Binding issue with AC and other sims

Hi dudes, hoping I can get some input on this. Long story short, I've moved from Oculus ecosystem to SteamVR. Normally I can access virtual desktop with the remote, but I now have to use a controller to get there via Steam VR and its dashboard. I have a Dualshock 4.

I can use DS4Windows to mimic an Xbox controller, that's fine. My problem is, EVERY TIME I turn the controller on, it wants to rebind ALL my wheel pedal and button box assignments to the controller. This is clearly driving me insane. I only want the controller to access the Steam Virtual Dash and then I use my mouse while in Virtual Desktop but this is making it increasingly frustrating every time I try to use it. I've tried other ways of getting the controller to be recognised in SteamVR but it doesn't seem to like any other way with the DS4 other than imitating an Xbox pad via DS4Windows.

It's happened in rFactor 2 as well and I can only assume it will continue to do so with other sims. Anyone have any experience with SteamVR and it's insistence on an Xbox controller? I've even tried to force on the controller through SteamVR right click options but still nothing.

I have a PS4 for fighting games and the VERY rare time I actually play something else that isn't on PC. I'd have to just reacquire an Xbox pad. I had 2 of them and flogged them off when I got the PS4 as I didn't need them any more. One actually came with the Rift.....

It's SO stupid the way controllers are handled in SteamVR and EVEN MORE stupid the way the pad just rebinds ALL my sims assignments as soon as it's turned on. Extremely aggravating.

Upvote 0
I have a PS4 for fighting games and the VERY rare time I actually play something else that isn't on PC. I'd have to just reacquire an Xbox pad. I had 2 of them and flogged them off when I got the PS4 as I didn't need them any more. One actually came with the Rift.....

It's SO stupid the way controllers are handled in SteamVR and EVEN MORE stupid the way the pad just rebinds ALL my sims assignments as soon as it's turned on. Extremely aggravating.
I remember having all sorts of problems with DS4Windows and ended up buying an Xbox controller to get native support, just before getting the Rift and ANOTHER controller. D'oh!
These middleware solutions like DS4Windows and Joy2Key are fantastic until they're not. I've actually just ditched Joy2Key and use the in-app button bindings in Content Manager, but there's no mouse emulation so I have to keep that within reach whereas with Joy2Key I could bind it to my 918 RSR left joystick. I'm just a lot happier removing as many links in the comms chain as I can, especially based on recent experiences where all my sim tech seemed to become self-aware and tried to piss me off as much as possible.

Upvote 0
I don't think this will help with your re-binding issue, but I use Controller Companion off Steam. It allows mouse/keyboard function on the controller, with a key combo to switch it into controller mode (this happens automatically upon fullscreen application launch).

As for your DS4Windows woes, just get an XBOX One controller and call it a day.

Upvote 0
Buying a specific controller for literally ONE button (the Back button to toggle the Dashboard) is one of the reasons SteamVR still sucks as a VR solution.Steam supports DS4 controllers, but for some reason they cause hell in VR? It even rebinds my keys without DS4windows open as soon as I turn it on, depending on Steam controller settings.

It's so stupid it makes my head hurt. How about NOT rebinding keys in my sims, at will?

Upvote 0
Buying a specific controller for literally ONE button (the Back button to toggle the Dashboard) is one of the reasons SteamVR still sucks as a VR solution.Steam supports DS4 controllers, but for some reason they cause hell in VR? It even rebinds my keys without DS4windows open as soon as I turn it on, depending on Steam controller settings.

It's so stupid it makes my head hurt. How about NOT rebinding keys in my sims, at will?
I’m confused how is it rebinding them? That shouldn’t be possible should it? :O_o:

Is it not just the device order which Windows changes and therefore makes your bindings null as controllers always seem to go on the top for me which would bump all my devices down by one and stop everything working if I was using one.

I’d have to rebind everything will the controller turned on AND plugged in otherwise when it auto turns off it would all break again.

Upvote 0
That's what happens. How do I knock the controller down to the last device then so nothing is tampered with?
I don’t think you can because Windows just screws it all up and sets the IDs and orders automatically. Every time I got a new bit of equipment I had to rebind everything in every sim because new things don’t just get added to the end :mad:.

I read about an MS employee who was a sim racer trying to make an app to let you change it but it didn’t work. You basically have to use a motion controller because they aren’t seen as separate controllers by windows, launch the games outside of VR to not mess with it or keep the DS4 plugged in/turned on and rebind everything.

Upvote 0
So just an update to this issue. I thought it might be a good idea to try using the DS4 pad while connected via a USB cable rather than bluetooth. This is the way I used to run the 360 controller as they did not have a built in way to easily connect to the PC wireless. So far, it seems that if you do not engage in connecting the pad with bluetooth AT ALL and just let the cable do its thing, it basically operates like an Xbox pad.

Doing it this way, there seems to be no issue with rebinding assignments in any of the sims, the interaction with SteamVR seems to be working as intended and everything seems to just work. I haven't had a great deal of time with it, but if this is the solution, I'll happily take it over buying another pad just for one button.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 60 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years