Just wanted to know what everyone is using in their sim racing cockpits.

I've been using a wireless mini keyboard every since I got into sim racing on pc back in late 2011 because I couldn't deal with the unnecessary hassle of a full sized mouse and keyboard.
Here's what I'm using. The blue mini keyboard sitting completely out of the way on top my PC but still only half an arms length away from where I sit.

2020_0122_134151_013-1.JPG

So what you guys using?

I seriously thought you were asking what keyboard to use for racing, steering the car!-)

I use a small wireless keyboard, I don't have a keyboard tray, I just pick it up when I need it. Can't type much with the VR headset on anyway.

Upvote 0
I've been using a wireless small combined keyboard / touchpad thing for a while but that thing drove me crazy.
Now I use a full size keyboard (Havit) on a keyboard tray and mouse (Logi G) with fixed mouse pad on the rig. Really happy with them.

Upvote 0
Same here, I've used a Logitech K400 for a while now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XJ3LVPI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HayTEbDAYSTCA
I did have a large cumbersome keyboard mount on my old solid rig, which would pivot across when in use, but it was just annoying and not actually very practical, so binned it and started using the K400 which makes life so much easier - especially now I've moved to a motion rig, being strapped in etc, it's a much better solution - currently working on tidy place to store it on the bottom of the rig rather than just on a chair next to me, but I do love that little keyboard!

Upvote 0
Same here, I've used a Logitech K400 for a while now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XJ3LVPI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HayTEbDAYSTCA
I did have a large cumbersome keyboard mount on my old solid rig, which would pivot across when in use, but it was just annoying and not actually very practical, so binned it and started using the K400 which makes life so much easier - especially now I've moved to a motion rig, being strapped in etc, it's a much better solution - currently working on tidy place to store it on the bottom of the rig rather than just on a chair next to me, but I do love that little keyboard!
Funny how diametral things are sometimes for different people. :)

Upvote 0
Funny how diametral things are sometimes for different people. :)
Yes! Absolutely agree - Sometimes it just comes down to preference! I hope my comments didn't come across dismissive to owning a keyboard mount in general - and apologies if it did; I think if my solid rig had a better, less obtrusive solution I would be saying something different; it was however on a big cumbersome swing arm - a disappointment having spent extra on it. I do find it hard to type comfortably without the keyboard being right infront of me though, so I struggle to see how usable a static mount that is not central would be - but hey if it works for people, and doesn't get in the way, respect!
With the motion rig though it becomes a little harder.. Working on a Velcro based solution at the moment, but be interested to know what other motion rig owners use....

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Nothing beats proper mouse, esp in VR.
And even on screen internet browsing or other activity while seating in sim rig, how do you guys manage to stay sane using touchpad for that is a mystery to me.
But guess not everyone's rig can accommodate keyboard tray and mouse pad making portable keyboard with integrated touchpad the only option, not the best one though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I had a very small bluetooth model, but I have uninstalled it. I amost never used it anyway and now with the Oculus Rift S on my head and gloves on my hands, it's completelly useless. The keyboard tray I made for it will be now for my cell phone.

Upvote 0
Yes! Absolutely agree - Sometimes it just comes down to preference! I hope my comments didn't come across dismissive to owning a keyboard mount in general - and apologies if it did; I think if my solid rig had a better, less obtrusive solution I would be saying something different; it was however on a big cumbersome swing arm - a disappointment having spent extra on it. I do find it hard to type comfortably without the keyboard being right infront of me though, so I struggle to see how usable a static mount that is not central would be - but hey if it works for people, and doesn't get in the way, respect!
With the motion rig though it becomes a little harder.. Working on a Velcro based solution at the moment, but be interested to know what other motion rig owners use....
All good mate! I just discover from time to time, that touch-based wireless input devices and me are not compatible. :roflmao: The combination keyboard / mouse is some much quicker for me, too.

Upvote 0
until yesterday it was this....

1602364978167.png
\

Now that it is double left clicking, I have ordered this...

1602365054282.png

My little Lenovo did okay, but it took a dive one too many times off of my rig. Not sure if this is the reason for the recent double click, but once a double click starts it rarely goes away. Ordered the K400+ today for $25 USD. I should get it tomorrow morning by 8am :).

Upvote 0
I get some flex but nothing where it is bothersome (maybe 2-3mm deflection on the farthest end). I don't use a keyboard tray because it adds weight and bulk. I have 45 degrees 8020 mounting adapters and use 3M double-sided tape to the keyboard. It works really well tbh. The K410 is really lightweight. I was getting a loose connection between the swivels and the extrusion after a while but it was remedied with Loctite red.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I received my K410+, and so far it is doing well. Much better than what I had. As far as mounting goes...the floor does nicely ;). Reach down and pick it up when needed, and place it back when done. Slide it under the rig when not racing. The keyboard actually does well with gloves. I recently started wearing them to protect my Alcantara rim.

Upvote 0
I'm using a cnventional keyboard tray with TKL keyboard and a wireless Logitech ERGO. The trackball takes a bit of getting used to but having the mouse in a fixed position comes in really handy for VR.

View attachment 370959View attachment 370960
That reminded me of the 3D printed shifter holder I had lying in the cupboard unused. As the touchpad on the wireless mini keyboard always annoyed me, that looked promising.
(Also, as a VR player, I was constantly fingering the floor for that mini keyboard.)

[one amazon order and 24h later]

Ta-daaah.
IMG_20201013_143246278.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 311 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%