BMW frustration

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
I want to dump my frustration here :duh: . Since RACE 07 is released i have only driven the BMW E46 and the E90 (the last weeks), adjusted my setups to my own preferences and thought i did some reasonable times with that car (read: i was in control of it).
After somebody posted some Alfa setup requests i got back in my old car from RACE 06 and did some FWD action the last week.

But why oh why am i still more then 1,5 faster in a FWD car then in a RWD BMW after such a long absence. I was on Zandvoort doing some laps in the beemer, Peter Madsen entered in a Seat and i though: "hey lets fight equal, i get that car too". Without ANY setup changes i broke my pb on this track in 2 laps.

Now i am doubting what to do. Pick a FWD car and have league where the FWD car bores the hell out of me but be competative, or pick a BMW and be significantly slower but at least have the challenge to fight with the car

Does it vary depending on which track you use? Some tracks favour the FWD cars (I suspect Zandvoort is a FWD track) while the BMW may shine on other tracks (eg Brno).
Don't forget the huge advantage the BMW has at starts.

Hmm Bram, it's a difficult one here...

The Beemers are fast at the start, but in twisty circuits they are really fragile... The Seats or any FWD car on the contrary is slower in starts, but is more easy to fight with in turns...

MAYBE you can stillt rain a bit in the RWD BMW and try a good time... Otherwise, go to the FWD cars and beat the **** out of us !

go for the BMW bram :) me and Olly are driving them in the league, even though they aren't as fast as the seats, they are harder and more fun to drive :)

other good thing about the BMW is the fact that it is brilliant on the brakes...

I stick with BMW. Quite sure i can be about 1 second faster with a FWD car on some tracks on a hotlap, but driving the beemer is sheer pleasure :) Especially in a race, where the FWD need to drive the last quarter of a race with eaten tires....

And some tracks the FWD cars will be in advantage, but same applies to the RWD's.

So i wont change my car and start learning the BMW better and better!

Been there Bram:thumb:

I have similar problem beside i didn't even consider a FWD's:D Only drove mini about an 5 laps and then go back to my beemar. However i also try to do my own setups from poin zero. When beeing 3-4 sec slower than others, i choose to load simbin setups in order to understand how it should to be driven. Still being too slow and it was time to set the car more to me. SimBin setups are bit oversteer and as in legends, i like more understeer. I also reduce my steering rate by 20 degrees and only that drops my lap times like 1sec.
I'm still about 1.5 sec slower than aliens and struggle with setups but atleast i can keep my laps steady enough to be a bodium driver...I'hope:D

Bram, just ask the girls what car suits you better :D

I gathered all my (little) race experience in RWD open wheelers driving different F1 games. I won't pick a front wheeler just to get more competative. There are so much drivers participating, I hope that there will be enough other racers to drive the level I have in BMW so there will be lots of good racing and fun.

Though I know that this opinion might be hard to share by drivers that are more ambitious than I am in my rookie season.

Alpha i think is the hardest FWD to drive. If your beating your fast BMW times in that you must be born for it.
I always thought would be good to see you in the E46 because a winner in that would really be amazing driving.
after a long time on alpha im really appreciating the character of the e90, but, bouncy tracks its not easy to handle. betteer to finish than break something

So sorry Bram. Will never enter a server with a seat again :sign0013:

As I see it the BMW have the advantage in the start and also a big advantage in the long races because the tires last much better then on the FWD. Normally I will begin losing a lot of speed around lap 8 in a FWD. The FWD cars are easier to drive at the limit and more forgiving if you go over the limit, also have a big advantage if you get bumped in a corner compared to the BMW. That said, if you can control the BMW near the limit consistently, it’s by far the quickest car I think.

I’m in the same position as you. Like driving the BMW, but it will take a lot more effort for me to drive it quick as the Seat. And seeing as I don’t know how many races I will be able to participate in (being Saturday), I think I will choose the Seat, and take the fun of fighting the other drivers instead of the fun of fighting the car and myself in the BMW. Also as said the Seat gives you a second chance if you get bumped in a corner. And of course my lack of preparation for races also favours the Seat.

Hope you can one day can find it in your heart to forgive me for driving the seat on Zandvoort that day :shades:

Lol, no problem Peter i made up my mind: i go for the fun factor and will drive the RWD! Maybe ill die slowly during the championship but then at least ill die with dignity

RWD-PARTY PEEPS:
:party0023:

I agree that SEAT is very very competitive already with default setup and I haven't seen tyre problems for fwd cars in long league races in a long time, so they may be hard to beat with Beemer with a noob driver like me. :D

When Race07 came out I almost changed Beemers to FWD, because they were way too understeery and unforgivable to drive, but somehow I learned to setup it to suit for me again. Now I love to drive E90 and I feel I should be punished because I was even thinking to use FWD cars in some point....:chair:

Hopefully you will find your speed again in Beemer Bram.:gold:

But why oh why am i still more then 1,5 faster in a FWD car then in a RWD BMW after such a long absence. I was on Zandvoort doing some laps in the beemer, Peter Madsen entered in a Seat and i though: "hey lets fight equal, i get that car too". Without ANY setup changes i broke my pb on this track in 2 laps.

Maybe your not doing it right.:sign0177:
Just joking Bram, and you will still be faster than me in a FWD, so you have that going for you.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 487 39.1%