EU BMW M1 Procar @ Zandvoort - Sat 28 Mar 2020

Ross Garland

Spiritseer
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
BMW M1 Procar.jpg

Welcome to the R3E racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help the don't hesitate to ask on TeamSpeak... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge! Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here
Server and Teamspeak Password: Click here
Teamspeak Installation Guide: Click here
Incident Reporting: Click here

We highly recommend that you join us on
TeamSpeak, and that you use an app called Crew Chief.

Server Name: RaceDepartment.com EU - Saturday
Cars: BMW M1 Procar
Track: Zandvoort - GP

Saturday 28/03/20
Practice:
15:00 EDT / 20:00 UTC (30 minutes)
Qualifying: 15:30 EDT / 20:30 UTC (15 minutes)

Warmup 1: 15:45 EDT / 20:45 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 1: 15:50 EDT / 20:50 UTC (20 minutes)

Warmup 2: 16:10 EDT / 21:10 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 2: 16:15 EDT / 21:15 UTC (20 minutes) - Reverse Grid to 5 Places

Entry List - 30 slots
  1. Ross Garland (Event Host)
  2. FeltHat
  3. Iguana46
  4. ko41
  5. 2112
  6. David DeGreef
  7. JACE323
  8. Keith_G
  9. thom462
  10. rustyjabs67
  11. Sasha Jednak
  12. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
  13. Free slot
  14. Free slot
  15. Free slot
  16. Free slot
  17. Free slot
  18. Free slot
  19. Free slot
  20. Free slot

UTP#36

Last edited:
Reactions: Calvyn White

JACE323

25RPM
Premium
Jan 22, 2018
Id like to join. But unless someone has some tips for making the car a little more stable I don't know if I could. I understand its an older ca, but it just wants to swing around on me all the time.

David DeGreef

R3E Racing Club Host US
Staff
Premium
Dec 12, 2016
Id like to join. But unless someone has some tips for making the car a little more stable I don't know if I could. I understand its an older ca, but it just wants to swing around on me all the time.
Really can't offer much on setups, but what I can tell you what worked for me was coming to grips as to what these are and are not good at. Their only positive attribute may be power, I don't mean to say the cars are not correct, but just need to be driven with that in mind. Don't expect state of the art suspension, brakes or down force. Brake early, accelerate when the car is closer to a straight line and shift as little as possible to reduce upsetting the balance. All may sound ridiculous and some will have better advice like @Steve Le Gallez :notworthy: @FeltHat :notworthy: and @Calvyn White :notworthy: but for me keeping these era cars (Gr 4 and Gr 5) on the track pointed in the right direction is a major accomplishment only achieved with cheeks firmly clinched.

Reactions: ko41 and JACE323

FeltHat

3000RPM
Mar 6, 2016
Practice, practice, practice :whistling: I remember having problems with the car after physics update but after some laps i got used to it. Keep it smooth, dont overdrive, no sudden turns or hard braking :roflmao: Gotta say, it rly pushed my patience. Just join the server during practice, we gonna learn it together!

PurgerUK

500RPM
Premium
Apr 28, 2015
Can you add me as a maybe, disaster recovery test on Saturday and may drag on

ko41

100RPM
Premium
Mar 5, 2018
The gold #90 Warsteiner car isn't very smooth riding across the dunes but I'm going to stick with it.

Calvyn White

Calv Killmore
Premium
Jan 21, 2017
Just to add to @FeltHat and @David DeGreef comments. Throttle control in these cars is now is extremely important. As funny as it may seem the throttle has much more to do with the steering of the car then you may think. And of course, feathering the throttle will help you to do this. It will help you control the over the top exit oversteer. Which is now become a common factor with raceroom cars. :(
Turning preload off will certainly help with exit wheelspin but will not, by a long way eliminate the oversteer. It has been said practice practice practice will be the best thing you can do the gain a margin of predictability in the car's behaviour and this is true.
30 minutes before the race is simply inadequate and in my opinion, you're a hazard to yourself and others if you rely on this amount of time to be proficient in any car or any track. Considering you have 6 days and nights to do some practice which is more than enough time to do a minimum of 2 hours.
I recommend a stiffer front with a softer rear. In this car as I recall you should be looking towards a four-wheel drift so the car is sliding but it is in unison. Hard braking and soon as you hit that hard immediately start backing off. Plenty of braking before you start changing down the gears. Like I said throttle is extremely important to be gentle feather it on nearly every corner.
The more you practice, the better the control of the car and the better predictability and confidence. And as you do you can add preload if you're confident enough and is beneficial and not a hindrance.

F1 type wheel. My preference.
Steering Angle 450
Steering lock 14 deg.

And it's my birthday today. Where I get to say once a year, not tonight honey bunny I've got a headache. :laugh:

Last edited:

JACE323

25RPM
Premium
Jan 22, 2018
Wow you guys were right. I practiced for around a hour last night. Was able to take the car I thought was wanting to kill me and tame it a bit. Started making minor tweaks to the set up. I was able to set a consistent time that I was happy with. So I will definitely be in for the race!

Calvyn White

Calv Killmore
Premium
Jan 21, 2017
Holy moly, 30 min is more than enough
You say, practice practice practice and then say 30 minutes is more than enough. Somewhat contradictory. So I suggest going with the better advice, practice practice practice. And I think @FeltHat you should follow your own advice. ;) :whistling:

Reactions: Keith_G

FeltHat

3000RPM
Mar 6, 2016
Practice, practice, practice for 29min. I meant before an event 29 or less minutes practice, since obviously its hard to get less overall unless you just started simracing, with assumption that everything you done to this point counts as practice and adds to your experience.

David DeGreef

R3E Racing Club Host US
Staff
Premium
Dec 12, 2016
Happy Birthday @Calvyn White and I took your advice from a couple of weeks ago regarding the Fanatec Formula Rim and decreasing the steering angle and wheel lock as I gained better control, added ability to correct the inevitable errors and gained confidence and enjoyment.
With the occasional tweak to softer rear and less wing this has proven to be a go to adjustment. Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Calvyn White