Best open road tracks

Until now I have been playing Nordschleife (practice mode) 90% of the time when I load Assetto Corsa. I don't like those moderd wide F1 tracks, which may be good for racing, but not for fun and for sense of speed. I said "until now" because recently I've found out two tracks which are amazing in everything and are even better to enjoy driving in open roads than Nords itself. These tracks are Deutschlandring and Fonteny. Both look amazing, beautiful, focused on the countryside, full of trees, houses, different kind of tarmac, lots of details and incredibly fun and challenging to drive. They have very good performance too and I have not noticed any fps drops. Fonteny is incredibly long, although it lacks, unfortunatelly, collision detection with trees and some other elements outside of the tarmac. I've been playing both tracks for many hours these days. They are fun to drive with any car, but combined with the speed, the rawness and the vidid behaviour of old F1 cars from the 60s, the experience is just incredible. Can you recommend more tracks like these, which have good visuals and good performance? I have some others like Alto Tajo, Black Cat County, Trento Bondone, Glave Zete... but I don't like them so much.

Lake Louise is the grand daddy of AC's open road tracks [probably] Although it's showing it's age it's still a grand day out.

High Force, although it's still in a beta stage with a low version number it's already a fab rendition of Northern England's country roads

L.A. Canyons is awesome and well worth throwing a few dolleuropounds at to get the VIP version.

Fonteny is a circuit rather than an open road but it's long with amazing twists, turns and cambers.
Deutschlandring and Feldbergring are other great examples of the above

Simtraxx's Transfagarasan hill climb is definitely getting there and it's great for recreating some Top Gear moments

They will keep you busy for a while until others chime in with the ones I've forgotten

Jim covered the essentials above.

Feldbergring and Thomson Road would be the obvious mentions as good additions if you are liking Fat Alfie's tracks like you already mentioned. Feldbergring is a long wild ride through the streets including some picturesque, cobbled road, village scenery and is the one that fits your description the best but to me both are an essential addition if you like driving vintage cars.

As much as you may have overdriven the Nordschleife (is that even possible?), again going on your vintage mention, if you don't alrewady have the excellent 1967 version maintained by WilliamTRiker here on RD, it would be surely be a good addition. It also opens up the sudschleife and steilstrecke to enjoy.

It is hard for me to remember more that fit what you ask for but maybe a mention to something like Circuit de Charade, an 8km circuit on roads, it has good track feel and lots of bumps, camber, elevation changes and such.

There are tonnes of touge and hill-climb tracks but are mostly in the same vein as Tajo and others you mentioned so probably not up your alley. I like them now and again and many look great but they can be too stop-starty with all the endless hairpins if you are not one of those guys that likes to drive the car in the direction it was not designed to go (sideways).

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 98 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 74 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years