rF2 BMW 2002 tii @ CTMP - Thu 06 Feb 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
You've done it again, Denis! Another fun combo - Please count me in!

Now, if someone is willing to share their gear ratio adjustments or perhaps even a nice overall set up, I'm all ears! :D

P.S.: With the release of LA Canyons 1.2 for AC and a scheduled update from iRacing on Tuesday, along with this race, the seat for my PC will be getting worn out this week! ;)

Good to hear tagt you will race with us.
I will give the combo a try on Wednesday around 10am European time If the server will be up then...
So if you can, join it

Good to hear tagt you will race with us.
I will give the combo a try on Wednesday around 10am European time If the server will be up then...
So if you can, join it
Thanks for the offer, Daniel.

But my PC will be going in for service later today and I MAY not have it back until later on Wednesday. Besides -- 10 am in Europe is 5 am here. So, I won't even be awake by then. ;)

Hello, I'm still new here, can I sign for reserve please? I ask this because new wheel should arrive on the day of the race and I need to see if I will be able to make it to the race, if that's okay with host of this event. Also, I would like to ask for help and if someone has good setup to share with me if I'm accepted?

Hello, I'm still new here, can I sign for reserve please? I ask this because new wheel should arrive on the day of the race and I need to see if I will be able to make it to the race, if that's okay with host of this event. Also, I would like to ask for help and if someone has good setup to share with me if I'm accepted?
Of course you can have a reserve spot.
I guess I can post my special magic setup on an open forum.... if I must. :cry:

Attachments

• 2002ti ;).svm
    4.3 KB · Views: 93
Thanks for reserve spot! And of course you don't have to post it, I'm just asking for help, since I will not be able to practice, and since this is completely new car to me and will drive it first time, so I doubt I will be any threat, maybe in Q, but in race it's very likely I will make mistakes since I love to push car to the limit, and with this little time to get know both the car and the track...and not to mention new wheel and accomodation to this too! I have to be either careful or risk and get reward (read punishment) haha, so I'm kindly asking if anyone has really good setup, it would mean me a lot, since I also want to have fun and want to explore and also have some good battles if possible, but I definitely will be more cautious since this is unknown territory for me and I'm new here, but I'm really interested and I hope I will join the race! :D

Thanks for reserve spot! And of course you don't have to post it, I'm just asking for help, since I will not be able to practice, and since this is completely new car to me and will drive it first time, so I doubt I will be any threat, maybe in Q, but in race it's very likely I will make mistakes since I love to push car to the limit, and with this little time to get know both the car and the track...and not to mention new wheel and accomodation to this too! I have to be either careful or risk and get reward (read punishment) haha, so I'm kindly asking if anyone has really good setup, it would mean me a lot, since I also want to have fun and want to explore and also have some good battles if possible, but I definitely will be more cautious since this is unknown territory for me and I'm new here, but I'm really interested and I hope I will join the race! :D
That's not my very best setup, but it's close. I'm here to have fun and to help others have fun, so I can post my set. :)

Oh, thank you very much! I really appreciate this, since I don't understand much about setups, but I have program with which I learn about those and also I spend lot of time to understand what's going on and to work out really good setup, so sometimes it knows to be pain in ass so to say when someone just comes and ask for setup, but this is related just for some leagues where peoples want to just get good setup and spare good time not wasting on searching for one, at least it was my experience so far when in league, but I also like to help someone who doesn't know much and share with them, so I definitely appreciate you accepting my vow for help, I'm sure it will help me, and thank you once more time, I'm happy because of this! :D

@killercake95

Welcome and i hope you can get your wheel running on time.

To be honest, first, don´t focus on setup. Just race with us.
I managed to win some races over here, maybe 3 in the last 6 years.

I usually don´t do much setup work. I just check if i feel comfortable with the car and if not, adjust it a bit to feel comfortable. Feeling comfortable helps with consistency. And consistency is one of the main keys on track!!
So basically i only play around mainly with ARB´s, wings and tire pressures (to have good tire-temps all around). If i have more time to spend for setup i also play around with camber and caster.
Anyway, since cheating a setup needs a lot of time, i mostly just drive and have fun. Focus on beeing consistent and comfortable with my pace.
I don´t push the car often either, especially since, at least in RF2 with it´s advanced tire model, you have to take care of your tires. Maybe not in sprint races, but for sure in longer races with 60min plus.

So my tip is, just give it a go, don´t think about others laptimes or overall position. Just drive!
I don´t use setups of others to be honest. Everybody has his own driving style. So a setup that the other one is fast with, doesn´t mean that you will be faster too. You could be even way slower with it....

(Hopefully) see you on Thursday!

Cheers Dan

Thanks for advice, I sure have this in my mind and learned early on that it's not setup that makes you faster, but it definitely has its magics and helps you get faster if you know what are you doing and if you are driving good, that is number one of course, but my concern is that if I'm not feeling comfortable with the car, I still don't have understanding of what is needed to change in order to find what suits me, so I count on this to help me, of course, my plan is to try on default first and to get accomodated, and then to try setup for which I'm grateful that host of this event shared with us so kindly, and then to see, especially since I will have lot of stuff going on...new wheel, new feeling, new car, new track, so it will be really challenging, and as for consistency, this is currently my weak spot, but not every time, but I work on it so definitely thanks for advice!

And also, it's important how we are driving while we are consistent, I sure will have little harder time managing that so I guess I will be more harsh to tire wear than you with same default setup, so fine line is also important, but of course, you know better than I since you have far more experience as I can see from your text, and I agree with what you said, definitely good simulation and good fun while having all of that on your radar :D

One more time, thanks for advice and such kind words, I definitely share the same view of this as you said in conclusion to me, and will try my best to not "stress" myself out, I'm also looking to just enjoy and learn, that is big part of enjoyment for me so...can't wait, I just hope I will manage it in time and thanks for hoping to see me on Thursday! (and btw, yes, I'm aware of this, that's why if I manage to come to the race, I will try both default and this setup and see if it suits me, and eventually try to change something if needed and if I will have some time, it all depends on that wheel when it will arrive)

I have to give compliments to you guys, I'm amazed by such support and eagerness for racing and for such honest help and advice, it's very nice to see and experience that, very glad to be part of it and that you accepted me! :D

Thanks also for the kind words about the community, it´s my main reason to spend most of the time here!!

A little more setup advice:

Stabilisor Bar/ Arb:
You should try the standard setup. Try to figure out how the car behaves with your driving style.
If you have a lot of understeer -> front arb softer - rear arb harder
If you have a lot of oversteer -> front arb harder - rear arb softer
Just play around with just a few clicks in the beginning.
The softer the arb is, the more grip the axle has.
Back then touring cars like the BMW had very soft rear suspension to get as much grip on the rear as possible. You can see that in old pictures of such types of cars while cornering. They always lifted the inner front wheel.

Aero:
Aero is no issue on that car since there is literally none.

Transmission:
Adjust the final ratio of your transmission so that you get close to the rev limiter on the longest straight.
Sometimes it also helps to change gears less or shift up relatively early. So taking a corner combination in a higher gear f.e. Gear change cost time but it depends on the track.

Tyres:
Drive some laps and observe your tire temperatures. If you experience high temperatures increase tire pressure. If they remain cold most of the time, decrease tyre pressure.
Reason is that a tire with more pressure is overall stiffer so not a lot of flexing energy resulting in lower temps and vice versa.
Always driving at the limit results in very high tire temps in corners. If a tire gets to hot it has less grip.
So if you observe high temps try to take it easier in corner entry.

Brakes:
If you experience the car stepping out under braking adjust brake distribution to the front and vice versa.

I´ll leave out sprngs and dampers, camber and toe.
First try the stuff mentioned above. All the rest needs more time/laps to be validated.

All that stuff influences themselves. That´s the difficult part about it.

So start with simple stuff...rest will come to you over time!!

Check out that video. It´s a different car and track but towards the end i talk about where i look at while driving. Might help.

CU on Thursday!
Cheers Dan

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%