Blancpain GT Series at Silverstone - Who's Going?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Silversone Blancpain round.jpg

Silverstone plays host to the second round of the 2019 Blancpain GT Series this weekend - anyone fancy meeting up?

Seeing as we found out how busy it can be when right in the heart of an eSport series at Monza last month, none of the RaceDepartment crew have actually managed to see any track action from the current Blancpain GT Series this season - something we very much intend to put right this coming weekend!

Seeing as Silverstone is in the UK, and a reasonable central location, some of the RaceDepartment faithful are heading down (or up, depending on geographical location) to the home of the British Grand Prix to catch us some quality GT3 racing action. Making the trip to Silverstone will be RaceDepartment regulars @Joseph Wright @Chris Haye @VernWozza and myself, so why not pop over and say hi if you plan on coming along to the race yourselves?

We intend to be on site on Sunday for the main event, and it would be great to connect with some of the awesome RaceDepartment community to say hi and enjoy some racing action. We might even get our coffee in a more appropriate vessel than a plastic beer pint pot in Northamptonshire.. (not sure where that reference came from? Check out our postcard from Monza article HERE).

So, if you fancy saying hello and grabbing a quick chat while watching GT3 racing cars in the probably freezing cold wind of Silverstone, let us know in the comments section below!

Image Credit: Blancpain GT Series

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Wow awesome response! I'll wait until the Saturday night, and pop you all a PM to set up a WhatsApp group (showing off now I've got a phone for the first time in over a decade!).

This is gonna be cool!

I’ve been the last few years. A bargain entrance fee and lots of entertainment over the weekend.

Would love to have gone but I couldn’t get the time off work this time and a Saturday flight from Guernsey was £170 return so I had to leave it this year :(

Two things that people who’ve never been before may not know. One it’s based at the old pit complex not at the Wing building. Secondly, take your mobile with you and listen to the race commentary via the Blancpain app (unless you are on pay as you go or are charged for your data!) As the event is based at the old pits complex they transmit the commentary on the old 1602kHz MW transmitter which is ok but crackly. So make sure you have a MW radio on you if you don’t want to listen via the app. People were buying radios in the shop which won’t work as they are FM only now. There are commentary speakers of course but with 40+ cars you won’t hear much of it. The app is free and brilliant of course for race position updates whilst you are watching. Up to you.

Get there early and enjoy the atmosphere. The autograph session is quite long and you’ll have lots of time to grab loads of signatures.

Blancpain is a brilliant series and even though the variety has dropped a little this year this series reminds me of seeing 50+ cars in ‘96 and ‘97.

Last edited:
If I were still living in the UK I would be there in a heart beat.

I think I've actually lost count over how many times I've been to Silverstone. For over a decade a group of us went camping over there for the entire F1 weekend starting on Thursday evening. Setting up your tent whilst the BBQ was getting ready and having a well earned beer and burger as the sun set was something purely magical. Up the next morning for bacon sarnies and all day track action. Man I miss it...

I have to settle for Blancpain Asia at Sepang these days. Not as much fun or atmosphere but you still see some great racing and the awesome GT3 machinery.

Hoping you all have the best weekend. Please have a beer and burger for those of us that cannot attend... :thumbsup:;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 445 39.3%