Best Ultrawide Monitor for a Single Monitor Setup

Hello Guys!

I've pulled the trigger on a full GT1 EVO cockpit from Sim-Lab.
For various reasons I went for a Single Monitor setup and I'm currently in a hurry to buy one untill Black Friday sales are still ongoing.
The sweet spot would be an ultra-wide and curved. Size around 32".
My PC has a nVidia GTX 980.

Thanks in advance, cheers!

So, maybe you already pulled the trigger by now?

I’ve got a pretty similar setup - also ordered the EVO and just got a Samsung super ultrawide 32:9 monitor. Now these are quite expensive still at around 800 £€$ but if it does fit your space/budget you may want to consider it. It gives you the horizontal space of 2x 27”. It’s much more immersive compared to a single - you can see a lot more apexes with the increased fov.

Upvote 0
I just jumped on the ultra wide wagon and waiting now for the dell Alienware 1440p gsync to arrive in about 3 weeks.
I hope it will be great and not a faulty one. Ips is a lottery apperently :(

If you want fine details to be displayed nicely, a bit less aliasing etc I'd go with 1440p but I think 1080p would be absolutely fine too for simracing only!
I'm going from 16:9, 27" 1080p to 1440p now because I do a lot of office stuff at my PC. Text is just too blurry for me now.

Anyway, I'd absolutely recommend going with gsync if you got the budget for it!
I was able to try the Asus pg278qr for 2 weeks a while ago and gsync really blew me away!
50 fps? As good as 60 fps vsync on my current monitor!

70 fps? Already a bit more smoothness on shaky kerbs etc!

100 fps? Oh yeah that's buttersmooth now!

Did an rF2 club race here at RD with it and the most important thing was that I could limit the fps to something around 75 and the drops to sub 50 fps at the formation lap or during the pitstop in the night lighting didn't bother me at all!
Without vsync everything just stutters for me. Even with a 144 Hz monitor and no matter the fps. Above 200 it becomes smooth again but otherwise I need vsync!
Problem with vsync is that it gets hiccups! Race start is stuttering, night transitions are stuttering etc etc.
With gsync you still see stuttering if the fps drop from say 100 to 70 but if they slowly decrease or increase it's barely bothering!
And the great thing is that you can just limit the fps at something stable and it will be fine. A few drops? No problem!

Everything apart from the standard vsync has problems. Fast sync stutters every now and then, adaptive vsync gives tearing and you can not do the input lag trick (limit at 59.97 fps for example with 60.0 fps vsync active) and no sync just stutters a lot, plus tearing.
Gsync solves this all. I tested it: it's awesome!

I also saw freesync at a friend's and it's as awesome as gsync!
Freesync Monitors generally have a higher input lag but I didn't feel that! It's the signal processing of the monitor internals. About 11ms with most Freesync and 3ms with gsync (processing module is the same in all gsync monitors!). This has nothing to do with how fast the pixels respond though!

That said: if you are fine without vsync, with the input lag of vsync or the other vsync options are working for you: you don't need gsync. If you're bothered with anything I said, gsync will be awesome! :)

Is there a 32:9 gsync model yet?

About gpu power: I have a gtx 1070. 2560x1440 was stressing it but reducing some settings did the job. 3440x1440 will be on the limit but I prefer resolution over eye candy.
2560x1080 shouldn't be a problem, especially with gsync where you can limit the fps at whatever value and it will look good! Below 50 will feel slow though ofc as it's just low fps then! It won't stutter, it will more... "feel like pudding" :p

I hope my input helps a little! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Samsung Ultrawide would be perfect but I fear my GTX 980 won't handle the increased resolution.

Do not get this. You have an NVIDIA card, and this monitor does not have G-Sync. You will have to deal with tearing, or input lag & stutter, depending on whether you have V-Sync on or off. Either way, it's a horrible compromise since we have adaptive sync technology available to us. It also only has a 1080 vertical resolution which is not acceptable for a monitor that is this size.

The best single monitor you can buy for sim racing today, when you have an NVIDIA card, is either the AOC AGON AG35UCG6 or the Acer Predator Z35P bmiphz. These are the only two monitors on the market that are: 35", 3440x1440, 120Hz, and G-Sync. The Dell/Alienware that RasmusP mentioned is almost identical except it's only 34".

Your 980 will be able to handle this resolution/refresh rate. If you're racing in iRacing, you can max everything. If you're racing in AC, you might have to turn down a few settings, but not significantly.

On the horizon is the ASUS PG35VQ, which can top this because it has the same specs except a 200Hz refresh rate and HDR.

Beyond that, 29:9 or 32:9 monitors will be the next big thing, but they are not there for sim racing yet. Either the resolution, refresh rate, or adaptive sync technology is lacking on them. 32:9, 42" 5120x2160, 100Hz+ & G-Sync or FreeSync will be where sim racers should start to pay attention, but I expect that to be at least a year away.

Upvote 0
On the horizon is the ASUS PG35VQ, which can top this because it has the same specs except a 200Hz refresh rate and HDR.
I agree with your post! Additionally I find this a bit funny. When you look around for ultra wides you'll find posts from mid 2017 telling people to wait for the new 200Hz panels that will come soon.
It seems the manufacturers have hit some serious problems along the way :(

Upvote 0
When you look around for ultra wides you'll find posts from mid 2017 telling people to wait for the new 200Hz panels that will come soon.
It seems the manufacturers have hit some serious problems along the way :(

Either that or they realize any refresh rate above 120 Hz is just a marketing gimmick and have chosen not to invest in diminishing returns because they know their customers are more savvy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing