BMW about to leave F1?

Stumbled upon this article:

BMW's future in Formula 1 is in serious doubt amid mounting speculation that the German car manufacturer will announce its withdrawal from the sport at the end of this season, on Wednesday.
An emergency press conference has been called at BMW's headquarters in Munich, where it is suggested that the car company may reveal that it has decided to end its involvement in F1.
The invite to the press conference said it had been called because of 'current developments in motor sport.'

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77398

Looks like Bernie can start looking for one more new team :nod:

I'll be surprised if they leave WTCC because WTCC is now pretty even between all the cars and has so far produced some very good racing. Also is Sauber still at all involved in this or did he completely sell out to BMW?

I doubt they'd leave. They would probably work on the '10 car soon. Seriously, the car is not good. I can see them leaving WTCC, but not F1.

I think the media just need to shutup. All the rumors they're coughing up recently...

I think the media just need to shutup. All the rumors they're coughing up recently...

When a major player in the F1 announces an emergency press conference with the Director of the Board, Director of development and the Director of motorsport in a time they are just about to sign a new multi year agreement you can hardly say the media are coughing up rumours. It's normal when you announce a press conference this way people are going to think the worst :nod: and they obviously are going to announce something important. I'm not saying it'll be that they are leaving F1 but I do understand why people would think it was.

• Andrew Evans

jarp... uncle bernie quoted on bbc sport:

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said the team had given themselves three years to win the world championship.

"It's not quite been like that so perhaps that's why they've [decided] to stop," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

BMW drivers Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica have amassed only eight points between them this season to leave their team last in the constructors' championship.

"When you consider how much money they've spent and the results they've got, it's probably not such a good investment," added Ecclestone.

"They were quite sure that they were going to win the championship within three years, and I was hoping they would."

Hmm... Be interesting to see where Kubica and Heidfeld Go now...

Ferrari Line Up 2010 (3 possibilities)

Kubica-Massa
Alonso-Kubica
Kubica-Schumacher

None of them contain the word Rakkionen and I'd be damn happy to see any of these instead

• Andrew Evans

kubica was only talking a coupla days ago about going rallying... mebbe he'll swap earlier than he expected....

BMW will quit F1 at the end of 2009

BMW has announced it is to quit Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season, as AUTOSPORT predicted last night.
The news was confirmed at a press conference in Munich this morning, and comes on the back of a disappointing campaign for the outfit.
Dr. Norbert Reithofer, chairman of the BMW board, said: "Of course this was a difficult decsion for us. But it's a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realingment."
BMW will continue its other motorsport activities outside of F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77400

They could of won the title last year if they had carried on upgrading the car

Then they will probably change their entire focus to (A)LMS now. Good thing imho since i find proto's/GT's/Touringcars much more exciting then formula cars.

BMW clearly missed the boat this year with the new developments in F1

I'm deeply saddened to hear this news. BMW was one of my favourite teams, and it's a pity they didn't get the results they wanted throughout their tenure in F1. I certainly hope that Heidfeld and Kubica can get another drive before next season starts.

RIP BMW Sauber. :sad:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing