Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc76.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: BMW 320 Gr5 mod
Track: Le Mans Sarthe 79 plus the required v1.1 fix
Start Time: 19.00 GMT
Prac & Quali: 60 min (unlimited laps) - we will forego prac & roll to a 60 min quali session @ 19.00GMT
Race: 26 laps

Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins that come with the mod only
Note3: As this is a long race, at least one, probably multiple, pit stops will be required, so please check out Warren’s pitstop tutorial here: http://www.racedepartment.com/gt-legends/3302-gtl-pitstop-hints-tips.html

Entry List
  • Stuart Thomson
  • Steven Palmer
  • Nigel Atkins
  • Ross McGregor
  • Bob Hutchins
  • Tom Wilson
  • Carlos Diaz
  • Neil Gault
  • Tudor Morris
  • Nils Norberg
  • Bob Miley
  • Ondrej Kapal
  • Andreas Loffler
  • Senad Subasic
  • Driver
  • Driver
  • Driver
  • Driver

I'm not 100% sure.

As it's a single make race, there will be no need to even stuff out, so whatever we do will affect everyone equally. Everyone will have to stop at least once anyway, so it's a case of
i) do you want to do multiple pitstops and increase the strategy, or
ii) keep it as simple as these events can be.

I would leave it in the hands of the drivers to tell us what they want to do, I'm easy either way - I'll stick a vote up for the options.

All - I've added a poll regarding Tyre Wear & Fuel Usage multipliers.

If it's a tie, we will go with my preference, which is 2x tyre wear and 2x fuel usage, so it's nice and busy in the pits, and increases the strategic elements of fuel & tyre conservation.

Please vote.

You got the fastest race lap in a Porshce 906 at the last season finale with a 4:13.810.

Assuming that these are around 10 seconds or so faster, that comes in at about 105 minutes, whereas the same pace as the 906 is about 110 mins, 10 sec slower gives 115 mins.

So it will be a long one.

Those numbers are without pitstops, which would add about a minute per stop, give or take.

I voted for 2X everything, should make it more realistic. Can't wait for this.

I know in GTR2 that 2x tyre wear screws with the tyre temps a bit in that tracks and cars where it was normally possible to run with soft tyres but as soon as 2x is used then they start to overheat and make them unusable, and the high speed tacks do indeed make the rubber rather warm sometimes.

I'm having a test along these lines - once I've done it a few times and got some consistent results, I'll come back. Thanks for bringing it up Neil - I'd rather find this sort of stuff out now than during the race :good:

I know in GTR2 that 2x tyre wear screws with the tyre temps a bit in that tracks and cars where it was normally possible to run with soft tyres but as soon as 2x is used then they start to overheat and make them unusable, and the high speed tacks do indeed make the rubber rather warm sometimes.

OK some testing results - I've set up a few RD servers over the past week when I've had a free moment, all with 2x fuel and tyres.

What I've found is the following -
  • the tyre temps all look the same as when it's set to 1x or normal, the tyres never get out of a healthy mid-green, never verging on yellow, for me while doing 5 & 6 lap stints, not driving conservatively, either.
  • According to the in-game garage, the most you could do on a full tank is 6 laps.
  • However - setting the car up with 1 laps worth of fuel (by the garage), and driving flat out - full throttle, no short shifting, dropping down gears aggressively and taking the lowest possible gear through corners - actually got me about a minute into the next lap ie 1.25 / 1.3 laps (onto the long straight), which means 3 garage laps is closer to 4 actual laps. XD confirms that the garage reading is a little on the thirsty side.
  • That means a full tank is about 8-ish laps worth, and as I've done nearly a full tank length with no tyre issues, I think we'll be fine on that front as well.
  • Working on the premise of 8+ laps per full tank at no compromise speeds, if careful driving can get you out to a firm 9 laps a tankful, it might mean you could squeeze a 2 stopper out of this.
  • Obviously you will need to do your own testing to confirm or disprove my findings for yourselves, as no-one dirves quite the same.
  • The car doesn't have a fuel warning light (at least not one I noticed) - you need to use XD or the "Benzindr" gauge in the bottom right of the cockpit. The gauge drops off very quickly once it starts to move.
  • I found the car to be slower overall than the 906 (which is mostly due to the 906's extremely low drag I suspect), but this does mean that the race will be edging up towards 2 hours in length once pitstops are factored in. Bob did some independent testing and confirmed the laptime findings.
There's no real nasty gremlins that I've found in the 3 or 4 tests I've run.

We'll stay 2x for both, and if it goes tits up, it'll be my fault, and my fault alone.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 285 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%