Best LC brake pedal configuration

Hi guys

I haven't seen anything on this, so I hope this isn't a repost.

I recently bought renovated my rig (desk pleb here) and I got a Fanatec CSL elite kit with the load cell brake pedal. It's the first time using LC so I'm on the beginning of a steep learning curve. At the moment I'm using the default rubber density (65 I think, with a soft foam ring in the middle), but I have several questions, even though I know some stuff comes down to personal preference but I need a starting point:
  • Does the placement of the rubber has any influence on the feel? For instance, placing the foam bit on the top or the bottom of stack affect the feel?
  • Should I aim for a lot of travel with less resistance (i.e., using only 65 rubber) or should I go for a more progressive feel (mix 65 with 85)? In the former I can control the braking by the amplitude of the movement (mostly), while the latter allows to use more of a "strength feel", and I don't know which is better for muscle memory. I want to get closer to a "real" feel, but I know it also depends on the car.
  • Should I not even consider the foam bit and not have that bit of travel without any resistance?

Note that even though I'm using a desk my chair doesn't move, at least for the current brake resistance that I'm using.

Thanks in advance.

• Does the placement of the rubber has any influence on the feel? For instance, placing the foam bit on the top or the bottom of stack affect the feel?

Order doesn't matter in regard to the feel.

• Should I aim for a lot of travel with less resistance (i.e., using only 65 rubber) or should I go for a more progressive feel (mix 65 with 85)? In the former I can control the braking by the amplitude of the movement (mostly), while the latter allows to use more of a "strength feel", and I don't know which is better for muscle memory. I want to get closer to a "real" feel, but I know it also depends on the car.
  • Should I not even consider the foam bit and not have that bit of travel without any resistance?

If you're used to a car with a brake booster, then keep the sponge. If you want to mimic cars without brake boosters (e.g. many formula cars, lightweight vintage sports cars), then remove the sponge. The rest of the feel is whatever you want... if you race in socks, the hardest are probably not going to be to your liking.

Doublecheck the pedal meter in-game to make sure you're getting full braking when you think you are at full braking. Watching replays, I discovered my racing partner was not using the full brake pedal after I created a setup for the car we were sharing and it turned out he didn't know he wasn't fully pressing the loadcell brake pedal, hadn't re-calibrated it in-game.

Personally, these days I'm going for brake booster and progressive feel that matches my Ford Focus ST because that's what I'm autocrossing. Up until I bought it in 2018, I'd have gone for a very solid non-progressive, non-booster setup because that's where I was going with race cars.

Upvote 0
I mostly race GTE and LMP1. Will removing the booster give me a better feel? The boost is 15-20% of brake pressure that has very little sensitivity.

Yeah I did configure it ingame properly, thanks. I was surprised since it requires a small amplitude of movement, at least 1/3 of what I had to move my old spring pedals. Now that I think about it I have to double check on the Fanatec property page but I think it should be fine.

Thanks for the extensive reply and the tips.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back