Best Single Screen Monitor under $600 (and mounting questions)?

My new P1-X arrived the other day! I had hoped to only use VR in the cockpit, but my initial experience with VR has been pretty disappointing (see my Valve Index thread), so now deciding to return the Index and get the G2 next year once it sorts out, and use the money saved to get a single screen monitor (can't use triple screens due to space and money).

I am trying to figure out which single screen monitor to get in the $400-600 range. Some questions around using a single monitor:

1) What single screen monitor in that price range would you choose? I had it narrowed down to the following monitors:

a) Ben-Q EX3203R ($400) (32 inch curved 144hz and 2K)
b) Ben-Q EX3501R ($550) (35 inch curved 100hz and 2K)

Would you spend an extra $150 for the 35 inch, even though it is only 100hz instead of 144hz for the 32 inch?

2) I wanted to get the LG 32GK650F (32 inch 144hz and 2K), but its connections come out what appears to be directly underneath where the horizontal bar will be when mounted to Simlab's single monitor integrated mount. From looking at the single monitor integrated mount, i will need the Display port, etc connections to the monitor to be not right in the middle of the back of the monitor (the Ben-Q monitors have their connections come out the bottom of the monitor, so that will work great).

3) Within my budget, should i be looking at another monitor not listed above to use a single monitor?

4) I am wanting to get a butt kicker later. If i use the Simlab integrated monitor mount that attaches the monitor directly to the P1-X, will the butt kicker cause the monitor to shake/rattle, etc? I don't really have room to use the floor standing monitor stand. However, should i for sure stick with the floor standing (not attached to the rig) stand if i am later adding a butt kicker?

5) If i end up with the Ben-Q monitor, both of them seem to need a special VESA attachment. Although, they are supposed to work without a special attachment if the VESA pattern is 100x100mm. Will the Ben-Q monitor work with the Simlab integrated monitor mount, or do i need to also get a $30 special VESA adaptor thing that Ben-Q sells to make it work with the integrated monitor mount? Has anyone else used the Ben-Q monitors? Is this an issue? See the links below:

Thanks!
Randy
:)

• Deleted member 197115

It would be great if we could all buy 49" Samsung monitors, but we have to work within a budget. However, VIOTEK, AOC, MSI, etc. make fine monitors and are somewhat proven brands at this point.
It's all fine if you are comfortable with that, I have few years old 42" Wasabi Mango still going strong, bet nobody ever heard of that brand.
It's just a nomination for a Best Gaming Monitor is a bit of a stretch, IMO, best Budget, may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
It's all fine if you are comfortable with that, I have few years old 42" Wasabi Mango still going strong, bet nobody ever heard of that brand.
It's just a nomination for a Best Gaming Monitor is a bit of a stretch, IMO, best Budget, may be.
This got me to thinking. I, and some older people here, may remember when Samsung was that budget brand that people were taking a chance on. No one had ever heard of them. There was also this brand LG that people liked there stuff when it came out. Little did they know was low rated Lucky Goldstar that was attempting to rebrand itself. Those higher end brands at the time are all but gone now. Makes you think how the companies at the top may not always remain there.

Edit: Here in the US, not sure elsewhere, there was a budget brand called Vizio. They are now one of the higher rated TVs you can buy.

Example:

Best TV For HDR: Vizio P Series Quantum X 2020

Example:

"The Vizio P Series Quantum X 2020 is a great 4k TV that delivers stunning picture quality. "

Who knows, maybe " Wasabi Mango " will be the next Samsung ;).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

This got me to thinking. I, and some older people here, may remember when Samsung was that budget brand that people were taking a chance on. No one had ever heard of them. There was also this brand LG that people liked there stuff when it came out. Little did they know was low rated Lucky Goldstar that was attempting to rebrand itself. Those higher end brands at the time are all but gone now. Makes you think how the companies at the top may not always remain there.

Edit: Here in the US, not sure elsewhere, there was a budget brand called Vizio. They are now one of the higher rated TVs you can buy.

Example:

Best TV For HDR: Vizio P Series Quantum X 2020

Example:

"The Vizio P Series Quantum X 2020 is a great 4k TV that delivers stunning picture quality. "

Who knows, maybe " Wasabi Mango " will be the next Samsung ;).
Samsung QLED and LG OLED are the best rated TVs in US, not Vizio, which is just a budget entry into UHD realm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Samsung QLED and LG OLED are the best rated TVs in US, not Vizio, which is just a budget entry into UHD realm.

Maybe you misunderstood what I said. I never said Vizio was the best. Although they are very close to the top as I have shown in my links. My point was that at one time Vizio was known as just a "budget" brand (Just like Samsung was at one time. Older people will probably remember this). They (Vizio) are no longer that. They make high end TVs these days with very good rating. Yes, they still make a basic series just like Samsung and LG do, but they have made some premium products for a while now.

Just like Samsung, LG, and more recently Vizio, some of the "no name" brands end up being well known brands, and can be fantastic monitors (or TVs).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi @Rainman2020

I picked up this last week and have been loving it : AOC CU34G2/BK 34" UWQHD FREESYNC 100HZ CURVED GAMING MONITOR

Should be able to find it at around $500

I went for 100hz as I have never had a monitor over 60hz so wasn't sure if it was worth more to get 144Hz.

Anyway it's been a great addition to my rig. Was thinking about maybe going triple but as it's a VA panel I'm not sure, as the viewing angle is spot on when using one right in front of me but I'm thinking something IPS based would be better for tipples but then then cost is a killer.

Over all really good bank for the buck, nice build quality no dead pixels and it's got a load of USB ports on it which is great as I plugged my wheel and pedals into it so I just have two cables (1usb 1 hdmi) coming of the rig to the PC now :)

I even used it's own stand as part of my rig setup as I could get the screen closer to my face using it rather than the Sim Lab GT1-EVO mount. This had the added benefit of being able to movie it up and down and swivel it, which is great for getting it out of the way when running cables etc.

20201029_172008.jpg
20201029_172025.jpg
20201029_172039.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 204 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.5%
  • < 3 years