AC BMW 235i Racing @ Kyalami - Weds 1st July 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Some info re power band and optimal shifting:

Couple of years ago this car was very popular... at the time @Nielski produced great info re the torque/revs, gear change points. Link to the thread below, and a quick copy 'n paste of the ideal gear change points. Hope it helps, and huge thanks to Neil! :)

Thread:

Quick summary:
"tl;dr: optimal shift points for the real power curve are (gear, shift-rpm):
1 6850
2 6826
3 6285
4 6377
5 6343
6 6089
i.e. in 4th gear, you want to be shifting to 5th at about 6377 rpm. (You won't ever want to shift from 7th to 8th unless you're short of fuel (!) because the revs in 7th never even reach the power peak.)
And yeah, the irony isn't lost on me - although the logic Aris used was broken, the actual shifting RPM he used on track (~6300 rpm) was more or less bang on, once you're out of second gear :D If you didn't know any better you'd think he somehow knew the optimum shift points!
:sneaky::thumbsup: "

Last edited:
I appreciate it and would love to, but I doubt I can make it. If I can, I'll just sign in late and show up. These cars provide some of the closest racing you'll do in AC. Always a little paint rubbed off the doors and a smile on our faces:D Have fun boyzzzzzz!!!!!!!!

out of interest, what 'rigs/cockpits' and wheel set ups are everyone using? I'm currently using a Logitech driving force GT clamped to a desk and a spinny desk chair and just wondering if my current equipment is doing more bad then good? Looking to purchase a cockpit soon and would like some recommendations if possible :)

If you guys could PM me with recommendations that would be wonderful!

Last edited:
out of interest, what 'rigs/cockpits' and wheel set ups are everyone using? I'm currently using a Logitech driving force GT clamped to a desk and a spinny desk chair and just wondering if my current equipment is doing more bad then good? Looking to purchase a cockpit soon and would like some recommendations if possible :)

I use a T300RS clamped to my desk and T3PAs on the carpet, and my chair is a (rolling) Steelcase Leap V1. Cockpit is pretty much only about comfort and immersion, it won't have any real effect on performance :)

Last edited:
I bought a cheap and cheerful rig + G29 from eBay for £195 all in

1593518071679.png

It's ok, but I have had to make small modifications, like welding supports to the bottom of the pedal plate as it could not cope with a loadcell, taking the pedals out of the case because the central strut interferes with access to the brake, space out the front of the seat to recline it and drill extra holes in the wheel plate to allow the G29 to be bolted into place.

I am thinking of making a wooden one so I can mount a HOTAS

I'm sat at the breakfast bar in the kitchen on a wooden garden chair with cushions to bump the sitting height up, using a g27 it's only place in the house I can clamp the wheel down.
Pedals sit on a cardboard box I had to mod to get them to the right height lol.

The only performance issue I'm having with my G29 desk and spinny chair is that the pedals flat on the floor are at the wrong angle. When my left ankle went numb I had to raise them up at the front with a half packet of a4 paper so they sort of swivel and move about now which isn't great. Need to make or find some sort of solid non slip angle rising thing and i'll be happy with my rig for a while yet.

I may be the only one left with no FFB.

I built a wheel and pedal set about 20 years ago when GPL came out. I purchased a Leo Bodnar USB board for better connectivity when USB became the "thing".

I still use it! I know it is holding me back, so I have been actively looking for a used G27 or G29. I may eventually just by a new set.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back