Resource icon

Misc BETA TyreTempMod v.03

Login or Register an account to download this content
Tried Imola at 100%, here are my thoughts.

The harder compounds still overheat way too quickly. I was barely able to overheat the softer tires while going full beans on a quali lap, while the hards were in the red temperature range once I got through the first sector.

The hard compound tires should not go from cool to overheated in the span of 1 corner, and they shouldn't be able to drop back down in temperature that quickly either. Inversely, the softer compounds should not be able to be pushed on for a whole lap and still have temperatures in the low 90s/high 80s Celsius.

Even if you just swapped the values for each compound (i.e. gave the C5 tire the thermal properties of the C1, and vice versa), the temperature values would be great.

OK thanks for feedback. Are you seeing the overheating of hard compounds like others?
I mean yeah, all the tyres did overheat but that's probably due to the first sector of Suzuka being absolutely brutal on the tires anyway(Also where I spun). I didn't notice any issues with it. I'll try the new version maybe tomorrow, right now it's getting late.

Version v0.3? I don't see that at all. Do you run custom setups? What tyre pressures? Tyre pressures and setup have much more effect in mod
I generally run my own setups with the same tire pressures as in the base game. Generally 50% on the fronts and 75-90% of max on the rears. However, I still notice that the harder compounds overheat much easier than the softs. I can push on the soft tires nonstop without getting any overheating, while one sector on the hards and they're cooking.

The grip levels are great, though. Imola at 100% was really interesting, as the C4 and C3 softs and mediums had about the same race pace, while the C2 hards were almost a second a lap slower, so we saw myself and the AI running the softs down to the canvas just to avoid having to run the hards. Really fun strategy battle.

Last edited:
I generally run my own setups with the same tire pressures as in the base game. Generally 50% on the fronts and 75-90% of max on the rears. However, I still notice that the harder compounds overheat much easier than the softs. I can push on the soft tires nonstop without getting any overheating, while one sector on the hards and they're cooking.

The grip levels are great, though. Imola at 100% was really interesting, as the C4 and C3 softs and mediums had about the same race pace, while the C2 hards were almost a second a lap slower, so we saw myself and the AI running the softs down to the canvas just to avoid having to run the hards. Really fun strategy battle.

Interesting I do not see this at all. I can reduce the temps for the harder compounds but I feel then for some they will be stuck stone cold all the time

Interesting I do not see this at all. I can reduce the temps for the harder compounds but I feel then for some they will be stuck stone cold all the time
Try Imola at 100%. You'll see massive overheating, particularly along the final sweeping right hander.

I'm also playing around with the values in my local installation, so if I find something that works, I'll post here.

Try Imola at 100%. You'll see massive overheating, particularly along the final sweeping right hander.

I'm also playing around with the values in my local installation, so if I find something that works, I'll post here.
Just did 10 laps on Imola using hards. default setup. Just went straight out on track in practice session.
No overheating on the whole lap. Actually had issues of front left going cold on the start/finish straight.
Are you using your setups. Can you try exactly the same just using default setups?

I can only think its a mixture of setups and driving style? I run on 90 ai so I am not the quickest so maybe you are pushing the car harder through corners? For reference my fastest lap was 1:20.1 on hards in McClaren
Not saying you are wrong, just its hard to see there is an issue when you cant produce it.
Would be interesting to know if others are having same issue.

Can you download and install the v0.3 version again. just so we can be sure its not an older version. v0.1 & v0.2 did have issues with overheating of harder compounds

Last edited:
Just did 10 laps on Imola using hards. default setup. Just went straight out on track in practice session.
No overheating on the whole lap. Actually had issues of front left going cold on the start/finish straight.
Are you using your setups. Can you try exactly the same just using default setups?

I can only think its a mixture of setups and driving style? I run on 90 ai so I am not the quickest so maybe you are pushing the car harder through corners? For reference my fastest lap was 1:20.1 on hards in McClaren
Not saying you are wrong, just its hard to see there is an issue when you cant produce it.
Would be interesting to know if others are having same issue.

Can you download and install the v0.3 version again. just so we can be sure its not an older version. v0.1 & v0.2 did have issues with overheating of harder compounds
Whoops, sorry, I meant Portimao, not Imola.

Imola is still very hard on the tires in the middle sector, I've found, but to a much lesser degree than before. Portimao is hardest in the final sector. Will test on both with default and my own setups, and will report back on here. For context, I generally race against 101 AI, with Medium TC, racing line, no ABS, and automatic gearbox.

In the Red Bull in default setup. on hards in practice at Portimao, I got a 1:17.8, even with my DRS failing halfway through the lap. I saw overheating in the rears through the 11-12-13 turn complex with no issues keeping the fronts up to temperature.

On my setup on those hards and same fuel load as default (8-9 wings, 82-55 diff, -2.6 front camber, max rear camber, 0.07 front toe, min rear toe, 1-1 suspension, 5-2 ARB, 2-8 ride height, 54% BB, 23.8 front 23.5 rear pressures), I got a 1:17.5. I saw overheating in the rears through the same turn complex, to a slightly worse degree than the default, but not by much. Probably will need to take some pressure out of those. Didn't turn my DRS on at the final sector in order to compare with the prior lap.

Compared to the Default setup, I have more rear camber, less front camber, higher front pressures, and identical rear pressures. One tick more rear wing, and the suspension setup is a bit different as well. All setups were with the default 12.3 laps of fuel on them.

On Portimao, in the default setup Red Bull, I got a 1:18.5 on hards. The right front was cooling down to suboptimal temps over the course of the lap, while the left rear was overheating badly on the final corner.

In my Portimao setup (7-8 wings, 90-54 diff, min front camber, max rear, 0.06 front toe, min rear toe, 1-3 suspension, 1-3 ARB, 2-6 ride height, 56% BB, 23.8 front 23.1 rear pressures) I got a 1:17.7 on hards. The left front overheated slightly, but I was running pretty high front pressures and a stiffer front ARB.

Just to confirm what I was seeing, I ran the above setup on softs, and saw overheating throughout the lap, basically I needed to choose which sectors I was going to push in, and which ones I would save my tires in... just like IRL. Maybe a slight improvement in thermal properties on the softs would help keep parity with the very smooth-driving AI, but all-in-all the tires look excellent now.

So it seems like I must have been using an older version somehow... thought I had installed the new file from here but I must not have. Either way, I'll gladly eat my humble pie and say thermal properties look a lot better now, thanks for all of your work tuning this!

I'll update with some additional feedback as I play. I'm also going to look into the SpinSkiddRate, WorkEnergyRate, RollEnergyRate parameters in the tire config file and see what I can do with those.

Last edited:
yesterday I did another race in Bahrain and what I feared happened, that is, the AI riders stopped to mount the soft tires 2 laps from the end.

Too bad because otherwise the mod is excellent, with 1 or 2 stop strategies that are the same and it is up to the driver to choose whether to do 2 pits or only 1.

I didn't notice any weird overheating or anything. If it weren't for the final pit, it would be perfect for me.

Ah I used the v. 0.3

ok thats rubbish. I need to change the wear rates for those compounds

to be honest I am tempted to go back to the values from the main mod (as I know these work for the ai on all tracks) but with the changes to make the medums and hards used more as a test for v0.4

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Feedback from a 100% race at Monza.

Quali was wet. For the race, everyone bar Ricciardo and Bottas went for the M-H strategy. Ricciardo and Bottas went Soft first, realised it was a mistake and pitted for Mediums at the 12 lap mark and ruined their own races.

Mediums I struggled with and had to pit 4 laps earlier than planned (lap 23 instead of 27). I noticed the tyres start slipping through corners and I was suddenly dropped over a second a lap on my best times. I was the earliest to pit from Mediums. I then ran the Hard from Lap 23 to Lap 53 and it held up the whole time with no drop-off. I was actually still relatively comfortable on it even on the final lap. I checked the timesheets at the end and most set their best lap in the final 5 laps, even though we all pitted somewhere between lap 23-29 for Hards.

I had a fast charging Ricciardo coming back at me on Mediums and I managed to keep him behind me for 8 laps, which allowed my teammate to scamper away and keep his position at the end. It was a great tactical battle and reminiscent of Monza this year, where cars struggled to overtake down into T1 because they couldn't follow closely despite being the better car.

Some points to note:
- My Medium and Hard pace in practice was fine, my Soft pace was pretty atrocious. Monza is not one of my favourite tracks but I was actually lapping a couple of tenths quicker on Mediums than Softs (AI had no problem)
- My Softs and Hards were in the 80s for temp, Mediums were 90s
- The Mediums certainly felt like the optimal tyre, but the Hards were good enough to race on

Did 100% race at US Grand Prix. Everything seemed to work really well, the wear and temps were fine. It did start to rain at around 36 laps or so, but don't really know how it behaved since my car broke down before I had chance to change to inters. Was your other mod, the one that causes breakdowns etc. Was a good race too again and kinda wanted to pull my hair out but then I remembered that's why I installed the mod in the first place lol. So I still have hair.

Anyways this tyre mod seems to work fine, I started on Mediums, on first stop I took mediums aswell and planned on doing 2 stops. Final stint was going to be hards, but I never made it that far. Some AI opted to start on hards, and do 2 stops. 8 out of top 10 cars did Q2 on Softs, so they had to pit early, but was kinda odd to see almost everyone in top 10 start on softs.

last couple of feedbacks seem positive which is good. Looks like maybe the last lap pit problem is only affecting C1 and C2.
Softs to start seems to happen more as more R&D is done. I think the performance gaps between teams gets less so they have to run softs to get in to Q3.

Out of interest what was the cause of the DNF the other mod caused?

Last edited:
MGU-H. I had only used it in 1 race before, so wear was probably not the cause.

Edit. I might run Grand Prix mode later today and try to see if there's last pit stop for me on the last lap, because as I mentioned I don't know if it happened as I DNF'd. COTA atleast in Myteam used C2 to C4.

Last edited:
Actually it may have been underbody, since I did take light damage to it when I took a kerb too aggressively. But the damage was minimal, just a slight color change from green to different green. But after the race my new MGU-H was at 100% damage so that's not very good for my season :( It's the 2nd MGU-H in just 3 races :(

But a very good mod overall! I'll write a review at some point in the right topic. So far I like it! Also this one is so far really good I think! Thanks for making it!

Last edited:
so thoughts on any changes needed to this mod?

Best for 100% only races, but works for 50%?

Gives more realistic stragegy from ai but tyres may last a little long for the 50% races making all of them a 1 stop?

On another note I think I can change the stragegy without changing wear rates (from standard full release version). Would anyone be interested in trying that or happy with wear rates in the beta?

Last edited:
I did another race in bahrain and I confirm that the AI makes a useless stop at the last lap.

If you can solve this problem, that's great for me.

A curiosity even if I think the right topic is the other: the alpha tauri and the mclaren on the straight reached 330 km / h while the ferrari 315 km / h. Isn't this difference a bit exaggerated? I don't remember similar differences in the vanilla version. Is it possibly caused by the mod?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%