Best Single Screen Monitor under $600 (and mounting questions)?

My new P1-X arrived the other day! I had hoped to only use VR in the cockpit, but my initial experience with VR has been pretty disappointing (see my Valve Index thread), so now deciding to return the Index and get the G2 next year once it sorts out, and use the money saved to get a single screen monitor (can't use triple screens due to space and money).

I am trying to figure out which single screen monitor to get in the $400-600 range. Some questions around using a single monitor:

1) What single screen monitor in that price range would you choose? I had it narrowed down to the following monitors:

a) Ben-Q EX3203R ($400) (32 inch curved 144hz and 2K)
b) Ben-Q EX3501R ($550) (35 inch curved 100hz and 2K)

Would you spend an extra $150 for the 35 inch, even though it is only 100hz instead of 144hz for the 32 inch?

2) I wanted to get the LG 32GK650F (32 inch 144hz and 2K), but its connections come out what appears to be directly underneath where the horizontal bar will be when mounted to Simlab's single monitor integrated mount. From looking at the single monitor integrated mount, i will need the Display port, etc connections to the monitor to be not right in the middle of the back of the monitor (the Ben-Q monitors have their connections come out the bottom of the monitor, so that will work great).

3) Within my budget, should i be looking at another monitor not listed above to use a single monitor?

4) I am wanting to get a butt kicker later. If i use the Simlab integrated monitor mount that attaches the monitor directly to the P1-X, will the butt kicker cause the monitor to shake/rattle, etc? I don't really have room to use the floor standing monitor stand. However, should i for sure stick with the floor standing (not attached to the rig) stand if i am later adding a butt kicker?

5) If i end up with the Ben-Q monitor, both of them seem to need a special VESA attachment. Although, they are supposed to work without a special attachment if the VESA pattern is 100x100mm. Will the Ben-Q monitor work with the Simlab integrated monitor mount, or do i need to also get a $30 special VESA adaptor thing that Ben-Q sells to make it work with the integrated monitor mount? Has anyone else used the Ben-Q monitors? Is this an issue? See the links below:

Thanks!
Randy
:)

The best monitor under $600?
That would be Reverb G2. :sneaky:

But if VR is not your thing, there was good, info filled discussion recently, just read it through.

Planning on getting a G2 in a few months, but also want a single monitor. Thanks for the other discussion link.

What does everyone think of the AOC 34 inch ultrawide? Note that i do need G-sync and budget is about $500

https://www.displayninja.com/aoc-cu34g2x-review/

Randy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Also, will a butt kicker mounted to the rig later on shake around my monitor if i use an integrated monitor mount from Sim-lab?
P1X is a pretty heavy rig to be shaken easily, reason bolting transducers directly to profile yields just noise.
Bolting to the seat or using cantilever plates like the ones sim-lab sells is usually recommended.

Upvote 0
I personally own the Ben-Q EX3501R, unfortunately I was unable to get the Ben-Q adapter but was able to retro fit with a cheap vesa plate off amazon to work with my wall mount. What GPU are you running? 1440p at 100hz is difficult for my 1070, at least on AC. Overall I love the monitor and would recommend!

Upvote 0
I personally own the Ben-Q EX3501R, unfortunately I was unable to get the Ben-Q adapter but was able to retro fit with a cheap vesa plate off amazon to work with my wall mount. What GPU are you running? 1440p at 100hz is difficult for my 1070, at least on AC. Overall I love the monitor and would recommend!
Also forgot to mention the monitor is G-sync compatible*

Upvote 0

I am running a 10 gen Intel processor and 2080 Super and 16 GB DDR4. I would think that that will blow away any single screen monitor i throw at it.

Upvote 0
P1X is a pretty heavy rig to be shaken easily, reason bolting transducers directly to profile yields just noise.
Bolting to the seat or using cantilever plates like the ones sim-lab sells is usually recommended.

I was going to get this butt kicker plate from Sim-lab (it is the only butt kicker accessory that they sell). It only works with the Butt Kicker mini-LFE though. Is this what you were talking about in your cantilever plate comment? Again, concerned about the butt kicker shaking the monitor if i am using the integrated monitor mount and attaching the monitor directly to the P1-X

Randy

Upvote 0
Planning on getting a G2 in a few months, but also want a single monitor. Thanks for the other discussion link.

What does everyone think of the AOC 34 inch ultrawide? Note that i do need G-sync and budget is about $500

https://www.displayninja.com/aoc-cu34g2x-review/

Randy

No comments on the AOC 34 and 35 inch monitors? (see above for the one i am zeroed in on).
Need to do more research on whether it works well with G-sync though given the 2080 Super.

Upvote 0
This monitor is IPS rathan than VA like the AOC monitor, and is the top ultrawide in Rtings.com's list...
It is flat, not curved, but i like flat (although that may not work really well in a ultrawide, hmmm), and it is IPS and only $450 at Microcenter near me. The reviews say it works great with G-sync. What do yall think?

Randy

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I was going to get this butt kicker plate from Sim-lab (it is the only butt kicker accessory that they sell). It only works with the Butt Kicker mini-LFE though. Is this what you were talking about in your cantilever plate comment? Again, concerned about the butt kicker shaking the monitor if i am using the integrated monitor mount and attaching the monitor directly to the P1-X

Randy
Yes, this is the one. You need to do more research on transducer mounting options and their operating principles. Mounting to the solid rig will give you very little vibration just some buzz and piston clank. The mounting surface should have some flex.
The most common and recommended approach is mounting to the seat and optionally putting seat on isolators. That should minimize transfer of the vibration to the rig chassis.

Upvote 0
Question on the Acer XV340CKP, which is a FLAT screen ultrawide 34 inch.

I normally like only flat screens for my normal computer monitor, but was thinking that for a sim racing only monitor that is also ultrawide 34 inches, that curved would be a better field of view and maybe more immersive.

I want to get the Acer flat screen, but will a flat screen be notably worse for a dedicated sim racing 34 inch ultrawide vs a curved 34 inch ultrawide?

Thanks
Randy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On the budget side, and seem to be high rated.

Sceptre 35" 100Hz - $380

Viotek 34" 144 - $400

I have this one, and like it.

Viotek 34" 100 - $350

Hmmm, noticing that the Viotek GNV34DBE is Tom's Hardware's 'Best Curved Gaming Monitor', and only $400. They say it has great response times and a great picture with no tearing, and it is supposed to work happily with G-sync.

Tshrimp, does that sound right, given that you own one? Will the GNV34DBE's 100x100mm VESA fit the Simlab monitor mount without any issues? Also, It looks like from their website that the connections are in the bottom part of the monitor, so monitor mount's horizontal bar will not block the connections to the monitor, right?

I think i have found my monitor, although a little disconcerting that Rtings.com hasn't reviewed it at all.

Randy

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If you are comfortable with all these no name brands.
Best Curved Gaming Monitor, right, thank you for your sponsorship. :whistling:

Upvote 0
Hmmm, noticing that the Viotek GNV34DBE is Tom's Hardware's 'Best Curved Gaming Monitor', and only $400. They say it has great response times and a great picture with no tearing, and it is supposed to work happily with G-sync.

Tshrimp, does that sound right, given that you own one? Will the GNV34DBE's 100x100mm VESA fit the Simlab monitor mount without any issues? Also, It looks like from their website that the connections are in the bottom part of the monitor, so monitor mount's horizontal bar will not block the connections to the monitor, right?

I think i have found my monitor, although a little disconcerting that Rtings.com hasn't reviewed it at all.

Randy
I actually have the "GNV34DB" (Non E). I was actually going to get the GNV34DBE, but they were sold out at the time, and I had some points at Best Buy making the non E only $320. Looking at the picture the controls seem to be in the same place. For VESA mine is only 75x75, but the specs show the GNV34DBE can support both. I too have mine connected to a horizontal bar, and it is very easy to access the controls. One thing I do like about the menu is you can move it anywhere on the monitor, so if you are making color adjustments the menu isn't in the way of what you are using as your focal point.

1603378493758.png

Here is my quick review of the GNV34DB (Non E)
1. Display looks fantastic (I own two 34" curved displays). Better than my 4k IPS that sits next to it.
2. No dead pixels
3. Menu is easy. However, no monitor menu is "good".
4. Has Freesync, and do not notice any tearing. However, I am currently running a 5700xt. (Darn 3080 basically don't exist :()
5. The curve is fantastic. Slightly more aggressive than my other 34". BTW...I wasn't sure if I would like curved monitors. Not sure I would ever go back to straight.
6. The colors are fantastic. Keep in mind I have it next to my 4K IPS, and colors are just as good to me, and the black levels are far better.
7. I emailed support with a question on FPS range there was for Freesync, and they emailed me back quickly and with the answer I was looking for.
8. Feels solid
9. 3 year warranty.
10. zero-tolerance dead pixel policy
11. American company located in Southbend, IN - I know the panels are probably not made in the US, but nice to have a "local" company.

Negatives:
1. Colors out of the box were not stellar (As with most monitors). Somewhat on the red side. However, I use a colorimeter with Dispay cal for all my monitor calibrations, and dialed in very good colors.
2. Stand is actually good, but not adjustable as to be expected at this price point.

The nice thing is, if you buy from Best Buy or Amazon and you don't like it, returns are typically easy. I wasn't sure what to expect as I had heard of VIOTEK, but never owned anything from them. I am happier than I expected, and I am very picky.

I have attached some pictures of my rig. The full picture of my rig is kind of skewed due to the angle, but it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• 2020-10-22_10-14-49_641.jpeg
    2020-10-22_10-14-49_641.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 2020-10-22_10-15-39_767.jpeg
    2020-10-22_10-15-39_767.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 2020-10-22_10-17-00_595.jpeg
    2020-10-22_10-17-00_595.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 0