BMW GT2 or 918 RSR

Hello,

I am currently rocking a 2.5 wheelbase with a XBOX P1 rim.

I find it very cheap, and more like a toy and therefore I am wanting to upgrade, I mainly run games like RBR, Assetto Corsa and LFS, so a variety, I have a McLaren GT3 rim for the GT3 and Forumla Games.

I was originally wanting the BMW GT2 rim, but heard they are very heavy and basically make the feedback non existent on a 2.5 wheelbase, so now the Porsche rim seems like the better option for me.. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

I find the BMW rim to be excellent. It does dull the ffb a little but the quality and realism of the rim makes up for that in spades. Never used the Porsche rim but I think I would prefer the alcantara to the leather .

Upvote 0
I have the Porsche rim and love it. It feels great in my hands. It's what I use most of the time. I just got the McLaren rim and have only started to use it a bit.

Upvote 0
I've heard that when you spin the wheel a lot (rally games, drifting) that your hands might hit the led bar of the Porsche rim quite frequently.
I've tried the BMW rim on a csw 2.0 and had no problems with it. It's like you turn down the FEI from 100 to 70.
For me that's not an issue but some like it rough...

Upvote 0
I've heard that when you spin the wheel a lot (rally games, drifting) that your hands might hit the led bar of the Porsche rim quite frequently.
I've tried the BMW rim on a csw 2.0 and had no problems with it. It's like you turn down the FEI from 100 to 70.
For me that's not an issue but some like it rough...

That makes perfect sense. I think I experienced that a couple times over the last year or so. Almost all I play are Rally games and I haven't had a problem, but YMMV.

It also might be worth mentioning that I wear gloves when I play, so that may protect me a bit.

I'm using a CS 2.5 with the FFB set about as high as I can get it, if that matters. I don't think I would like losing any FFB at this point.

Of course the real solution is to get a DD wheel base and then it doesn't matter, right ?

Upvote 0
I bought both for testing and sold the BMW rim here on RD.
The 918 is significantly lighter and therefore feels like it provides better detail with less inertia, but that might be placebo.
They are both great rims though.
I always race with gloves but prefer the leather to alcantara. Good grippage.

Upvote 0
I've had both and definitely prefer the Porsche...Leather won't wear down as fast as Alcantara. My Formula rim which I just got 5 months ago, and use the least of my 3 wheels, is already showing wear on the Alcantara (and I used gloves I'd say 95% of the time)...compare that to the Porsche, which I use the most and looks as good as Day 1.

It's lighter so better FFB detail, the LEDs are in a more visible location (I've never had any issues with the LED bar when catching slides and I don't wear gloves with this wheel), I believe the paddles are more adjustable on the Porsche, and even though it's not that important for functionality, it's the sexier one ;)

I did like the bigger display on the BMW and the different colors of each button might better help you remember what does what...but the Porsche wins on everything else.

Upvote 0
I use the BMW rim as my formula rim is broken currently.
I highly recommend it and all I've done is increased the gain in game and the FFB is fine on a CSW v1
On a v2.5 you'll have no problems with feeling the FFB as it's much higher than the v1

Upvote 0
It's lighter so better FFB detail, the LEDs are in a more visible location (I've never had any issues with the LED bar when catching slides and I don't wear gloves with this wheel), I believe the paddles are more adjustable on the Porsche, and even though it's not that important for functionality, it's the sexier one ;)
I didn't even know they were adjustable at all - I'll have to look into that. I remember doing something to the paddles to get them closer to the wheel (despite the fact that I've got hands like shovels) but I think I took them off and remounted them a slightly different way, maybe on the opposite side of the mounting blocks or something.

Upvote 0
The paddles on the Porsche rim are very adjustable. I've currently got mine angled close to the rim at the top and further away at the bottom, but that's one of many options.

I also agree that my 918 rim still looks brand new.

I've also used it both with and without gloves and like it both ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can adjust the paddles on the BMW rim, for sure. You end up hitting the micro switch if you reduce the travel too much, which obviously affects the operation of them but they are definitely adjustable. I have the SRM upgraded shifter kit so I think I lost most of the adjustment when I put them on. They do feel way better but.

Upvote 0
I own leather and suede rims and I have found out that the grip with leather can be as good as with suede. It all depends of the kind of gloves you wear. With suede you have good grip with most of them, even with your bare hands. Leather, however, has very good grip with certain kind of gloves with a kind of synthetic rubber material, such as work or mechanic gloves. With wrong gloves, leather is too slippery.

Upvote 0
My Alpine Stars gloves are having the rubber ribbing on the inside of the hand peel away after a year or more of constant use. So once this happens, I'd say on a leather rim your grip is going to suffer. With a suede finish, at least you're fabric on fabric even when the rubber peels off so there is still adequate grip.

Upvote 0
Speaking of gloves. I've got a set of the Sparco Gaming gloves and they are well ventilated and I'm enjoying them. I don't use the flip back finger tips, but otherwise feel they are well designed for sim use.

Do you pick wheels based on how they work with your gloves?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing