Blue Flags

Decenten

Driver of the #73 Team OGMRZ Holden V8SC
I had a Skip Barber race last night at Sebring where I was in 6th position and came up on some lapped cars that were battling for position 16th and 17th respectively. I tried passing them but gave up as it was too dangerous. I stayed behind for a few more laps to see if they would let me through but when they didn't I vented my frustration over the radio and one of them let me by. I then got past the other one but he decided to fight for position and forced his way past me. I was right behind and tried to get past but he wouldn't let me through even was going to the inside so I couldnt get past. This slowed me down, made me mad and heated my rear tires causing a spin.

My question is should iRacing make a rule that if you remain under the blue flag for a lap or so then you need to let the car behind past. I think it should being on the receiving end of this but would like to hear your thoughts.

As you know in iRacing a Blue Flag requires no action from the driver receiving it.
That being said I can't understand the one racing you after the battle had died down with his opponent. Bizarre.

The problem with your idea is that it has to be fool-proof for the 'dumb' computer system - what if a lapping car just refuses to pass you for a lap making you DQ'd?

Sometimes it's hard to take but put it down to experience! :)

Last edited:
As you know in iRacing a Blue Flag requires no action from the driver receiving it.
That being said I can't understand the one racing you after the battle had died down with his opponent. Bizarre.

The problem with your idea is that it has to be fool-proof for the 'dumb' computer system - what if a lapping car just refuses to pass you for a lap making you DQ'd?

Sometimes it's hard to take but put it down to experience! :)
Maybe a system where it recognises that the driver receiving the blue flag remains consistently under the blue flag for two full laps (average number of laps to get out of the way of the car if you are faster) and if not then pitlane stop and go penalty received with a loss of safety rating. I say a loss of safety rating because it has become valuable and most people wont want to risk a loss of SR for a battle for a non existent position.

Sounds like 16th and 17th were racing, so I don't blame them for not jumping right out of the way as a courtesy. Sounds like they didn't have that luxury.

At the end of the day, no, unless they were blocking you they did nothing wrong. Using lap traffic to help your own battle is completely legitimate.

If you asked to be let through, why were you then slower than the lapped car? Imagine from his position, a car a lap up begs to be allowed past, then slows you down threatening you to lose a position.

Sounds like 16th and 17th were racing, so I don't blame them for not jumping right out of the way as a courtesy. Sounds like they didn't have that luxury.

At the end of the day, no, unless they were blocking you they did nothing wrong. Using lap traffic to help your own battle is completely legitimate.

If you asked to be let through, why were you then slower than the lapped car? Imagine from his position, a car a lap up begs to be allowed past, then slows you down threatening you to lose a position.
One guy let me past I then get past the next guy but he doesnt give up and dives down my inside into turn one making me have to run wide so I avoid the accident I then catch him up but he was driving down the inside of the corners making me drive around the outside of him which didnt work. It was very frustrating

In this race, do you think being held up prevented you from catching 5th place, or getting stuck behind threatened you being passed by 7th place?
I got passed by 7th because of this. If he let me through I would have been way up the road by the end of the race and before I caught them I was catching 5th

I got passed by 7th because of this. If he let me through I would have been way up the road by the end of the race and before I caught them I was catching 5th
Got passed by seventh because you spun trying to pass, or because 7th place had caught up to these drivers? How was 5th place able to pass them?

This wasn't a week 13 race, was it?

I had a Skip Barber race last night at Sebring where I was in 6th position and came up on some lapped cars that were battling for position 16th and 17th respectively. I tried passing them but gave up as it was too dangerous. I stayed behind for a few more laps to see if they would let me through but when they didn't I vented my frustration over the radio and one of them let me by. I then got past the other one but he decided to fight for position and forced his way past me. I was right behind and tried to get past but he wouldn't let me through even was going to the inside so I couldnt get past. This slowed me down, made me mad and heated my rear tires causing a spin.

My question is should iRacing make a rule that if you remain under the blue flag for a lap or so then you need to let the car behind past. I think it should being on the receiving end of this but would like to hear your thoughts.

As others have mentioned the blue flag is only informative to the receiving driver(s).

It sounds like the second of the lapped drivers was being a bit of a prick after the first driver let you pass. Were you battling for your position with another driver close behind you?

As others have mentioned the blue flag is only informative to the receiving driver(s).

It sounds like the second of the lapped drivers was being a bit of a prick after the first driver let you pass. Were you battling for your position with another driver close behind you?
Yeah and lost the position due to him being an arse...

As others have stated (in iRacing) a blue flag is advisory only for the recipient driver and requires no action on his part. The recipient should not deviate from the racing line, so he should be predictable to pass. If the recipient is to do anything, a slight lift of the throttle can ease the passing but it is not required.

Now, if we're talking about what he should do outside of what the current rules require then that's another story. Not sure if you're just venting a bit or think the rules need to be changed.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 376 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.9%