Blown Diffusers

This is how I predict they'll have to map the exhausts:
2012exhaust.jpg
[/IMG]

Obviously running inbetween the lower rear wing and the diffuser.

I like how they enforce these rules, but also bring in a feature that directly contradicts them. DRS. It's a device that affects a car's aerodynamic according to a driver's movement: pressing the button.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love DRS. I'm just pointing out what a bunch of c**ts FIA is.

I like how they enforce these rules, but also bring in a feature that directly contradicts them. DRS. It's a device that affects a car's aerodynamic according to a driver's movement: pressing the button.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love DRS. I'm just pointing out what a bunch of c**ts FIA is.

A bit harsh.
The idea was to embrace the development, but scale it so its affordable for all teams, not just the richest.

Either way Its the FIA banning Innovation yet agian, i wonder how long it will be before F1 is a spec series.

Innovation? According to the regulations not. REd bull can still pull off a great car, even if "innovation" is banned. lol really. we are dealing with Andrian Newey here not a noob. He'll make that car fly still.

You've got to think that the designers like Newey have a back-up plan when they know they're stretching the boundaries of the rules.
Red Bull, Renault, McLaren, everyone that uses the hot/cold-blown diffuser would've had a 'Plan B' worked out at the same time they implemented the new diffuser system, knowing that it was pushing the boundaries a bit and might get taken away.
You'd be stupid not to.

I see the same ol' story being told at Silverstone this weekend unfortunately.

i hate sounding like a nub here, but what is an "off-throttle blown diffuser" and what does it do with the car exactly? i know a diffuser improves the aerodynamics underneath the car but in F1 they seem to be more than that.

yeah, this is my first season of watching it :X

i hate sounding like a nub here, but what is an "off-throttle blown diffuser" and what does it do with the car exactly? i know a diffuser improves the aerodynamics underneath the car but in F1 they seem to be more than that.yeah, this is my first season of watching it :X

Basically the teams are extending the exhaust pipes so they blow into the diffuser, creating a 'vacuum' effect under the car. Naturally this creates downforce and pushes the rear tyres into the floor. This is the 'Blown Diffuser'.

The teams are taking this system further by modifying the engine mapping software so that when the driver takes his foot off the throttle, the throttle stays open, keeping exhaust gases blowing through the diffuser.

This basically creates extra downforce in the corners when the driver is 'off-throttle'.

Hopefully this helps to explain it.

i hate sounding like a nub here, but what is an "off-throttle blown diffuser" and what does it do with the car exactly? i know a diffuser improves the aerodynamics underneath the car but in F1 they seem to be more than that.

It is blowing exhaust gasses through the diffuser aiding in the car's downforce even while the driver is not applying any throttle input. Red Bull + Renault are doing a better job than anyone else and I guess the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) did not like the idea. So much for F1 being innovative. Fortunately some sanity has prevailed and the mid season rule changes have been reversed. Look for these "off-throttle blown diffuser" to be banned before the start of the 2012 season, but they are here for the remainder of this season.

F1 is not as bad as NASCAR with their artificial race finish engineering, but they are closing the gap.

Basically the teams are extending the exhaust pipes so they blow into the diffuser, creating a 'vacuum' effect under the car. Naturally this creates downforce and pushes the rear tyres into the floor. This is the 'Blown Diffuser'.

The teams are taking this system further by modifying the engine mapping software so that when the driver takes his foot off the throttle, the throttle stays open, keeping exhaust gases blowing through the diffuser.

This basically creates extra downforce in the corners when the driver is 'off-throttle'.

Hopefully this helps to explain it.

yes this actually explained it perfectly. i figured it had something to do with exhaust.

from the way you guys explained it, i honestly see no reason to ban it. It doesn't seem like something as big as KERS or DRS. Sounds like something any team could do if they really wanted it. Sounds like it would make the race more entertaining too with more speed and control around corners :D

yes this actually explained it perfectly. i figured it had something to do with exhaust.from the way you guys explained it, i honestly see no reason to ban it. It doesn't seem like something as big as KERS or DRS. Sounds like something any team could do if they really wanted it. Sounds like it would make the race more entertaining too with more speed and control around corners :D

It's being banned for a couple of reasons.

Some teams are starting to allow fuel to be sprayed into the exhausts, which are obviously very hot. So this would blow hotter gases onto the diffusers, creating more negative pressure/vacuum, increasing downforce even more.

From the FIA's perspective, this goes against the fuel-efficient, greener image that they're trying to create. Plus development costs will begin to spiral out of control as teams start to take the development further and further.

It's being banned for a couple of reasons.

Some teams are starting to allow fuel to be sprayed into the exhausts, which are obviously very hot. So this would blow hotter gases onto the diffusers, creating more negative pressure/vacuum, increasing downforce even more.

From the FIA's perspective, this goes against the fuel-efficient, greener image that they're trying to create. Plus development costs will begin to spiral out of control as teams start to take the development further and further.

i guess it makes sense to stop something they dont like early while they can, before they have rainbows and purple fire n **** starting to fly out underneath the car.
but eh i dont like the whole green image idea they're trying to put on, i mean, it's racing ffs.
then again, spraying it into the exhaust would just mean they have to buy more fuel.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%