RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Id like to join. But unless someone has some tips for making the car a little more stable I don't know if I could. I understand its an older ca, but it just wants to swing around on me all the time.

Id like to join. But unless someone has some tips for making the car a little more stable I don't know if I could. I understand its an older ca, but it just wants to swing around on me all the time.
Really can't offer much on setups, but what I can tell you what worked for me was coming to grips as to what these are and are not good at. Their only positive attribute may be power, I don't mean to say the cars are not correct, but just need to be driven with that in mind. Don't expect state of the art suspension, brakes or down force. Brake early, accelerate when the car is closer to a straight line and shift as little as possible to reduce upsetting the balance. All may sound ridiculous and some will have better advice like @Steve Le Gallez :notworthy: @FeltHat :notworthy: and @Calvyn White :notworthy: but for me keeping these era cars (Gr 4 and Gr 5) on the track pointed in the right direction is a major accomplishment only achieved with cheeks firmly clinched.

Practice, practice, practice :whistling: I remember having problems with the car after physics update but after some laps i got used to it. Keep it smooth, dont overdrive, no sudden turns or hard braking :roflmao: Gotta say, it rly pushed my patience. Just join the server during practice, we gonna learn it together!

Just to add to @FeltHat and @David DeGreef comments. Throttle control in these cars is now is extremely important. As funny as it may seem the throttle has much more to do with the steering of the car then you may think. And of course, feathering the throttle will help you to do this. It will help you control the over the top exit oversteer. Which is now become a common factor with raceroom cars. :(
Turning preload off will certainly help with exit wheelspin but will not, by a long way eliminate the oversteer. It has been said practice practice practice will be the best thing you can do the gain a margin of predictability in the car's behaviour and this is true.
30 minutes before the race is simply inadequate and in my opinion, you're a hazard to yourself and others if you rely on this amount of time to be proficient in any car or any track. Considering you have 6 days and nights to do some practice which is more than enough time to do a minimum of 2 hours.
I recommend a stiffer front with a softer rear. In this car as I recall you should be looking towards a four-wheel drift so the car is sliding but it is in unison. Hard braking and soon as you hit that hard immediately start backing off. Plenty of braking before you start changing down the gears. Like I said throttle is extremely important to be gentle feather it on nearly every corner.
The more you practice, the better the control of the car and the better predictability and confidence. And as you do you can add preload if you're confident enough and is beneficial and not a hindrance.

F1 type wheel. My preference.
Steering Angle 450
Steering lock 14 deg.

And it's my birthday today. Where I get to say once a year, not tonight honey bunny I've got a headache. :laugh:

Last edited:
Practice, practice, practice for 29min. I meant before an event 29 or less minutes practice, since obviously its hard to get less overall unless you just started simracing, with assumption that everything you done to this point counts as practice and adds to your experience.

Happy Birthday @Calvyn White and I took your advice from a couple of weeks ago regarding the Fanatec Formula Rim and decreasing the steering angle and wheel lock as I gained better control, added ability to correct the inevitable errors and gained confidence and enjoyment.
With the occasional tweak to softer rear and less wing this has proven to be a go to adjustment. Thanks.

Great advice from @David DeGreef @FeltHat and @Calvyn White on how to drive these things.

I'm a slow learner, so it's
practice practice practice
practice practice practice
practice practice practice for me.

I've made more changes to the setup of this car than I have with any other car.

From the default, I thought I'd give your setup a go. And I must say, without reservation, fantastic work. Love what you did with the gearbox and the ride height. And of course, as you very well know as we all do, alterations need to be made to bring it more in line with our styles. As you should treat anybody else's set up as a baseline and an excellent baseline it is. Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

But I do believe it's your turn.;):laugh:

Attachments

• ko_modified_cw_bmw_m1_procar.svm
    7.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Great job @ko41 . Appreciate the setup and as @Calvyn White said it is a great base to do a few adjustments from. So far I have just lowered the wing a bit and that makes it easier for me to turn in but will give it more of a go tomorrow. I'll give yours a go also Calvyn and report back. Still coming to grips with the car. I think this is one they really forgot to work on with the new physics. I loved this car before (not much fun now) and I had a number of setups that really worked for me but they are totally useless now. They really need to give this car some love and certainly work on that default setup which is ridiculous! I can't imagine this car drove that poorly for real! I think the steering is way off also. Not sure how that relates to real life but using a 720 and 20 made it pretty bad for steering. I changed it to 540 steering angle with a 16 lock which seems to work much better. Oh well, as you said practice.......

I've hit a plateau, @Calvyn White your version of my setup worked equally well for me. :thumbsup:
edit: I tried some more laps using kind of a midpoint of the changes you made to my setup....It feels comfortable.:)

I don't now how either works in a race yet, I've just been messing around on the LB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 109 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 205 15.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline