Beta v0.7.9.1 is ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Hi Guys,

The Beta is ready for the next round of testing.

If you are an experienced BTB Pro/Evo user and would like to help, please read on.

Preparation

BACKUP - You should be doing this anyway, but make sure you backup your project before using the new BETA version. I test this on my own projects first but it still pays to be safe.

If you wish to keep your current version of BTB running, make a copy (do not just rename the current one) of the folder and name it something obvious like BobsTrackBuilderv0_7_0_6.

Uninstall BTB v0.7.0.6.
Uninstall BTB v0.7.9.0.

Installation

Download here --> http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/pro_users/beta_test.aspx

Download and install as usual. Copy your existing license to the folder.

If your license is no longer working for the beta, email me your username and license description (as entered into the BTB website).

Known Issues

- Opening Materials window causes error : if you have this error please report what operating system you are running.

Reporting Problems

Only report problems with the Beta here. This is not a thread for "what I want to see .." ideas.

Please check the manual (press F1) first before asking for help.

When sending me a project please zip the entire contents of your project (eg. The entire folder C:\Program Files\BobsTrackBuilder\My Projects\My Project). You could omit and XPack.zip files that are the standard ones downloaded from the BTB website.

Changes

Check out the videos in this thread to see the major changes ...
http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/20052-progress-update-aiw-editing-video.html
http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/18599-progress-report.html

Added/Changed
• Cross-sections
- Editing of cross-section for track and walls now performed through the 3d window, although 2d window can still be used.
- Added Cross-section template support to XPacker. Different shaped roads and walls can be defined in an XPack allowing the BTB user to quickly use a standard shape.
- In BTB Right-click to open the popup menu and select a new cross-section template when editing the track or walls. (Tip: in the 3d view the opening of the popup menu is delayed because the right mouse is used for looking around. To have it open immediately you can right-click-left-click).
- Copy/Paste of cross-section shape and materials.
- Sped up track cross-section editing with huge improvements for large tracks with lots of objects.
• XPacker - Added ability to categorise Materials so that some are not shown in some windows. Eg. Materials applicable to Objects are not show in Track’s Material selection.
• Material selection now performed through popup window instead of always being in the surface/wall window.
• Insertion of Track Nodes performed by holding the Control key when you click on the Track (instead of having a separate tool).
• Road edge transition now a straight line instead of the smoothed interpolation used for height shape transition.
• Objects, when in rotation edit mode, can be rotated by holding the Y key instead of clicking the circles. X and Z can also be used for other axis but Y will be most popular since it controls the Yaw.
• Old method of creating Driveline made with a lot of points is now replaced by new Curve method.
• AIW editing allows adding/editing of:
- Centreline path
- Pitlane path
- Fast path
- Corridors
- Grid / Teleport positions can be attached to Centerline or moved independently.
- Garage / Pit positions can be attached to the pitlane or moved independently.
• Drag Pacenotes around by clicking on them instead of grabbing them by their balls.
• Positioning of everything (Cambers, widths, cross-section surfaces) along the track made more accurate. This also applies to walls.
• Evo export lowered to make horizon start at a better position.

Fixed:
• SObjects not being named when created.
• Alpha textured objects were not receiving light in rF, and Evo games.
• Rotation/resizing whole track was not affecting the SObjects.
• Bug in terrain Fill (under some circumstances).
• Crash when Projects folder is deleted by user and then BTB started.

As stated in the video I do not intend to support every possible AI feature, oinly the basics needed to get working AI paths. If you wish to add/edit the AI futher I suggest you use one or more of the tools here ... http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/16976-beginners-guide-making-rfactor-aiw-file.html

Managing Pace Car locations

Peeta,

What happens if you load the track directly after you export it from BTB? Are there issues in rFactor or does this only happen when you open the AIW file in G-man's AIW editor?

I should have been more precise with my reporting. I own GTR2, GT Legends and Evolution. Only reason I use the AIW editor at all is it is MUCH faster reviewing a change than having to load the actual game ( GTR2 in this case )

I have since discovered the causation of this problem " seems " to be linked to SMOOTHING control nodes that are adjacent to the starting node. I did a step by step review of map smoothing a single node at a time in question area and all was fine UNTIL I did either node beside the starting node of track. Also noted that changing to Bezier curves from Cardinal will also cause this to happen in the area in question. Having solved this issue I am now stuck at trying to convince the SAFETY Car driver to stay off the track ( Middle of track ) regardless of where I place it in BTB. AIW Editor shows the location is where I want it but when loaded into GTR2 it reverts to dead centre in the middle of the track. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions I can try would be greatly appreciated

I found out the hard way that when converting rFactor tracks to GTL/GTR2/Evo the AIW file must be edited to properly position the Safety Car. The coordinates from rFactor's "[AUX] LocationIndex=0" needs to be added to GTR2's [GRID] section as "GridIndex=103" (this places the Safety Car on the track in front of the Starting Grid). The coordinates from rFactor's "[AUX] LocationIndex=1" needs to be added to GTR2's [PITS] section as "TeamIndex=51" (this places the Safety Car in the Pits).

Happy editing!

Hi banger,

Please try and narrow down the problem. For example, if it is an export-to-game error, trying saving your project as another copy, then removing sections (objects/sobjects) until the project does begin to work.

Thanks.

thanks brendon, the aiw looks great now, no more spining cars.but i still have the orignal problem of exporting to rfactor,has previous thread.can;t seem to find anything at the moment,which is causing the rfactor to crash.has i put it through simed and re exported, all seems to be fine,excepted the blending grass areas.i will send you the venue files.and the xpack i added to it.the rest i have to leave to you to added,sorry buddy, there doesn't seem to be a good file host which can cope with a large file of 326mb.:)

here the list of xpacks need to be added.
All of ennis road.xpacks.dark,light,mid
gb_RBR xpack
ennis extras
haywood.

venue files here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fa073580b45752ff1686155677bb2685bc3d96f12f317a11

• Travlar

Errors with Fast Line

Brendon,

Using the newest beta, all issues I had with the Fast Line being corrupted in tight turns have disappeared.

Thank you.

• Travlar

Road Material Errors

Brendon,

When I want to change the material for a section of track, all works well with the first removal and addition of material.

I can then go to a second section and remove the material for that section. Now when I attempt (for the second time) to add material for the second section, I get an error each subsequent time I make the attempt. I have to exit out and restart to add a new material.

I can't remember the exact wording of the error, but I have gotten the error in some of my own projects. It looks like when I use a connection to a database for a second time and forget to use NEW.

Example: Dim MaterialDBconn as sqlDataAdaptor instead of Dim MaterialDBconn as New sqlDataAdaptor.

I hope this helps and thank you for BTB!

When I want to change the material for a section of track, all works well with the first removal and addition of material.

I can then go to a second section and remove the material for that section. Now when I attempt (for the second time) to add material for the second section, I get an error each subsequent time I make the attempt. I have to exit out and restart to add a new material.

There must be something about the way I do it and the way you do it that are different since I can't replicate this.

Does this happen on a new track with just two Surfaces both setting the Material?

Can you break it down into specific steps? eg.
1. Create a closed track
2. Add a Surface by control clicking on the track in the 3d view.
3. Tick the "Set Material" checkbox.
...etc

Also specify whether you are removing the material first or replacing it and do you right-click in the popup window or on the 3d window.

Thanks.

name of surface materials

It seems no way to read the name of the applied surface material.
It needs if various surface materials are applied to the track, to be able to know the properties (i.e. to change the bumping, changing the "rfactor material name" into the Venue materials)...
Usually I do it after I have changed parts of the surface, but with this version I'm no longer able to find the name of a section of track.
Where do I find the name? Thanks

Attachments

• surface.jpg
    surface.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Travlar

There must be something about the way I do it and the way you do it that are different since I can't replicate this.

Does this happen on a new track with just two Surfaces both setting the Material?

1. Create a closed track
...etc

Also specify whether you are removing the material first or replacing it and do you right-click in the popup window or on the 3d window.

Thanks.

Wow! I just went in and attempted to recreate the issue so I could take a screen shot of the error I was getting and I am unable to recreate the issue. Sorry Brendon. If this happens again, I will make sure to get a screen shot and will write down the exact steps that I took.

(Putting myself in the corner for a time-out!)

I am having problems with tracks exported to GTR Evo locking up during loading. Does anyone else have problems loading Evo tracks? I am using good HAT files. GTL and GTR2 tracks work fine.

Is it happening consistently?

If so, please try and narrow down the problem. Save your project as another copy, then removing sections (eg objects/sobjects/walls) until the project does begin to work. That way you can narrow it down to the offending item.

• Travlar

1. Create a closed track
...etc

Thanks.

Okay. It happened again.

1. I created a closed track.
2. I added an open track for a pit lane.
3. I widened a portion of the pit lane.
4. I then widened a portion of the main track.
5. The pit lane was adjusted below the main track.
6. I then switched to surface properties.
7. The main track's material was removed.
8. I picked an Ennis Mid track and applied. (I didn't like my choice).
9. The material was removed.
10. I clicked add material and got the error that is in the screen shot.

This was done with only one surface for the whole of the main track. I had not added any new sections.

All remove/add clicks were right-clicks in the surface property window. And I did remember wrong, this shows as a SelectedIndexChanged issue.

Thanks Brendon.

Attachments

• BTB_Error.jpg
    BTB_Error.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 239
Terrain disconnects from the road when using surface randomness. After moving outer point they connect again. See video
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrjMHdFpRVw[/ame]

If so, please try and narrow down the problem. Save your project as another copy, then removing sections (eg objects/sobjects/walls) until the project does begin to work. That way you can narrow it down to the offending item.
I have this problem consistently even with a basic loop and just terrain.

I have a log from debug mode if you want me to PM you it.

I tried several tracks and none will load

I made a very simple track and ran it in GTR2, then exported to Evo and copied HAT and locks up. There are no objects, just a track and simple terrain.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmjojnjn2az/Test.rar

I am experiencing exactly the same thing as Travlar is experiencing. I am using 7.9.1.
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)

Here is my full dxdiag
http://project-torque.pastebin.com/ffb8ba11

Here is the error.
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking  
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box. 

************** Exception Text ************** 
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 
   at BobsTrackBuilder.cntlMaterials.lvwItems_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) 
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e) 
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m) 
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m) 
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) 
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) 
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) 

************** Loaded Assemblies ************** 
-- rest not required

• markfaz

Brendon,

I have a similar error when I try to select pre-xPacked track cross-sections.

1-Create a new X-Pack.
2-Make two separate track cross-sections.
3-Zip to BTB
4-Open BTB and make a small closed track.
5-In Track Surface Editor, right-click and choose 'Select Cross Section' and pick the first cross-section from your x-pack.
6-All is well, new cross-section is applied.
7-Repeat step 5 and choose the other cross-section.
8-Error.. 'Object reference not.. '

Seems it always happens on the second choice of cross-section, or in Travlars case, a material. If I save and exit after the first cross-section edit, I can reopen, add another cross-section, and continue without problem.

I have experimented with this behavior extensively, and have noticed it doesn't occur when using the default X-Pack.
I have also tried inserting suspect cross-sections into the default x-pack via xml, with success. Unfortunately at some seemingly random point, the error returns.

I recall Brendon saying that this particular error is the result of corrupted X-Packs..
I'm wondering how that corruption takes place?

AWI editor

When an rfactor AWI file is edited in the AWI editor and then loaded into a GTr2 track the car ends up floating below the track. I set the track height adjust to none before exporting. It seems to work in rfactor ok.I did not try GTL, but i assume the same thing will happen. I have copied of the track(s) here. I will inclued the offending AWI file in the GTR2 directory maned bridgeAIW_DNU.aiw

rFactor Tracks:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=55f6d894fd59833ee62ea590dc5e5dbb466c7312cd2f109fce018c8114394287

GTR2 Tracks:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=55f6d894fd59833ee62ea590dc5e5dbbbaa80e0802f15b855621d66e282a0ee8

Been doing some experimenting with my AIW file, I've found out that a line in the AIW is bollocks.

Below all the Garage and Grid bits and just below the [AUX] entry, there is a [TIMEATTACK] entry. Delete that whole section.
Also, change the top of the aiw under features to this,
[Features]
pitlanes=1
startinggrid=104
pitspots=52
garagespots=3
auxspots=8

Once all done, the track will load fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back