Resource icon

Misc BETA TyreTempMod v.03

Login or Register an account to download this content
so thoughts on any changes needed to this mod?

Best for 100% only races, but works for 50%?

Gives more realistic stragegy from ai but tyres may last a little long for the 50% races making all of them a 1 stop?

On another note I think I can change the stragegy without changing wear rates (from standard full release version). Would anyone be interested in trying that or happy with wear rates in the beta?
Hi Andy

I did quali at Sochi on Sunday but haven't had time to run the race yet. Did notice something peculiar:

Q1 - everyone runs softs. The usual backmarkers fall out (Haas x2, Williams x2, Alfa Romeo x1).
Q2 - The usual Top 10 run mediums. The bottom 5 (Alpine x2, Aston Martin x2, Alfa Romeo x1) all run Softs.

As expected, there is a large-ish gap between bottom 5 (on softs) and top 10 (on mediums). I was provisional 8th, 0.7 seconds quicker than 11th and quite comfortable that they would not find that speed to put me into the drop zone.

4 minutes left of the session, and everyone except the Red Bulls (1 and 2) and me (8th) head to the track....now using Softs. So everyone gets quicker, I drop to 10th (but still comfortably 0.4 seconds faster than 11th) and 11-15 improve but don't break into the Top 10.

Which now means 7 of the top 10 are starting on the Soft tyre. I really don't understand why they did that, when both Mercs were over 1 second clear of the drop zone.

Hi Andy

I did quali at Sochi on Sunday but haven't had time to run the race yet. Did notice something peculiar:

Q1 - everyone runs softs. The usual backmarkers fall out (Haas x2, Williams x2, Alfa Romeo x1).
Q2 - The usual Top 10 run mediums. The bottom 5 (Alpine x2, Aston Martin x2, Alfa Romeo x1) all run Softs.

As expected, there is a large-ish gap between bottom 5 (on softs) and top 10 (on mediums). I was provisional 8th, 0.7 seconds quicker than 11th and quite comfortable that they would not find that speed to put me into the drop zone.

4 minutes left of the session, and everyone except the Red Bulls (1 and 2) and me (8th) head to the track....now using Softs. So everyone gets quicker, I drop to 10th (but still comfortably 0.4 seconds faster than 11th) and 11-15 improve but don't break into the Top 10.

Which now means 7 of the top 10 are starting on the Soft tyre. I really don't understand why they did that, when both Mercs were over 1 second clear of the drop zone.

Yep I agree to this issue. This is an ai issue that codemasters need to fix. Its like something triggers one to run softs and so then all must follow. I think its to stop front runners from always dropping out in Q2 but they are clearly safe. Hopefully they fix it in next game but have been saying that for few years now

I did another race in bahrain and I confirm that the AI makes a useless stop at the last lap.

If you can solve this problem, that's great for me.

A curiosity even if I think the right topic is the other: the alpha tauri and the mclaren on the straight reached 330 km / h while the ferrari 315 km / h. Isn't this difference a bit exaggerated? I don't remember similar differences in the vanilla version. Is it possibly caused by the mod?
Were all the ai on C1 who did the last lap pit. If so I can fix this fairly quickly.

The top speed is interesting one. Are you in a career.? It could be the R&D is giving you a boost, have you done alot of engine upgrades? It might be they havent yet?
The mod doesnt touch engine performance but does effect the amount of drive a tyre will give out of a corner. So it may effect top speed slighly on shorter straights but on longer straights all cars should reach top speed for the setup/car/engine

Were all the ai on C1 who did the last lap pit. If so I can fix this fairly quickly.

The top speed is interesting one. Are you in a career.? It could be the R&D is giving you a boost, have you done alot of engine upgrades? It might be they havent yet?
The mod doesnt touch engine performance but does effect the amount of drive a tyre will give out of a corner. So it may effect top speed slighly on shorter straights but on longer straights all cars should reach top speed for the setup/car/engine
no indeed I really started a new career so it is the first race of the season.

I thought I had installed some graphic mods for the alpha tauri and then replaced the files of your mod, but the game is basic, updated to the latest version and with only your 2 mods installed (and the helmet but it doesn't center nothing).

Yep I agree to this issue. This is an ai issue that codemasters need to fix. Its like something triggers one to run softs and so then all must follow. I think its to stop front runners from always dropping out in Q2 but they are clearly safe. Hopefully they fix it in next game but have been saying that for few years now
Ok thanks for confirming.

One other interesting note - I noticed my Softs were not getting up to mid / high 90s by the start of the quali lap, despite the psis all being maxed out.

So I did a Hamilton and put an extra lap of fuel in the car. The first quali lap was good but not great, and pushing for an extra lap heated the tyres up nicely. It meant my second (proper) quali lap was 0.7 seconds faster and saw me fly up the grid.

so, yesterday i competed in imola: unfortunately i didn't finish the race due to a damage to the fund i had to retire. As long as I stayed on the track, everything seemed to be regular: one-stop strategy on paper faster than the two-stop one and many riders starting with the averages.

However, I confirm that the alpha tauri travel on average 10/15 km / h faster than all the others. Gasly who, due to a penalty, started 18th in the first laps, overtook everyone with an embarrassing ease. I honestly don't think this is normal.

Hi Andy

Hi Andy

I managed to do the Sochi race yesterday and this is what happened:

Everyone got off the line as expected. The Soft runners (85% of the field) all pitted between lap 8-12. The Medium runners pitted somewhere between 13-18. I went all the way up to 25 on my mediums, and my lap times were still consistent.

The undercut was really strong. 1) Perez 2) Verstappen 3) Gasly ended up being 1) Gasly 2) Verstappen 3) Perez after the first pits as they pitted in this order, Gasly first and Perez last.

They all put Hards on, which meant they needed to run 40-45 laps on the Hards. I put the Hards on Lap 25 and I was now 1 second a lap faster than everyone until...my engine blew on Lap 30.

I had a look at the race director at the end of the race and the front runners times had dropped from 1.37s to 1.54s in the final 5 or so laps. There was a 60% chance of rain but no rain when we went to the podium celebrations.

So I'm not sure if this means they all sacrificed lap time to avoid a second pit, or if the rain did fall somewhat. Unfortunately Codies don't let you fast forward annoyingly, so I can't confirm what actually happened. Certainly if the tyres did fall off a cliff, then I lost a big opportunity to make up places.

Hi Andy

I managed to do the Sochi race yesterday and this is what happened:

Everyone got off the line as expected. The Soft runners (85% of the field) all pitted between lap 8-12. The Medium runners pitted somewhere between 13-18. I went all the way up to 25 on my mediums, and my lap times were still consistent.

The undercut was really strong. 1) Perez 2) Verstappen 3) Gasly ended up being 1) Gasly 2) Verstappen 3) Perez after the first pits as they pitted in this order, Gasly first and Perez last.

They all put Hards on, which meant they needed to run 40-45 laps on the Hards. I put the Hards on Lap 25 and I was now 1 second a lap faster than everyone until...my engine blew on Lap 30.

I had a look at the race director at the end of the race and the front runners times had dropped from 1.37s to 1.54s in the final 5 or so laps. There was a 60% chance of rain but no rain when we went to the podium celebrations.

So I'm not sure if this means they all sacrificed lap time to avoid a second pit, or if the rain did fall somewhat. Unfortunately Codies don't let you fast forward annoyingly, so I can't confirm what actually happened. Certainly if the tyres did fall off a cliff, then I lost a big opportunity to make up places.

Hi nab

thanks for the feedback, yeah unfortunately as soon as you retire everything is simulated so you cant really draw any conclusions from it. Its the same if you retire in the garage in practice or qualifying or if you quick drive out or into garage for fast lap. The end of the qualifying is simulated and you can get some funny results

Also with weather at end of race, I have also noticed this. I think actually the end of race weather is always the same as the start for some weird reason

Last edited:
so, yesterday i competed in imola: unfortunately i didn't finish the race due to a damage to the fund i had to retire. As long as I stayed on the track, everything seemed to be regular: one-stop strategy on paper faster than the two-stop one and many riders starting with the averages.

However, I confirm that the alpha tauri travel on average 10/15 km / h faster than all the others. Gasly who, due to a penalty, started 18th in the first laps, overtook everyone with an embarrassing ease. I honestly don't think this is normal.

hmm not sure, is this since the recent patch came out? I have not had chance to check the files were updated. I thought it was just a F2 update to be honest

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a full race at Mexico. Gasly was P3 for a long time in the race, somehow he was insanely fast. Also only 2 drivers from top 10 started on Mediums, the rest on Softs which messed up their races. I started on Hards, and I was 12th on the grid. After about 14 or 16 laps in, I see Bottas in my rear view on fresh Mediums. I actually held him up and led the race for a good chunk of the race with a lower midfield MyTeam car because everyone had pitted. (Atleast that's realistic if we go by the past season lol)

So far my biggest issue is with the first 10 always going for softs in Q2, and thus messing up their strategies. I finished the race 4th. Fourth, in a car where I should struggle to make P10. And no, difficulty was not the issue, I pretty much made it with strategy.

Wear rates were good, I opted to go for 2 stops, H/M/M. (For some reason the game wanted me to do 9 lap second stint on soft tyres but I changed it to Medium). On paper 1 stop would've been faster by 20 seconds, but with the wear I doubt that. It projected 60-65% wear. Forgot tho take screenshot of the results screen though, so I can't verify any times. Most AI did 2 stops as well, but I think some did 3(Not sure if all of them changed front wing, atleast 2 did). Some even did 1 stop but can't remember how that went.

Last edited:
I did imola with variable weather.
it was a bit of a mess because the AI is a bit stupid and it took longer than expected to switch from wet to intermediate tires (I did it a few laps before and I was lapping faster than everyone else. SC anyone would have mounted the intermediates as the weather was improving).

This tyre mod adds so much more depth to the game, I really can't stress how much it adds to strategy element of going long, avoiding undercuts, holding cars up, suffering stints on the worse compound etc.

I'd add that the mod makes the pit strategy and expected tyre life screens more or less redundant. Most recent example - Bahrain. My practice sims showed I would have 40% wear on the Hards after 34 laps - the pit strategy assumed the tyre life would be 39 laps. Lo and behold, I did a 44 lap stint on the Hards.

Only thing I have encountered is that a 2-lap quali stint is faster than a 1-lap quali stint, even with PSIs maxed out. It seems the tyres need that extra lap of being pushed to get into an optimum temp - most times, my second lap is a good 0.4 - 0.7 seconds / lap faster.

Sorry for delay getting back, i am in the process of changing jobs so life a little busy at the moment.

Thanks for all the feedback, it seems most people finding the mod is working ok apart from the royal pain in the arse issue of the last lap pit stop. I will try find some time next week to make some changes. In regards to going forward I think if everyone is happy with current condition we are close to leaving the 2021 game and wait and see what happens when codemasters release F1 2022?

Thanks all again for your help

NO. Please don't leave this game and mod yet. I for one cannot afford a new F1 game, and it's made by EA so it's destined to be shite. Atleast this one was made primarily by Codemasters so it didn't suck, but the next one is going to be EA at the helm so count me out.

Imma stay with 2021 and I hope you do too.

Last edited:
NO. Please don't leave this game and mod yet. I for one cannot afford a new F1 game, and it's made by EA so it's destined to be shite. Atleast this one was made primarily by Codemasters so it didn't suck, but the next one is going to be EA at the helm so count me out.

Imma stay with 2021 and I hope you do too.
As always it will depend on the next game to which gets the focus. With EA and new tyres for 2022 its anyones guess. The latest I am reading is the new tyres will be more stable and can be pushed harder for longer. They kind of sound like how codemasters have modelled the tyres for the last 5 years (incorrectly)

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Something I've noticed with the mod is that I cannot get my quali times near to the front of the pack in Q1 and Q2. Sometimes I can get it right by Q3 but it's a bit of a lottery.

P1-3 is perfectly fine, my stints are where I expect them to be and the car feels comfortable; I never use ERS in practice. Then I get into quali and with the use of ERS, I'll probably shave anywhere between 0.5-1 second off my time. All other cars are taking 1.5-2 seconds off theirs and suddenly I'm way down the field.

My psis are almost fully maxed out, so temps are not a problem. I even increase diff by up to 20%, still no change.

Then I get into the race and I'm flying, cutting through the field. My AI difficulty is set as +1 / -1 based on what difficulty I used for the same race the prior season, so for example I am not using 80 at every track.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%