Best settings for GTX 1080 and T300

About to give rf2 and some of (apparently) wonderful mods for it another try. Need a fanboy/enthusiast/super-fan to share their optimal video and ffb settings.

I play in 1080p and have an i3 8350K-GTX 1080 and my wheel is a T300. Please share the settings that will get this game to look visually as close to AC as possible along with the FFB settings that will show off the game that many claim has the best physics/ffb available.

Will be spending most of my time in the Cobra and Corvettes at Lime Rock, but will also give all the newest versions of the best free mods a drive also.

I adapted my graphic settings with the following goals :

1. Really good performance, and at least 60 AVERAGE FPS in the worst game circumstances :
rain/sunrise-sunset-night-low sun racing conditions, Sebring 12H, 61 AI [max AI on Sebring]).
2. The most beautiful graphic settings possible when it is not raining and the road is dry:
(Graphical ingame and post-process settings + Nvidia inspector graphical settings)
3. Keep a good graphic quality in the rain and on wet roads very good, but make two compromises to keep extremely good settings in all conditions except rain, these settings are also beneficial for the graphics in the rain.
4. To avoid unpleasant surprises when driving, "a lot" of AI visible.

TEST (done 3 times to be sure):

- Sebring 12H
- 61 AI
- Grid position: 45
- 8:00 AM ---> ~11: 00, time scale x5
- My car: Mclaren GT3, other cars: S397 GTE and 397 GT3
- Mostly cloudy and 100% rain
- Important : during the whole test, I always positioned my car in the middle of a group of cars, therefore in the worst performance conditions.

NVIDIA INSPECTOR GRAPHICS SETTINGS:

- Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1 (low input lag)
- AA: x2 Multisampling associated with the very powerful AA x2 Sparse Grid Supersampling (Enhance the application setting): it is thanks to that that the image is always beautiful = important.
- Anisotropic filter optimization: OFF
- Trilinear optimization: OFF
- Texture filtering: HIGH QUALITY (very important for global visual quality)

INGAME GRAPHICS SETTINGS:

- Post-Process: ULTRA
- Full HD
- AA: forced by nvidia inspector
- FullScreen mode

- visible AI: 12
- AUTO FPS: 60 (really help)
- Mirrors: ON + 1 virtual rearview
- FOV: 47

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3phb8axhehk35r2/ingame rF2 settings.PNG?dl=0
ingame%20rF2%20settings.PNG

- ***IMPORTANT, THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS THAT I LOWERED:***
Opponent: medium, Soft Particles: low, rain: medium

GTX 1080 OVERCLOCKING

Allowing to win about 5.5% of FPS.

RESULT OF THE TEST (3 times the same test):

1. A good performance even in difficult race conditions, and perfect in all other race conditions.
- AVERAGE FPS after 30 minutes: 64-67 (according to the 3 tests carried out).
- MINIMUM FPS: 44-45
- MAX FPS: 94-96.
2. Excellent image quality in all circumstances (AA x2 sparse grid, etc.)
3. Only in the rain rF2 does not have ultra graphics.
During wet and rainy conditions, the loss in visual quality is actually acceptable, because the difference is not very visible when driving.

I strongly recommend these settings to owners of GTX 1070/1070 ti/1080/1080 ti and people who have a single Full HD screen.
Everything in these settings to its importance.

I propose my settings for the T300, A COMPROMISE BETWEEN GOOD SENSATIONS AND LOW CLIPPING :

PROFILER THRUSTMASTER
- Overall forces = 100%
- Contant and Periodic = 100%
- Spring and Damper = 0%

INGAME
- Filter = 0 (OFF)
- Vehicle set = yes
- FFB MULTI FOR 99% of the cars = 0.85 (For some rather rare cars it will be necessary to lower the value. 0.85 is suitable for 99% of cars. By opening the "All vehicles" file, using the "replace by" function, you can do it for all cars at one time.)
- FFB Min Torque : 3.7% (in the controller.json).

Controller.json
Off-road multiplier = 1 (100%) for all modern wheels exept G27 etc.

Spring and Damper = 0%
You can (and honestly should) leave it at default for rF2 (and for most other games), rF2 doesn't even use this.

And with both overall forces and constant and periodic both set to 100 %, you really should emphasize you *need* to turn the forced fan mode on your wheel on, at least if you like your wheel and want to keep using it for quite some time.

FFB MULTI FOR 99% of the cars = 0.85 (For some rather rare cars it will be necessary to lower the value. 0.85 is suitable for 99% of cars. By opening the "All vehicles" file, using the "replace by" function, you can do it for all cars at one time.)

Also setting a flat FFB multiplier for all cars is a pretty weird approach IMO as the multiplier sometimes needs to be tweaked even going from track to track with the same car if you want optimal results and various cars often differ wildly as well, except perhaps for the latest official S397 content where the cars are mostly comparable, but I guess if this weird procedure works for you, then go for it I guess. Still would hesitate to recommend it as a good general approach, though.

I propose my settings for the T300, A COMPROMISE BETWEEN GOOD SENSATIONS AND LOW CLIPPING :

PROFILER THRUSTMASTER
- Overall forces = 100%
- Contant and Periodic = 100%
- Spring and Damper = 0%

INGAME
- Filter = 0 (OFF)
- Vehicle set = yes
- FFB MULTI FOR 99% of the cars = 0.85 (For some rather rare cars it will be necessary to lower the value. 0.85 is suitable for 99% of cars. By opening the "All vehicles" file, using the "replace by" function, you can do it for all cars at one time.)
- FFB Min Torque : 3.7% (in the controller.json).

Controller.json
Off-road multiplier = 1 (100%) for all modern wheels exept G27 etc.

Can you prove you're getting "low clipping" as with those settings I'd imagine the Clipping to be extortionate, the DAMPlugin will help show what's really going on and I'd like to see the graph with those settings if possible, thanks :)

Can you prove you're getting "low clipping" as with those settings I'd imagine the Clipping to be extortionate
Don't forget that the clipping we usually talk about is only related to the in-game settings, not to the wheel settings (a lot of people don't really understand this). T300 doesn't really suffer from HW clipping, even when set to 100 % (really, few wheels do), so the only relevant thing here in regards of clipping is his 0.85 multiplier, which would indeed steer him clear of most traces of clipping with a lot of cars.

Just an observation: I've read numerous times that PP ultra is only for external cam replays and doesn't have an effect for cockpit view except from decreasing fps.

That is partially correct as far as I know - setting high post processing doesn't really decrease fps for cockpit view, because the truly performance taxing effects are indeed only applied to external cameras (so it has a major effect on those). It still does offer a minor improvement in cockpit view with things like glare and stuff like that, so some performance drop does happen, but it's very unlikely you'll notice.

That is partially correct as far as I know - setting high post processing doesn't really decrease fps for cockpit view, because the truly performance taxing effects are indeed only applied to external cameras (so it has a major effect on those). It still does offer a minor improvement in cockpit view with things like glare and stuff like that, so some performance drop does happen, but it's very unlikely you'll notice.
From devs:
For your information, we added the "ultra" setting to create the best possible image we can. In some cases that will slow down your system to a halt, so in those cases, look at this as a way to render screenshots and stick with lower settings for driving.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/depth-of-field.136156/#post-2488225

Don't forget that the clipping we usually talk about is only related to the in-game settings, not to the wheel settings (a lot of people don't really understand this). T300 doesn't really suffer from HW clipping, even when set to 100 % (really, few wheels do), so the only relevant thing here in regards of clipping is his 0.85 multiplier, which would indeed steer him clear of most traces of clipping with a lot of cars.

aahh yes sorry I confused myself :p

BTW, in case anyone is interested in my settings on my T300, I use 90 % overall gain (obviousy forced fan mode on, as it really should be with this wheel) with 95 % for constant, periodic, spring and damper for pretty much all of my sims (and I'd ask anyone to please don't get on that uninformed and completely outdated 0 % spring and damper bandwagon). In game, I use smoothing at 3 (though it really makes very little difference from 0, but I just like it) and FFB minimum torque at 2.5 % (because that's all that you should really need with T300 and I don't like to artificially boost low end forces).

FFB multiplier is too dependent on track/car combo to post a general recommendation - I just adjust it on the fly to get as much gain as possible while only get clipping in extreme situations like hitting a curb and such if at all possible. Generally, with the current S397 cars, this means using a multiplier of around 0.7 to 1.0 (or maybe even a bit higher at times) based on the track characteristics, but can wildly vary with modded cars where the FFB is often all over the place).

You said it is very unlikely to notice performance drop with high post processing but even devs recommend lower settings.

No, I said you are unlikely to notice both the quality improvement and the performance drop in cockpit view. I actually went ahead and tried it myself again, just to make sure. The difference in cockpit view between low and ultra during worst case scenarios was about 10-15 fps even on my struggling GTX 970, so quite far from the 1080 that is discussed here. Meanwhile, with external cameras, it can easily half the framerate for me.

Last edited:
FFB: what Martin said! And if it's too rough for your taste (since ac is pretty smooth compared to rF2 anyway), just increase smoothing. I used 12 on my g27 to stop kerbs making it sound like it would shred itself to pieces.
You'll still get the "best ffb in the consumer world" :)

Graphic settings: I invested quite some hours testing each setting separately in sunshine and in worst case scenarios (bunched up grid at almost night in the rain).
Won't be at my pc until tomorrow evening but then gonna drop you a Screenshot :)
I'm at 3440x1440, 60 fps with a 1070 and an I7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz. Your cpu should perform a little better and the 1080 at only fullhd should increase the fps too ofc.
But my fps would drop in mentioned worst case scenario to around 40 fps so I guess my settings might suit you well.

Oh and I'm using Martin's reshade ini to get rid of the.. Cartoonish look of the colours.

Ps: if you feel like off-track ffb or collisions are overly strong: don't worry, there are some lines in the player json to reduce this. Wasn't necessary with the g27 but my csw 2.5 likes to snap my wrists at default (kinda realistic :p)

I gave you turnkey settings, why not test them ?

Regarding the T300 I have many tests with damplugin and it is excellent. The best compromise.

Regarding the graphic settings, they allow to have the best possible settings when it does not rain day or night, while reducing imperceptibly the visual effects when it rains, while having an excellent average FPS.

Extremely rigorous tests were done, I gave you the figures: why not test ?

Regarding what some say about the post process, IT'S FALSE : there is a huge visual difference in the cockpit between medium and high, and light between high and ultra. I could not put medium knowing all that I would lose.

And after some say that Rf2 is not as nice as PC2 AH AH. Start by putting in ultra.

You have two turnkey solutions, if you not test them too bad!

Regarding what some say about the post process, IT'S FALSE : there is a huge visual difference in the cockpit between medium and high, and light between high and ultra. I could not put medium knowing all that I would lose.

There only difference in cockpit post FX that I can see are in FPS. Medium and high have similar FPS, whereas ultra brings at least a 10% FPS penalty. The image looks more or less the same.

Medium:
rFactor2 2019-02-12 02-38-21-47.jpg
High:
rFactor2 2019-02-12 02-28-29-67.jpg
Ultra:
rFactor2 2019-02-12 02-31-32-69.jpg

@John-Eric Saxén You won't really notice much difference in general daylight scenes, most of the difference in postprocessing between various PP levels in cockpit view is limited to lighting effects and is quite subtle, so it's mostly noticeable at night:

rfactor2_low_vs_ultra.png

Note that this is low (top) vs ultra (bottom), with medium or high, the difference is even less pronounced (but it's still there).

Edit: Oh, I didn't notice you were responding to that guy above. So yeah, I basically agree with you, just pointing out there is a bit of a difference, as unlikely as one is to notice it while not pixelpeeping screenshots and actually racing.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 472 39.0%