• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Best of Simracing Mods: "Can-Am 1971", for Grand Prix Legends

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by leon_90, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips

Ratings:
    +7
    Does it have VR support?:sneaky:

• Haha Haha x 2
  2. manu68

manu68
    Premium

Ratings:
    +271
    I could not resist. (sorry if it is not exactly related to can am 1971)
    A lap on the tack I have designed at that time with my friend Jackseller from F1legends.net , in memory of our friend Jops who passed away in 2005 at only 40 years old (rank -83 for the people who know what it means). I will never forget him.

(I have made the layout, placement of objects etc... ; Jackseller has made all the graphical things, textures , .....Jackseller is in my opinion the best moder of Grand prix legends. What he has made for years at F1legends.net after Jops died is just incredible.)

The track exists also for GRT2, GTL, Rfactor, ....
    Conversion by Neel Jani

• Love Love x 1
  3. jpalesi

jpalesi

Ratings:
    +41
    Once I learned how to drive the cars, I found out that the cars weren't difficult to drive. It's difficult to go fast, it always is (if it was easy, everybody would do it), but they aren't that difficult to drive. GPL difficult to drive is another myth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angus Baltimore

Angus Baltimore

Ratings:
    +0
    Believe me i know someone who's been playing F1 for years, buying the new one each year, but it's his thing i guess.

5. Craig Dunkley

Craig Dunkley
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,752
    Oh I certainly remember my GPL days ..I could hardly believe the graphics and then my first drive..physics were just superb.

I never actually got this mod at the time, I may even re-install GPL just to try it .. thanks leon_90 for bringing this mod to our attention :thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
  6. David Jundt

David Jundt

Ratings:
    +364
    Are you sure?

Second thread under HSO Championships, mod main download is in the "rules" thread, but you'll need to be logged in to download I believe.

7. Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Ratings:
    +21
    The "harder than real life" quote comes from David Kaemmer and is printed in the game manual.

8. GPL

GPL

Ratings:
    +63
    This and the Sportscar mod. Gems.

• Love Love x 1
  9. RobJLee

RobJLee

Ratings:
    +18
    This. No current gen game can compete on content.

As for Can Am, I love the Can Am cars of the 60s and 70s, especially the Porsche Turbopanzers (I prefer the 917/10 over the 917/30 though). The highlight of the Goodwood Revival is the Can Am race that they put on.

However, whilst there are Can AM mods out there for GPL, GTL, GTR2, rF1 etc. I find them rather aged for want of a better word, especially GPL (if someone wants to point me in the direction of a mod list that drastically improves the visual spectacle of GPL on it's own I'd be more than happy to change my mind). GTL/GTR2 have aged much better, depending on the quality of the mods you use, but even stock look better than GPL does.

As I've modded GTL/GTR2 myself in the past, although never being able to get as far as building a car in 3dsmax (or similar app), just a few conversions and some very basic UVW re-mapping with already available meshes, I appreciate the work that goes into making such mods, however considering the meshes are very dated, the textures are low res, and (in the GTR2 conversion I've tried) there are no cockpits, such mods aren't very playable for me.

Really wish someone would make a more modernised Can Am mod for games such as GTL/GTR2 - I'd even help out if possible.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  10. Kuckoo

Kuckoo

Ratings:
    +11
    It's doubtful he or any other professional racer ever said playing GPL is harder than doing the real thing. Likely a gross oversimplification or misunderstanding of something taken out of context. Real world professional motor racing is a physically and mentally strenuous activity. It's virtually impossible to convey that in a desktop computer product, no matter how well it's made. I'm guessing if such a comment was uttered it may have had something to do in relation to that.

Also, designing a racing sim so that it's more realistic will naturally make it more difficult in some respects, compared to easier or simpler products. That, however, is not the same as saying making some parts deliberately more difficult - just for its own sake - results in making things more real. The "harder=real" trope used here is backwards, and misses the point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. leon_90

leon_90
    Columnist for RaceDepartment Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,137
    wait for the end of the year then, you are in for a real treat ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. north

north

Ratings:
    +48
    Ooooh... I'm gonna wait too.

• Beer Beer x 1
  13. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +490
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Andrew C. Clegg

Andrew C. Clegg
    Premium

Ratings:
    +9
    An interesting article Leon. I'm enjoying the Thundercars mod at the moment. I do enjoy the 1971 Can-Am mod and tracks.
    Concentrating to get a few more times on GPL Rank.

• Beer Beer x 1
  15. Andrew C. Clegg

Andrew C. Clegg
    Premium

Ratings:
    +9
    An interesting article Leon. I enjoy this mod and tracks.
    I'm enjoying the Thundercars mod at the moment.
    Trying to get a few times on GPL Rank.

16. ClimaxF1

ClimaxF1

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Hi there

A simple request, can you give us a link to the Rfactor mod or conversion.

17. ChaosZeroJK

ChaosZeroJK

Ratings:
    +79
    The thing that is rarely discussed, is that up until the early '00s, we didn't have all the fancy tools that the younger kids have nowadays. Often, tools had too be made from scratch just to make mods. Or mods had to be made in such a way that circumvented the lack of said tools.

Nowadays, people that are considered to be the clowns of the community use the abundance of mods of some current games such as AC as a perk or something to be proud of, but the quality of 90% of them is quite bad. Mods badly converted, badly ripped, badly made, all because there are tools that make all the work for you at the pressing of a button. Quality control has gone away and attention to detail is not a priority anymore.

GPL, GP4, SCGT, the early days of rF1/GTR2 were the golden age of modding. Nowadays it's just a cringefest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. leon_90

leon_90
    Columnist for RaceDepartment Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,137
    Sorry, not possible. Plus, I don't even have the rFactor conversion myself to be honest

19. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +490
    Wow just wow

If 90% of them are bad and a cringefest who do you blame for that ? :)

imho the problem is modding and painting has never had cohesion

Every hobby I can think of has a properly run non profit global organization, even knitting !

If modding was a organization it would be called disjointed and fractured

decade ago I imagined a Global Modders and Painters Co-Op
    which would have established guidelines, rules and charter of ethics, all the usual stuff
    Like any organization it would have yearly dues
    There would be perks for members
    Modders and painters would have everything they need
    real time workshops, software, test severs
    For a fee members would be able to take courses on modding and painting and learn from the best the right way down to chronicle file naming across mods and skins
    As well a open source section where anyone could sandbox and leave work to be tested
    All content released would have Co-Op seal of approval

No reason with all major sims catered for you could not end up with 10,000's of members
    happy to pay every year

You could even have Full courses with diplomas and modders getting wages as teachers
    crap you can become a minister online and they make millions a year

Silly pipe dream I know

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. GPL

GPL

Ratings:
    +63
    Le Mans anywhere from 1967 to 1972?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.