RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my 320T setup. I believe this is what I used to run my fastest lap. Mind you, it's for my driving style, but who knows. Try it. Might want to mess with gear ratios to fit your needs. And wing.

Thanks Dan, after testing I can say that it helped string together more consistent lap times, the gearing is 100 times better. Did it make me faster, not on a one lap run maybe a tick, but overall with steady lap times lap after lap then yes.

BMW M1 Procar.jpg

Welcome to the R3E racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help the don't hesitate to ask on TeamSpeak... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge!

Join us
Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here
Server and Teamspeak Password: Click here

Teamspeak Installation Guide: Click here
Incident Reporting: Click here

We highly recommend that you join us on TeamSpeak, and that you use an app called Crew Chief. It gives you an audio spotter that tells you when cars are alongside, greatly increasing your awareness and reducing unnecessary incidents. You can download it here.

Server Name:
RaceDepartment.com EU Wed
Cars: BMW M1 Procar
Track: Nürburgring - Sprint

Wednesday 21/08/19
Practice:
19:00 UTC (30 minutes)
Qualifying: 19:30 UTC (15 minutes)

Warmup 1: 19:45 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 1: 19:50 UTC (20 minutes)

Warmup 2: 20:10 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 2: 20:15 UTC (20 minutes)

Entry List
- 32 slots
  1. [COLOR=#b30000]Ross Garland[/COLOR]
  2. FeltHat
  3. Erik Axelsson
  4. Dennis Manke
  5. PurgerUK
  6. Jean Pierre Vitabar
  7. Piotrek Blaszczak
  8. stevem
  9. TR_S
  10. blu3sm4n
  11. Fl@sh
  12. Free slot
  13. Free slot
  14. Free slot
  15. Free slot

Reserve list
  1. Reserve
  2. Reserve

UTP#28

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a "heads up" @David DeGreef ......We had one of our patented Florida storm cells come through yesterday and lost internet and after several hours on the phone with tech support I finally discovered why. The Comcast cable into my home that provides my internet broke loose from the power pole and is hanging down in my front yard.
Techs are scheduled to be there mid-day on Wednesday to repair it so unless they get a cancellation and can get there sooner, I won't be able to make tomorrow's race. :poop::poop::poop:

Thank you @Mike Wyatt for the heads up, be safe and good luck. Don't need the spot so I'll leave you signed in with the hopes a schedule opens up.

1:31.2? I am not competitive, no fun to race in a race where I can't possibly win. Sign me out David please, thanks.

Don't let times of others discourage you. I have been sim racing since 1999 (offline) and on-line since 2015. I have won a total of two (2) league type races. One in 2015 where I got lucky on my pit strategy and the one I won in our Road America race, again due to pit strategy.

I have been unable to repeat that time and I consider it a unicorn. You should too. There is no way that I would be able to maintain that pace all race. I will be lucky if I maintain a 1:34 average.

As for getting faster? Try running laps at a pace that you feel is slower than normal and just run consistently. Doing that you will find yourself naturally going faster as you get used to where you can power out, brake, toss the car into the corner hard or finesse it. Run a few laps and then make one (1) set-up change. Run more laps and see if it works. Make small changes to the set-up when you do.

Some of the best advice I got was: "Take each track as a series of corners. Start on turn one and learn how to attack it quickly. Once you have that corner down work on the next one. Then the next..." and so on.

The races we have had have not been fun because I compete for wins. I got lucky at RA. They have been fun because I have been able to race with others no matter my position. Whether or not I win another will not matter as long as I can compete closely with others.

oops, hit the post button....
Problem areas: Turns 3 & 5, tend to spin out.
I'm also having trouble determining brake points on turns 9 & 16.
Turn 15: do you brake before or ease off the throttle?
Mitch

Sonoma, as we are racing it, only has 12 turns so I will consider 15 and 16 as 10 and 11. Turn 3 is broken down into Turn 3 and 3A. 3 is the left (compression) turn that then goes uphill to 3A. You should not have an issue with 3 if you let off or trailbrake into the turn. I usually let off, downshift from 4 to 3 and then carry the speed into 3A. I do not usually brake for 3A but coast into a late apex.

5 is another compression turn so you should not be spinning out, but if you are just do not get on the go-fast pedal all the way until your car is headed up the hill.

Turn 4, OTOH, is the off-camber left at the bottom of the hill after 3A and that one can be troublesome as often you are fighting the car exiting 3A. Just brake earlier or do what I do: On approach I brake, coast and then once I start to enter the turn I will, lightly, stab the brakes while slightly turning into the corner. This breaks the rears enough that they rotate the car through the turn. This also takes alot of practice. I only do the stab if I enter the turn tight.

I am going to assume by turn 9 you mean turn 7, the one that is the long uphill on the dragstrip. That turn is troublesome because it is uphill and a bit off-camber. Then because it is tight and your rear-end wants to step out you can have issues losing the rear. Try braking sooner and letting off the brakes before you reach the turn. Coast into the apex and then once you hit it start pressing the go-fast but do not tromp on it. A good, measured, increase of the application of the go-fast should power you out until you are straight, then stomp it.

I am going to assume that your turn 15 is actually turn 10, the kink before the hairpin. I will downshift then lightly stab the brakes while slightly turning in. Coast until you have the front wheels going toward 11. This will get the rear around and give you a good line to accelerate out.

Turn 16 should be turn 11, the hairpin. Brake sooner than you think you should. I try to end up coasting into the turn and once I hit the apex I can start throttling up. You do not want to step on it hard as it will loop you. Once you get all the tires going in the proper direction you can floor it.

The thing to remember about the turbos is the lag. You do not want to stomp on the pedal as the lag will catch you out not matter if you have the wheels straight or not. With the V8's you will get the same thing but the wheels will break free instantly instead of a second or two later.

Words of wisdom by @2112, thank you.

I am also going to ask again to please do not post actual times, exactly for this reason. If drivers feel as though they shouldn't participate for whatever reason we will soon be without anyone to race with. Let's remember why we are doing this and enjoy ourselves and the type of club we want. Participation numbers will fluctuate because of schedules and life, let's not let lap times factor into it.

Words of wisdom by @2112, thank you.

I am also going to ask again to please do not post actual times, exactly for this reason. If drivers feel as though they shouldn't participate for whatever reason we will soon be without anyone to race with. Let's remember why we are doing this and enjoy ourselves and the type of club we want. Participation numbers will fluctuate because of schedules and life, let's not let lap times factor into it.

I apologize for posting the time. I will not do it again. I was just trying to build up a little...rivalry (and gloat at you and Bock), not discourage anyone.

I apologize for posting the time. I will not do it again. I was just trying to build up a little...rivalry (and gloat at you and Bock), not discourage anyone.
Challenge accepted.:sneaky:
Consistency is my strategy as well, may get that magical qualie but not too often.

I’m going to start calling you mister consistant. You put on a clinic every week
You're too kind. I will say after making many a bonehead mistakes I took a look at how I approached racing. Try to be quick, but know your limitations and strengths.

Small mistakes = missed braking points, late/early turn ins, excessive slides, wrong gear, and locked up brakes.
Major mistakes = off track, spinning/loss of control, pit speed violation
Catastrophic mistakes = making contact with other drivers and/or wall

I have all but eliminated the catastrophic mistakes (hope I didn't jinx it). Reduce the majors to less than one per race on average. And minors, well easy enough to recover from in most cases by not turning it into a major or worse, and if no one saw it did it really happen?:rolleyes:

In short, if most drivers were more consistent I would probably be in the back of the field more consistently.:cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 75 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%