Best open wheel cars for AC ?

I've tried quite a few, but tend to like the lower powered cars. What are the choices for more modern ones?
I thought there were some payware ones that were really good as well. I wish they had the Skip Barber car, as its always been my favorite.

I'd love something less downforce dependant like a Formula Ford or Formula Vee in AC. Even the FAbarth feels very much like a high end high downforce car to me. I'm not a massive open wheel fan but I reckon I would enjoy some less downforce dependant open wheelers.

The Lotus 25 is a great car, but I can't fathom how to get it setup right, even after hours and hours of playing with it. Any hints on how to set it up properly ?
That and the engine at low revs sounds awful.

If I remember I'll post mine when I get home, not that I'm good with setups but it seems ok to me. Less reluctant to turn than default IIRC. I guess the setup you want depends on what it is that you don't like about the handling at present.

I don't know much about car setup at all, but after my first (and only) online race at Feldbergring, someone sent me their setup for the Porsche 718RS60. When I tried it out, it was like my dream car - it behaved exactly as I could have hoped for. I was able to make it turn sharper by making the back step out, heavy braking into hairpins was vastly improved, it was just a joy to drive.

I looked at what he changed, how this guy managed to turn this lovely but understeery car into a nimble, lively racer, and tried to apply the same changes to the Lotus 25, and it worked! :confused: (I also tried it with the Masterati 250F 6-cyl too).

I have attached the Lotus 25 setup I use for all tracks now, but I mostly drive on twisty turny German roads from the 1950s :D

Attachments

• battenberg-ring 02.ini
    1.1 KB · Views: 425
Thanks , yes I meant the Lotus 25. Tried it numerous times and under braking it always skidded off to the left and turn-in wasn't very good at all, which really surprised me, especially compared to most other rear engine cars of this era.
Was looking at the Formula RSS 4 too, as that is only 160HP and supposedly low downforce, so it should be a drivers car as well. Anyone tried it? I also didn't see any skins for it either, unless there available somewhere.

Last edited:
That car has a lot of engine braking so you need to change down at lower rpm than a lot of cars. If you are losing the rear under braking that is probably why unless you have the brake balance set very far to the rear.

The other issue you described sounds the same as mine with default, IIRC the diff settings cured it for me.

I don't know much about car setup at all, but after my first (and only) online race at Feldbergring, someone sent me their setup for the Porsche 718RS60. When I tried it out, it was like my dream car - it behaved exactly as I could have hoped for. I was able to make it turn sharper by making the back step out, heavy braking into hairpins was vastly improved, it was just a joy to drive.

I looked at what he changed, how this guy managed to turn this lovely but understeery car into a nimble, lively racer, and tried to apply the same changes to the Lotus 25, and it worked! :confused: (I also tried it with the Masterati 250F 6-cyl too).

I have attached the Lotus 25 setup I use for all tracks now, but I mostly drive on twisty turny German roads from the 1950s :D
Our setups are quite different!

[FINAL_RATIO]
VALUE=5

[TYRES]
VALUE=0
[PRESSURE_LF]
VALUE=34

[PRESSURE_RF]
VALUE=34

[PRESSURE_LR]
VALUE=34

[PRESSURE_RR]
VALUE=34

[FUEL]
VALUE=30

[CAMBER_LF]
VALUE=-15

[TOE_OUT_LF]
VALUE=75

[CAMBER_RF]
VALUE=-15

[TOE_OUT_RF]
VALUE=75

[CAMBER_LR]
VALUE=-9

[TOE_OUT_LR]
VALUE=20

[CAMBER_RR]
VALUE=-9

[TOE_OUT_RR]
VALUE=20

[DAMP_BUMP_LF]
VALUE=1

[DAMP_REBOUND_LF]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_BUMP_RF]
VALUE=0

[DAMP_REBOUND_RF]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_BUMP_LR]
VALUE=5

[DAMP_REBOUND_LR]
VALUE=4

[DAMP_BUMP_RR]
VALUE=5

[DAMP_REBOUND_RR]
VALUE=4

[DIFF_POWER]
VALUE=30

[DIFF_COAST]
VALUE=20

[DIFF_PRELOAD]
VALUE=5

[BRAKE_POWER_MULT]
VALUE=100

[FRONT_BIAS]
VALUE=52

[ENGINE_LIMITER]
VALUE=100

[ARB_FRONT]
VALUE=100

[ARB_REAR]
VALUE=10

[SPRING_RATE_LF]
VALUE=26

[ROD_LENGTH_LF]
VALUE=4

[SPRING_RATE_RF]
VALUE=26

[ROD_LENGTH_RF]
VALUE=4

[SPRING_RATE_LR]
VALUE=35

[ROD_LENGTH_LR]
VALUE=5

[SPRING_RATE_RR]
VALUE=35

[ROD_LENGTH_RR]
VALUE=5

[CAR]
MODEL=ks_lotus_25

[FINAL_RATIO]
VALUE=0

[TYRES]
VALUE=0
[PRESSURE_LF]
VALUE=36

[PRESSURE_RF]
VALUE=39

[PRESSURE_LR]
VALUE=36

[PRESSURE_RR]
VALUE=38

[FUEL]
VALUE=11

[CAMBER_LF]
VALUE=-24

[TOE_OUT_LF]
VALUE=95

[CAMBER_RF]
VALUE=-24

[TOE_OUT_RF]
VALUE=95

[CAMBER_LR]
VALUE=-20

[TOE_OUT_LR]
VALUE=13

[CAMBER_RR]
VALUE=-20

[TOE_OUT_RR]
VALUE=13

[DAMP_BUMP_LF]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_REBOUND_LF]
VALUE=2

[DAMP_BUMP_RF]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_REBOUND_RF]
VALUE=2

[DAMP_BUMP_LR]
VALUE=4

[DAMP_REBOUND_LR]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_BUMP_RR]
VALUE=4

[DAMP_REBOUND_RR]
VALUE=3

[DIFF_POWER]
VALUE=60

[DIFF_COAST]
VALUE=40

[DIFF_PRELOAD]
VALUE=10

[BRAKE_POWER_MULT]
VALUE=100

[FRONT_BIAS]
VALUE=58

[ENGINE_LIMITER]
VALUE=108

[ARB_FRONT]
VALUE=100

[ARB_REAR]
VALUE=5

[SPRING_RATE_LF]
VALUE=18

[ROD_LENGTH_LF]
VALUE=18

[SPRING_RATE_RF]
VALUE=18

[ROD_LENGTH_RF]
VALUE=18

[SPRING_RATE_LR]
VALUE=30

[ROD_LENGTH_LR]
VALUE=18

[SPRING_RATE_RR]
VALUE=30

[ROD_LENGTH_RR]
VALUE=18

[CAR]
MODEL=ks_lotus_25

I just change gears per track and sometimes raise or lower tyre pressure one side or the other if they arent all at optimum. Other than that I use this every time.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back