BMW rolls out the M6 GT3

BMW M6 GT3 01.jpg

BMW brought out their latest endurance GT monster, the M6 GT3, for its first run on the BMW test track in Dingolfing last Saturday. The M6 GT3 aims to replace the current Z4 GT3 for multiple GT and endurance series, beginning in 2016.

“This is a big moment for everyone who has worked so intensely and passionately on the development of the BMW M6 GT3 in recent months,” said BMW Motorsport Director, Jens Marquardt. “This car incorporates all the experience we have gained in recent years on the endurance and GT racing circuits. We are well on schedule with the development, and are confident we will be able to take to the track in 2016 with a package that is competitive from the outset. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but I would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to everyone who has been involved with this fantastic project.”

The M6 GT3 is powered by a 4.4-litre V8 M TwinPower Turbo production engine, modified for its use in racing, which generates over 500 hp with a total car weight of less than 1,300 kilograms. This certainly sounds like a good combination, and the looks are even more fierce than the numbers.

BMW M6 GT3 02.jpg

BMW's lucky test driver, Jörg Müller, spoke highly of the initial test's results saying, “It is a fantastic moment when you walk into the garage and see this stunningly beautiful car. I am very proud to have taken it out for its first few kilometres. A roll-out is obviously just an initial performance test but, on the whole, everything was very good and we had no problems. The engine really impressed me. It is powerful and has good torque, which is important for a car like this. I am confident that BMW Motorsport will provide its customers with a fantastic racing car, in the BMW M6 GT3.”

The Z4 GT3 has already been a proven and worthy competitor in endurance racing, the M6 GT3 has some big shoes to fill, especially with the flow of new GT3's coming in the next year - such as Lamborghini's Huracán GT3.

Looks mean, obviously they want to win. The Z4 will always be more sexy and special though. This just looks like another fast touring car. Lots of down-force. Not much left of the original shape.

When I read the announcement last year that BMW was exchanging the successful Z4 for the M6 I had my doubts as the car seemed so big for racing.

The photo's proof me wrong. Looks fabulous, even with the camo-livery. :inlove:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 204 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 109 7.5%
  • < 5 years