Bind multiple functions to one button by long press/shift - How many have been missing out on this feature?

I just tinkered around with my controls in ACC when I miss clicked something and found this feature by accident.

screenshot buttons.png

If you bind a button to a function and then hit the little arrow on the right side (marked green on the screen shot) you get another menu where you can check extended input and use a shift button. Now you can have multiple functions mappen to one button.

I bet this will make life easier for quite a few people out there who have a limited number of buttons and had to skip out a on some functions. I had no idea and I guess/hope(?) I'm not alone, because if I am, you should have told me months ago :p

Time to get on the track and use that flasher!
tenor.gif

I did see the feature, but I really didn't think hard about what it could be used for - but now coming to think of it, you could bind wipers and cycle wipers, lights and cycle lights, to the same button on the wheel... cool stuff actually.

Yes, this is a great feature and i've been using it a lot. on my T500RS i have mapped pretty much everything i need, using both the "long press" and the shift function. It basically doubles the buttons available on my wheel.

I've got to admit I'm confused by this function so have never attempted to use it :thumbsdown:

Can I use a single button on my wheel to do two functions without having to use a keyboard key?

For example, could I use the 'wiper' button to switch wipers on and also cycle through the wiper speed? If so, can someone give me a dummies guide please :)

I've got to admit I'm confused by this function so have never attempted to use it :thumbsdown:

Can I use a single button on my wheel to do two functions without having to use a keyboard key?

For example, could I use the 'wiper' button to switch wipers on and also cycle through the wiper speed? If so, can someone give me a dummies guide please :)

That is exactly what you can do.

First, assign the primary function as you alway do for your wheel.

Then go to the next function you want to assign to that same button on the wheel, and go to the "Down Arrow" for that function.

A new sub-menu for that function appears, and select "Extended input" and in "Extended time" input how many seconds you need to press the button on your wheel, for that function to work.

Now you have a short press for one function, and a long press for another, on the same button.

Is "shift" and "extended press" the same thing here or can you define one button as a "shift" key (like a prefix key in Emacs)?

As I understand it, you can assign a button on you wheel to be a "Shift special button", and then you can use that button in combination with one of the buttons that you are already using, for extra functions, so you can actually have 3 functions on the same button - but you do sacrifice a button to be the "shift special"-button.

I haven't tried it out myself yet - but could be a great idea for the 3 light modes? But you really would have to reuse the "shift special"-button 3-4 times for it to make sense :)

I saw a video on youtube of Jadier
where he maps "look back" command with a combination of two buttons. I have the same wheel as him, but cant get how he did it, When you map a button on look left, right or back, the down arrow for more options as extended time and shift doesnt appear. any help?

I watched Jardier's video too and wanted that function, assign look left and right to your buttons of choice and clear the assignment for look back, then you just need to press look left & right at the same time.

As I understand it, you can assign a button on you wheel to be a "Shift special button", and then you can use that button in combination with one of the buttons that you are already using, for extra functions, so you can actually have 3 functions on the same button - but you do sacrifice a button to be the "shift special"-button.

Correct. Works like a charm on my BMW GT2 wheel. I assigned the D-pad button (pushed) as the special shift button. A few examples:

Button 3 = Decrease TC
Button 2 = Decrease TC
D-pad + 3 = Increase ABS
D-pad + 2 = Decrease ABS

Haven't tried the "Extended Input" yet, though.

Cheers

With regard to the Wiper and Cycle Wiper function. You only need to assign the 'Cycle Wiper' to a button. Press once and it goes to speed 1, twice speed 2 etc. No need to have the 'Wiper' button assigned at all.

I just tinkered around with my controls in ACC when I miss clicked something and found this feature by accident.

View attachment 361437

If you bind a button to a function and then hit the little arrow on the right side (marked green on the screen shot) you get another menu where you can check extended input and use a shift button. Now you can have multiple functions mappen to one button.

I bet this will make life easier for quite a few people out there who have a limited number of buttons and had to skip out a on some functions. I had no idea and I guess/hope(?) I'm not alone, because if I am, you should have told me months ago :p

Time to get on the track and use that flasher!
View attachment 361442
Wow, just came across this post/ thread and man it definitely made life a bit easier. Thanks so much!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 279 13.5%