Bianchi’s father say his sons condition is now “stagnant”

Seb Scott

Formula 1 Reporter
Banner for Jules Bianchi.jpg

On the anniversary of Jules Bianchi's first points finish in Formula One and for his team known at the time as Marussia, Philippe Bianchi, Jules' father has spoken publicly regarding his sons condition and the progress so far.

Bianchi suffered a horrific accident at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix, losing control in torrential rain resulting in a head on collision with a tractor on track recovering Adrian Sutil’s retired Sauber. Bianchi hit tractor with such force that himself and the car went underneath, and through to the other side of the trackside recovery vehicle. The Frenchman was taken to Yokkaichi hospital, where he was treated for two months before being transferred to his hometown of Nice in the south of France and has remained there since.

Speaking to French television station Canal+ Philippe Bianchi said “The first thing is Jules is alive, that’s the most important thing for us,

“He’s fighting with the weapons he has, but in neurological terms I’m not sure he is able to do much now.

“Seeing him fighting gives a lot of hope to his loved ones, and it’s important for us. I think we all stopped living that day, the fifth of October.

“It’s something you can never expect. It’s not what Jules wants, being in a hospital bed. It’s not his life, it’s not what we want either. But we have to keep hope.

“While there is life, there is hope, even though after a while you are hoping for a miracle. Every day is difficult. The situation is stagnant. Jules’ neurological progress is not what we would like it to be.

“When we get up every morning we think of Jules’ life, we think also of his death. We have to think about death because we are in a situation where we know a lot of things can happen. It’s terrible.

“It was Jules’ dream to score points in Formula 1, and he did it with Marussia,

“I was there, and I was lucky enough when Jules finished the grand prix that I was the first person he took into his arms because I was on my own when he finished. Those are incredible moments.

“Jules is here, despite the shock [accident] he had. He’s still here and he’s fighting. All of these people thinking about him gives Jules strength. He can feel it and it’s beautiful. We’re very touched by it.”

#ForzaJules

Last edited by a moderator:
This sure doesn't sound good, I am sorry to say. The father was vague about his condition, but from what he said doesn't look like they are very hopeful. In those conditions, pneumonia and any hospital borne bug can be deadly. But even if he survives, I don't know that his quality of life will be acceptable.

I actually have some experience in that regard. A bit over 10 years ago I too was dying in a hospital bed. My brain poisoned by ammonia, my body depleted, but above all, confined in a bed with only a glimmer of hope.

In my case, that glimmer turned out to be a reality. I was lucky.
But I remember vividly envying those that suffered a quick death. Soldiers, race car drivers, crash victims. I was at a point where I really envied them because at least they died quickly and with dignity.

Hospitals are depressing and probably the worse place to die. I remember suffering daily indignities. From the lousy food, to the need to call a nurse for my bodily functions.

When I finally got my life saving surgery, I was still staring at 5 to 6 months feeling like a quartered animal. Tubes pretty much everywhere. I could not talk, I could hardly move. Even a cup of Jell-o looked like an unattainable luxury at the time.

And the depression. My family was thrilled I survived, but I could not stop crying for all my roommates that didn't make it. I also could not stop crying for myself. At the time I didn't know I would recover as well as I have, and I was staring down at a life I did not want any part of.

At the time, I was already much older than Jules Bianchi and I felt robbed by life. I can only hope that Jules is being sheltered from those feelings by his neurological situation. Nothing worse than wasting away and being aware of it, like I was.

I hope that if Jules survives, he'll retain enough of his old self to feel pride of what he has done and the ability to build himself a new life.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 487 39.1%