rF2 BMW 2002 tii @ CTMP - Thu 06 Feb 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Hi Denis, you can put me down for a reserve place thanks. had a bike crash last week and broke a finger, so haven't driven yet, but painkillers and and a splint should see me able to race...maybe.

Hi guys,

drove some laps and it´s a very good combo.

But...

that car is a tire slasher. If you eally push it the tires are gone within a couple of laps.
So, it´s all about smoothness and to prevent to much sliding.
Jus keep it in a minimal slide in corners works quite good.

Basically you have to be very smooth on brakes, just slightly touching them. The car has a lot of lift of oversteer. so beeing smooth on brakes and throttle is crucial.

I´ll post my setup, it´s a first step.
I still play around with tire pressures and camber. So there might be changes till thursday.

See you all tomorrow!
Cheers Dan

Attachments

• ttt.svm
    4.3 KB · Views: 96
Hi Denis, you can put me down for a reserve place thanks. had a bike crash last week and broke a finger, so haven't driven yet, but painkillers and and a splint should see me able to race...maybe.
Sign me up please!!!
Welcome back to your spiritual home D, great to hear from you.

Chris, I think you've raced with us on a Thursday before too? If so, welcome back..... if not, welcome to the club.

You guys are in. :thumbsup:

Thanks also for the kind words about the community, it´s my main reason to spend most of the time here!!

A little more setup advice:

Stabilisor Bar/ Arb:
You should try the standard setup. Try to figure out how the car behaves with your driving style.
If you have a lot of understeer -> front arb softer - rear arb harder
If you have a lot of oversteer -> front arb harder - rear arb softer
Just play around with just a few clicks in the beginning.
The softer the arb is, the more grip the axle has.
Back then touring cars like the BMW had very soft rear suspension to get as much grip on the rear as possible. You can see that in old pictures of such types of cars while cornering. They always lifted the inner front wheel.

Aero:
Aero is no issue on that car since there is literally none.

Transmission:
Adjust the final ratio of your transmission so that you get close to the rev limiter on the longest straight.
Sometimes it also helps to change gears less or shift up relatively early. So taking a corner combination in a higher gear f.e. Gear change cost time but it depends on the track.

Tyres:
Drive some laps and observe your tire temperatures. If you experience high temperatures increase tire pressure. If they remain cold most of the time, decrease tyre pressure.
Reason is that a tire with more pressure is overall stiffer so not a lot of flexing energy resulting in lower temps and vice versa.
Always driving at the limit results in very high tire temps in corners. If a tire gets to hot it has less grip.
So if you observe high temps try to take it easier in corner entry.

Brakes:
If you experience the car stepping out under braking adjust brake distribution to the front and vice versa.

I´ll leave out sprngs and dampers, camber and toe.
First try the stuff mentioned above. All the rest needs more time/laps to be validated.

All that stuff influences themselves. That´s the difficult part about it.

So start with simple stuff...rest will come to you over time!!

Check out that video. It´s a different car and track but towards the end i talk about where i look at while driving. Might help.

CU on Thursday!
Cheers Dan
Wow, thanks a lot for this! I have Virtual Car Engineer, but this is even more helpful, or rather said, more direct than what it is with the program, I understood it much better now and thanks for such helping, video is also amazing, I'm just out of words for this one, I don't know what to say beside thank you! :D

Denis, right now there's a strong likelihood that I won't make this week's race. My PC is currently in the shop and may not be ready to go by race time.

I'll be there if at all possible, but it's not looking good right now. Even if it's ready by early tomorrow, we're expecting snow and freezing rain around here, so I may not be able to drive there to pick the PC up. :(

Great stuff. :)
Denis, right now there's a strong likelihood that I won't make this week's race. My PC is currently in the shop and may not be ready to go by race time.

I'll be there if at all possible, but it's not looking good right now. Even if it's ready by early tomorrow, we're expecting snow and freezing rain around here, so I may not be able to drive there to pick the PC up. :(
Sorry to hear that Bert.
Hope they gey it done in time for you.
Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

I am getting BSOD when driving rFactor 2, everything went fine with AC last night, I did a clean windows install last week but it seems it might be some hardware problem. I am going to try few things to see whats going on, hopefully it wont happen again during the race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 92 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 13.8%