costa and Alexander Simms.

With BMW out front and seemingly set for an easy 1-2 finish, Simms would launch an attack on da Costa during the final six laps of the race, the British driver finding his Portuguese team mate in uncompromising mood as he launched his car to the outside of turn 7, making contact between the two drivers as da Costa locked up and eventually dropping the Englishman down to fourth position, a much more successful race ending than befell his teammate, who would take no further part in the action after abandoning his car in the trackside barriers following the contact.

Da Costa would eventually lay the blame for the accident firmly at his own door, going on to apologise to the team for a lost victory this weekend, following a race winning opening weekend for team and driver last time out in Saudi Arabia:

I’m sorry – that’s a mistake and a mistake coming from me only,” "we lost a one-two, and even if it was just me, Alex could have won the race. “But because of that, I denied him the win, denied the team a one-two. I’m feeling very bad for myself.”
With BMW taken out of the running at the head of the pack, it would be down to D’Ambrosio to pick up the pieces and secure a well earned race victory, the Mahindra driver taking the chequered flag ahead of Audi pair Robin Frijns and polesitter Sam Bird. Simms would eventually salvage fourth place overall, just ahead of 2018 champion Jean-Eric Vergne and Andre Lotterer in sixth.

Marrakesh ePrix Results:
  1. Jerome d’Ambrosio - Mahindra
  2. Robin Frijns - Virgin Audi
  3. Sam Bird - Virgin Audi
  4. Alexander Sims - BMW
  5. Jean-Eric Vergne - DS Techeetah
  6. Andre Lotterer - DS Techeetah
  7. Lucas di Grassi - Audi
  8. Sebastien Buemi - e.dams Nissan
  9. Mitch Evans - Jaguar
  10. Daniel Abt - Audi
  11. Jose Maria Lopez - Dragon Penske
  12. Maximilian Gunther - Dragon Penske
  13. Edoardo Mortara -Venturi
  14. Nelson Piquet Jr. - Jaguar
  15. Oliver Rowland - e.dams Nissan
  16. Oliver Turvey - NIO
  17. Tom Dillmann - NIO
  18. Felipe Massa - Venturi

DNF - Antonio Felix da Costa BMW BMW 25 Retirement
DNF - Gary Paffett HWA Venturi 3 Retirement
DNF - Pascal Wehrlein Mahindra Mahindra 1 Retirement
DNF - Stoffel Vandoorne HWA Venturi 1 Retirement

For more from the world of Formula E and motorsports, check out the Motorsports Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment and catch the latest news, join in with the community discussion, and enjoy the world of motor racing together!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
People need to stop slating Formula E for "reasons" and actually bother to watch the races. If that race had been an F1 race, we'd be lauding it for years as one of the best ever. Cars running close, overtakes all through the field, controversial moments and some great tactical and defensive driving for a really close finish. Formula E is here to stay, and as it's producing some of the best single-seater races around, embrace it.

People need to stop slating Formula E for "reasons" and actually bother to watch the races. If that race had been an F1 race, we'd be lauding it for years as one of the best ever. Cars running close, overtakes all through the field, controversial moments and some great tactical and defensive driving for a really close finish. Formula E is here to stay, and as it's producing some of the best single-seater races around, embrace it.

Ya are absolutely right, mate, it was rly epic race from any point of view. Vergne stupid move at the start, his recover through pack, BMW teammates clash etc. - it were exactly what we like :thumbsup:

Plenty of little league games are closer than the pros, but that doesn't mean I'd rather watch them.

ive tried watching it and its not the cars or drivers its the cramped tight twisty street circuits they basically have to run as to have enough hard braking zones to recharge battery. Its not just formula E its other series as well

Honestly I can't watch Formula E races. That vacuum cleaner sound it's absolutely not for me, sadly.
Without vrooom... vrooom engine sound it's not motorsport anymore, at least for me. :(

No.

I don't see them as BMW's anyway. With the battery and all, they're more like cameras. Imagine saving all your life for an electric Lamborghini that just sits there silent? Hey guys, check out my new Huracan. (Silence) Wow. And you paid $300,00 for that? Uh, ok.

As much I dislike electric cars due to lithium ions poor energy density and the political will driving it forward than engineering, I still think FE will be around for a long time due to the political environment we are in today. The competition of FE seemed like it is pretty intense but I really dislike the narrow and boring track layouts. FE is still motorsports to me as it is pushing the automotive technology forward despite I dislike this technology. I rather see efforts put into hydrogen, efficient engines or some form of hybrid ICE.

The cars always sound awful but eventually, we have to accept it since ICE may be on the way out. They could be our daily drive some day in the future which I personally don’t mind a near silent car with ample of space in it, cheaper to service and blistering acceleration. As long as it’s not a Tesla.

Still, I would love to drive one of these thing in a game. Forza version is horrible though and I can’t get rfactor 2 to run smoothly.

Whoa! those new eRacers look pretty dope! They appear to be a lot faster than I thought they'd be. I'd be way to scared to race one though.

I certainly would not want to be the teammate of the other M-Driver. I imagine some choice words were used in the paddock.

I actually enjoy the idea of electric cars and giving the middle finger to OPEC. If I could afford a Tesla, I'd get one. I really wanted Michael Czysz to succeed in his eBike endeavor but sadly he was taken from us too soon.

The problem we face is battery technology and this is the type of race series that will overcome that barrier. Most of the tech we have in our cars today comes from racing or other extreme vehicle activities.

that looked fun, the cars have kind of grown up this year, the fighting is tense and races are close but the tracks are still horrid. bring on Nürburg GP or Brands Hatch or Anderstorp, would love to see them battle at those tracks.

Pretty easy to have close racing when you're recruiting ex-F1 drivers to race electric Formula Fords.

Did u watch the 2018 F1 season? I guess no. Plenty of great races..

View attachment 285991
Jermome D’Ambrosio took victory in the Marrakesh ePrix this weekend following a race of attrition that saw the dominant BMW team throw away a certain 1-2 in the closing stages.

With the field of Formula E drivers taking to the unforgiving Marrakesh street circuit for the second round of the 2019 ABB Formula E championship, it would be former Formula One driver Jermome D’Ambrosio who would come out of the carnage on top of the podium, the Mahindra Formula E driver taking his first win of the season following contact between the race leading BMW drivers of Antonio Felix da Costa and Alexander Simms.

With BMW out front and seemingly set for an easy 1-2 finish, Simms would launch an attack on da Costa during the final six laps of the race, the British driver finding his Portuguese team mate in uncompromising mood as he launched his car to the outside of turn 7, making contact between the two drivers as da Costa locked up and eventually dropping the Englishman down to fourth position, a much more successful race ending than befell his teammate, who would take no further part in the action after abandoning his car in the trackside barriers following the contact.

Da Costa would eventually lay the blame for the accident firmly at his own door, going on to apologise to the team for a lost victory this weekend, following a race winning opening weekend for team and driver last time out in Saudi Arabia:

I’m sorry – that’s a mistake and a mistake coming from me only,” "we lost a one-two, and even if it was just me, Alex could have won the race. “But because of that, I denied him the win, denied the team a one-two. I’m feeling very bad for myself.”
With BMW taken out of the running at the head of the pack, it would be down to D’Ambrosio to pick up the pieces and secure a well earned race victory, the Mahindra driver taking the chequered flag ahead of Audi pair Robin Frijns and polesitter Sam Bird. Simms would eventually salvage fourth place overall, just ahead of 2018 champion Jean-Eric Vergne and Andre Lotterer in sixth.

Marrakesh ePrix Results:
  1. Jerome d’Ambrosio - Mahindra
  2. Robin Frijns - Virgin Audi
  3. Sam Bird - Virgin Audi
  4. Alexander Sims - BMW
  5. Jean-Eric Vergne - DS Techeetah
  6. Andre Lotterer - DS Techeetah
  7. Lucas di Grassi - Audi
  8. Sebastien Buemi - e.dams Nissan
  9. Mitch Evans - Jaguar
  10. Daniel Abt - Audi
  11. Jose Maria Lopez - Dragon Penske
  12. Maximilian Gunther - Dragon Penske
  13. Edoardo Mortara -Venturi
  14. Nelson Piquet Jr. - Jaguar
  15. Oliver Rowland - e.dams Nissan
  16. Oliver Turvey - NIO
  17. Tom Dillmann - NIO
  18. Felipe Massa - Venturi

DNF - Antonio Felix da Costa BMW BMW 25 Retirement
DNF - Gary Paffett HWA Venturi 3 Retirement
DNF - Pascal Wehrlein Mahindra Mahindra 1 Retirement
DNF - Stoffel Vandoorne HWA Venturi 1 Retirement

For more from the world of Formula E and motorsports, check out the Motorsports Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment and catch the latest news, join in with the community discussion, and enjoy the world of motor racing together!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Why, oh why did you put such a spoiler on the front page?
I just wanted to see it this evening, thank you for spoiling it!
:mad:

Why, oh why did you put such a spoiler on the front page?
I just wanted to see it this evening, thank you for spoiling it!
:mad:
Yep, RD is spoiler central during the season, so I avoid the site when I'm watching a race later. If I want F1 or Formula e news, I go on a F1 or Fe website.

I checked out the specs of the new gen of cars and I must say I was impressed, I hate the sort of street circuits they use in the championship though, I may get interested in watching once they can get to proper tracks.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 461 39.3%