BMW reveals long-anticipated M6 GT3 racer

bmw m6 gt3 1.jpg

First announced in October of 2014, BMW Motorsport have now finally revealed their new GT3 specification race car, the M6 GT3, in full BMW racing livery at the IAA Cars show in Frankfurt.

Powered by a twin-turbocharged, 4.4 litre V8 engine producing over 500 horsepower, the M6 GT3 replaces the popular and successful Z4 GT3 across many series beginning in 2016 - series such as the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, the Blancpain GT Series, and marquee endurance races such as the 24h Nurburgring and Bathurst 12 Hour race.

From the official press release:

Munich (DE), 15th September 2015. BMW has set a course for the future in GT racing with the presentation of the newly developed BMW M6 GT3 at the 66th IAA Cars 2015 in Frankfurt am Main (DE). The racing version of the BMW M6 Coupe will be sent into action by numerous private teams from the 2016 season in a host of championships and renowned race events around the world as part of the BMW Sports Trophy.

bmw m6 gt3 2.jpg

BMW Motorsport has channelled its vast well of experience amassed since 2010 with the BMW M6 GT3’s successful predecessor, the BMW Z4 GT3, into the development of the new car. Indeed, the new GT3 racer boasts a raft of improvements, particularly in the areas of drivability and economy. One example is the use of a series-produced engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology, which develops higher output and an increase in torque. Moreover, with its centrally-positioned driver’s seat and long wheelbase, the BMW M6 GT3 offers a driving feeling unparalleled on the racing scene. The net price of the car is 379,000 Euros.

The BMW M6 GT3 weighs less than 1,300 kilograms, and the transaxle drive concept, sequential six-speed racing gearbox and body aerodynamics optimised in the BMW wind tunnel also highlight the imminent arrival of a full-blooded racer from BMW Motorsport in 2016. The reliability, efficiency and ease of maintenance of the BMW M6 GT3 will likewise be tuned to master the demands of endurance racing, and its longer wheelbase promises to deliver significantly improved handling characteristics compared with the BMW Z4 GT3. As well as the car itself, BMW M6 GT3 customers will also benefit from the service laid on by BMW Motorsport support engineers and a trackside supply of parts.

BMW M6 GT3 interior.jpg

The BMW M6 GT3 has undergone an extensive programme of testing on a variety of circuits over the course of 2015. This has allowed the experienced BMW works drivers to amass many valuable kilometres at the wheel of the BMW M6 GT3 and to carry out important work on the baseline set-up of the new GT and endurance racing challenger. This new poster car for customer racing is now undergoing a final round of fine-tuning prior to its race debut in the coming year.

The M6 GT3 will join a long list of new-generation GT3 cars that have been revealed since the start of 2015. The new Audi R8 LMS, Lamborghini Huracan GT3, McLaren 650S GT3, and Lexus RC-F GT3 have made their debuts this season in championships across the world; they will be joined by the all-new Callaway Corvette C7 GT3 later this year, and the Mercedes AMG GT3 and Porsche 911 GT3 R (991) beginning in 2016.

I was secretly hoping this would come with a NA engine, but if it did it would be behind on power namely torque to the other monsters out there (Bentley, GTR etc). Surprising that BMW never raced the V10 in the E60 M5, I bet that would have made a great racing unit.

Very happy with the looks of this, seems compact and hard hitting. Let's hope its got all of the Turbo and none of the LAG.

I think it looks great, but looking at the shape, it seems that it's a bit, "Bentley" in proportions?
It's just weird to go from a tiny Z4 to a large M6, but hey, the Bentley is awesome and who doesn't love a BMW racer with those colours? :D

It does look very Bentley-like indeed. Looks good though. Should punch a nice big hole in the air for the far-superior-in-every-way-650S-GT3 to slipstream in :p

It appears BMW has borrowed heavily from their DTM experience and are trying to provide a similar experience in GT3. Interior of the car is obviously DTM-inspired, but a lot on the outside of the car is similar, and other things like driver position, longer drive track, engine placement, steering "wheel," and there is probably a LOT more internally. It would also seem that BMW is choosing the "Bentley way" of racing: heavier car with a longer track and more power instead of a more aerodynamic body solution. Smash through the field...reliably :D Bentley has been very successful for a new team, and I'm sure BMW wants to cash in the same way.

My E92 is more powerfull ;)
4 liter, V8, 702 bhp, just over 1550 kilos, 550 torque. Carbon fiber body (I spend more money upgrading it than its original price)

But
about this M6 its looks sick, what about the performance! does it deliver or not...!!!

Such a big car with a tiny steering wheel.:D
I do love the Z4 GT3 which is brilliant just a curb weight 1190kg and very good aerodynamics unfortunately BOP was rarely in it's favour (extra weight).

I think it is a bit of a shame that GT3 rewards bad car concepts like the Bentley, GT-R and usually gives the likes of McLaren, Ferrari and BMW (Z4) a hard time.

So I can understand the route BMW is taking and it should be a good one. I hope to see some of them in the BES sprint series, which is an Audi festival at the moment.

I like it!
Looks a little DTM minus the wings, but should do well, judging by BMW's high standards.
All it needs now is a unique livery to go with the new look. This livery doesn't do it for me.

Interesting. So the NISMO GTR is allowed more boost/HP because it is heavier than the other GT3s (although this BOP changed at Spa's 24 hrs race). The Bentley's homoligated version is 6000lbs (2800 lbs for the GT3). And now the M6 which is 4200 lbs for the homologated version (GT3 version under 2800 lbs) is also a porker. I see the pattern. Maybe these guys found a loophole to go after the nimble Ferraris, McLarens, Lambos, and Porsches.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 354 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%