• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Best of Simracing Mods: "Can-Am 1971", for Grand Prix Legends

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by leon_90, Aug 22, 2018.

1. leon_90

leon_90
    Columnist for RaceDepartment Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,137
    McLaren.jpg

Thundering your way to the finish line.

Simracing is fun. One of the reasons why, is that it allows you to try some amazing cars, experiencing something that would simply be impossible otherwise. Maybe because you would not be able to afford it, maybe because these cars just do not exist anymore. A fine example is the 'Can-Am ’71' mod for Grand Prix Legends.

This is one of my favourite mods, probably second only to the massive Power&Glory expansion for the good old GTR2. It features almost the entire car roster from the season, however with some sore exception like the missing BRM P167, and a complete track pack is also available giving you the possibility of racing these monsters in the locations they actually raced at back then. All models are shaped beautifully, considering the evident limitations of a 20-year-old engine that was not meant for closed wheel cars. Skins, thanks to the historical add-on patch released, do perfectly recreate the liveries of all the vehicles, one by one, with incredible detail. Finally yet importantly, sounds are astonishing, with the deep growl of these gigantic engines represented truthfully.

Specific talent files are also supplied to provide both a generic list of drivers entries, with the most notorious obviously included, and a specific one for each event, where AI drivers recreate the race as it really happened during the season. The former option for those who want to race an entire championship and enjoy it as it unfolds with consistent opponents, the latter meant for those who want to relive the scenario as if they were there, maybe changing the outcome of the race.

Lola.jpg

Physics is also an important aspect, as for any simracing title or mod, with every car posing a different challenge. Racing in a McLaren is somewhat easier than with the rest of the cars, but you are going to face some tough competition from both the privateers and the works team. The Lola and the Shadow are the obvious pursuers, with the “white elephant” being the quicker of the two and maybe the more enjoyable too. The Ferrari is the underdog, but with some good practice, it can compete for the podium without much trouble, while the Porsche is just out of pace. The work and profound improvement, fruit of Penske and Donohue’s work on the Stuttgart racer, is after all yet to come in 1971.

Racing this mod is just so much fun. These lightweight cars, stocked with 6 to 8 litres engines, on twisty narrow tracks, are a thrill. You cannot stop smiling, while you are holding on for dear life with every bit of rubber left in your tires for every inch of track still available. Taming and mastering these beasts is stressful, to say the least, yet incredibly satisfying when done right. Racing the AI is remarkably immersive, with drivers like Stewart, Hulme, Revson, Adamowicz, Andretti, and Posey going all in with no regrets. Being along such legends, even if they are just their virtual counterpart, leaves you speechless. The track atmosphere does all the rest.

Can-Am might be no more, at least as it used to be. These cars might be no more. Drivers, champions, legends like these might not be seen on a racetrack all together anymore; but thank heavens for simracing, for it allows you to travel back in time and be too part of it.

Shadow.jpg

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    • Love Love x 14
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Highbank

Highbank

Ratings:
    +49
    My fave thanks for this wonderful write up

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nico

Nico

Ratings:
    +232
    This is why I play sim racing games, and also why I do think that modding is ESSENTIAL to any PC game that wants to be succesful. Not everyone wants to race with the same F1 or GT3 cars over and over. Variety is important.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 3
  4. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks

Ratings:
    +211
    We at Historic Simracing Organization released a version for rfactor1 with physics done by me that is one of the championships being run this year. ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
    • Beer Beer x 3
  5. Pedro17

Pedro17

Ratings:
    +9
    I think it was Jackie Stewart who said GPL was actually much harder than the real thing. This was how the myth of "harder equals more realistic" came into being. I've never played it, but I hope there are good physics mods available.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stig Bidstrup

Stig Bidstrup
    Jarek says " 900 degrees of rotation " Premium

Ratings:
    +1,141
    Tried this Mod a year ago , and was also stunned how good the physics and especially the FFB where. But not easy to find any to drive with now a days in this ageing game ( rfactor ).

Still have it on my hard drive tho --if it should happen..

The version I tried was the @Richard Wilks version :thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RufGTI

RufGTI

Ratings:
    +147
    Sadly GPL was prior my time. My candidates for excellent mods would be the F1 2006 CTDP and CART mods for rFactor and the RSS GT1 mod for AC :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Isaac Chavira

Isaac Chavira
    Livery Designer Premium

Ratings:
    +813
    Wow I am getting this as soon as I get home. You should throw a donation button on your article for the team that made this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  9. north

north

Ratings:
    +48
    Good article. Indeed one of several great mods for GPL. It may be 'too hard' but man is it fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Nick Hill

Nick Hill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +489
    We all owe a debt of gratitude to GPL - a true classic and pioneer. That said, it's artificially hard (in the sense of it being far harder than reality).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Austin Ogonoski

Austin Ogonoski

Ratings:
    +444
    Richard WIlks and the guys at HSO did a phenomenal job of revitalizing this mod for rFactor. The visuals are obviously dated but the physics are incredible and it's one of the few mods that depicts wheelspin accurately in high horsepower cars.

• Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hal Burns

Hal Burns

Ratings:
    +156
    Looks great...any links to this RF1 mod? I have not found one yet......

13. muzikant

muzikant

Ratings:
    +361
    Gpl was the first with the Nordschleife ( nurburgring) the whole ambiance from racing in the 60's.. ..... and every car feels different. Lotus.. brabham.. cooper... eagle..ferrari..honda.. brm.. You want to learn everything about this cars. A lot of days I spend on this game. I feel love from that days :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. manu68

manu68
    Premium

Ratings:
    +271
    I spend many years racing Grand Prix legends online with leagues.
    Fantastic time, but to much time required. I don't race much online anymore
    I will never forget some fantastic races with 33-56k modem at the very beginning.

What have been done during all these years by modders is just unbelievable. I am always in love with the graphics and the sensation of this game
    Spa 67 or Monaco Rocks @60fps on a nice config is something that has about no counterpart in the simracing world in my opinion. There is for sure better graphics available around, but the all package is incredible
    Grand prix legends and its mods remains something special to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  15. TwanV86

TwanV86

Ratings:
    +5
    once I found out a more realistic diff-setting, GPL was an absolute blast. #1 for me in hours raced, my favourite was the 1965 mod, full season 100% distance, pushing like crazy to maintain myself in the midfield at east london, winning in monaco, ahh the memories.

16. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +597
    I think the Jackie Stewart feedback is a myth. There was never any evidence he ever tried GPL and it seems very unlikely. Nevertheless the mods are typically easier to drive.

A big part of the "shock" of GPLs difficulty was I suspect most people were brought up on Crammonds GP2 where you corner at 4g and brake at the 100m board, while in GPL you corner at 1.3g and brake at the 300m board. The other issue was the Lotus 49 was the "obvious" car to choose but it was the most difficult to drive. Cars like the Cooper and Eagle were much more forgiving. And finally few people had wheels back in 1998. I know I drove with a joystick until late 2000.

There were a number of myths about GPL circulating in the community back in the day. As well as the Jackie Stewart story there was the myth that GPL only sold 7000 copies. Later Papyrus revealed it actually sold 200,000 copies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  17. Raikku

Raikku

Ratings:
    +76
    Yeah, link for rF1-version would be nice. I'm too lazy to start installing gpl again after many years, I have cd and all but work needed is just too much. I still have few rF1-installs on my computer so addind Can Am to them would be easy. Found HSO's page but didn't find anything about Can Am.

18. Jurld

Jurld

Ratings:
    +23
    Most folks also had 15 or 17" monitors back then, too. And the FOV was never going to be close to right.

19. TwanV86

TwanV86

Ratings:
    +5
    correct, and like I mentioned, the stock car setups were just awful, impossible to go fast without overdriving the car. the limited slip differential modeling was fantastic though (for its time), and once you found out how to set up for proper trail-braking the feel of the cars was very predictive. The AI was wonderful too by the way.

Not too sure about Jacky Stewart but I saw a video of him looking at the Montjuich track in GPL, and I recall Nigel Mansell having a go as well.

For impressions on GPL for anyone who missed it, this video series is still pretty cool:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ClimaxF1

ClimaxF1

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Even though I'm a big fan of all type open wheel cars I have lately really started to enjoy some of the classic cars.
    Is there a link for the Rfactor mod?
    Am sure others would be interested too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.