Best DD Capable Cockpit in $800 or less Range?

After having been bitten hard by the sim racing bug, i am building a computer + sim gear + VR in the $5K range at the moment. I will post the entire build on this site and ask for yall's critique when i finish picking all the pieces. I am finding this by far the best forum for sim racers (haven't checked out the iRacing forums yet though). I am in the USA (Dallas Tex-has)

The single component i am the most lost as to what to get is the cockpit itself.

I don't have a huge space to put the rig into. I plan to use VR exclusively, so i don't need space for a 3 monitor setup. I have 2 regular monitors on my computer desk, but the computer desk is 6 feet from where the cockpit will be. I figure i can still have a mouse/keyboard next to the cockpit if i get a 2nd wireless mouse/keyboard just for the cockpit. I may need to get a single (3rd) monitor just for the cockpit to have something right there that is other than VR. Can you live exclusively with VR and have the normal computer monitors 6 feet away?

Buying the following components in my current sim racing build:

Wheel = Accuforce V2 DD wheel ('only' 13nm), so need the cockpit to be sturdy enough to handle it.

Shifter = Fantatec H pattern shifter, and need a gearshift plate that is stable and doesn't move around easily (have seen many cockpits where that happens in youtube videos)

Pedals = CSL Elite with LC

As to the actual cockpit, it needs to be sturdy enough for the DD wheel, and with a sturdy shifter plate, AND it needs to be inexpensive as possible, as my budget is nearing max. Wanting the cockpit to meet the above AND be less than $800 total for the cockpit and and racing seat (if need to order one separately). I found a Summit Racing seat for $180 that looked really nice if i had to buy a separate seat, so i could get a seat for less than $200 USD.

Oh, AND it needs to be actually available to order (although i could live with several months+ of waiting for delivery if need be)

Tall order?

Note that i am working with Jeff Ford (FEG) and he mentioned the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo cockpit. It looks like you can get one without too long of a delay (although don't want to think about shipping cost from Europe right now), and if i got a seat from Summit Racing for $190, it would come close to the max limit of $800, would prolly go over it once you add in a single monitor attachment and a shifter plate attachment. But, can the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo cockpit support the Accuforce DD wheel and have a stable shifter plate?

Thanks, you guys are great, i really appreciate the help as i jump in the sim racing world. :)

Randy
:)

Last edited:
Ugh Andrew! Thanks for posting that. Before ordering anything I need to do a full search on this forum of every different component like pedals, etc to see what everyone on these forums has been saying. Despite what the owner of Trak Racer said in those threads, there were way too many really bad experiences vs the few good ones (and some of the good ones had no posting history, hmmm). I am super wary of Trak Racer now.

However, Sim-Labs is ONLY contactable thru their email (no phone customer service), and they are overseas, AND their instructions to put the thing together is way way worse than the Trak Racer instructions. I need all the help i can get in putting the thing together, not a handyman.

The difficulty in figuring out what rig to get is on par with figuring out what VR headset to get (for your first one) if you have never done it before. I am slowly learning though.

Randy

Upvote 0
It seems i am down to Sim-Labs then after reading those threads above.

I just changed my todo list to NOT call Trak Racer and instead try and ask the following from Sim-Labs CS next week:

What I will need for my needs?
How long it will take?
How can I call them on the phone?
What about better building instructions than the ones I saw in the schematics?

Randy

Upvote 0
I find myself VERY interested in the Sim-lab Team Redline TR1 Chassis.

I like that it is minimal and has a very small footprint (i have a very small place to put it in (5 x 3 feet only), that the seat sits very low to ground, kinda like the seating position in the Lotus 7 (see picture :) )
I would need a strong shifter mount, and would want to add a vertical crossbrace that went up and bolted to the shifter mount piece. I would have to custom order or build that somehow.

This review on the Redline TR1 is very good, and he is using the same wheel as me (Accuforce V2)

What do yall think of this one? It IS Sim-Labs, so if they say it is plenty good for DD wheels, i believe them, and this review backs that up.

Randy

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Ugh Andrew! Thanks for posting that. Before ordering anything I need to do a full search on this forum of every different component like pedals, etc to see what everyone on these forums has been saying. Despite what the owner of Trak Racer said in those threads, there were way too many really bad experiences vs the few good ones (and some of the good ones had no posting history, hmmm). I am super wary of Trak Racer now.

However, Sim-Labs is ONLY contactable thru their email (no phone customer service), and they are overseas, AND their instructions to put the thing together is way way worse than the Trak Racer instructions. I need all the help i can get in putting the thing together, not a handyman.

The difficulty in figuring out what rig to get is on par with figuring out what VR headset to get (for your first one) if you have never done it before. I am slowly learning though.

Randy
They have SRG assembly video as well as pdf manual now. I followed Barry's video, was done in two evenings.

Upvote 0
Don't blindly listen to one user. Especially not one that's a biased super fan of anything with Sim Lab or Simucube labeled on it.
Please do thorough research.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/track-racer-problems.180011/post-3155533
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/trak-racer-tr80-shipping-review.178493/post-3137595

Also keep in mind, RaceDepartment is basically a fan boy club for Simucube and Sim-Lab. Even if you had a bad experience with either of those companies, good luck venting about it here or you'll bring down the wrath of those companies' unpaid die hard employees.

Upvote 0

Randy

Plenty of people have ordered from TrakRacer without issue. To be honest with you, I don't really trust the OP of those complaint threads. They made accusations about TrakRacer employees sending them insulting private messages which doesn't seem realistic to me. And the CEO even challenged him to request an IP trace by the mod team. It seemed overly inflammatory toward Trak Racer.

If you want to pay $200 in shipping and wait 9 months for Sim Lab to finally send you a P1-X, be my guest, but I doubt you'll have an issue with TR80 shipping. And IMO, the Redline is terrible for direct drive compared to the TR80 and P1-X.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@TedBrosby- , do you have personal first-hand experience with either company, or just trying to muddy the waters?

Upvote 0
@TedBrosby- , do you have personal first-hand experience with either company, or just trying to muddy the waters?
The waters are always muddy when it comes to individual experience and reviews. People that have good experiences rarely write reviews, so I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

Barry to me sounds like the most honest reviewer out there, especially with how in depth he goes into dismantling everything, but your rarely know if it's completely genuine.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Agree when it comes to professional reviews due to monetization. Personal feedback from real users on sim forum like this is probably a better gauge when it comes to brands shopping.

Upvote 0
Next Level Racing's GTTrack is still very much worth considering as it is far superior to the F-GT Ultimate for DD applications, etc. Check out SRG's reviews at:
http://simracinggarage.com/category/reviews/page/7/ I would also encourage you to check out the NLR traction plus and NLR Motion Platform while you are browsing the SRG reviews. Be warned though: You cannot unsee the Traction Plus and once you have seen it, you are gonna want it.

Upvote 0
I Have the TrackRacer RS6 Mach 2 and very very much regret buying it as it's overpriced crap (all China manufactured) , should have been less than 1/2 of what i paid for it.

The seat is horrible , the most uncomfortable seat ever and the wheel mount and pedal tray both flex quite a lot which really pissed me of because if you read all the descriptions on the product pages you are led to believe it is very solid but it's far from it.

I have just now wasted more money replacing the seat with a comfortable reclining seat.

I emailed all my concerns to TrakRacer and received brief email responses which left me feeling like they didn't give a toss now they have my money.

Personally i will never ever purchase anything from them again , and i post whenever i can about my experience as it still really pisses me off (purchased 2 years ago).

Don't waste your money on any cheaper metal rigs just do it properly and get an 8020 Aluminium extrusion Rig , i wish i had now and not wasted my money.

Upvote 0
If i was ordering today, i would pick the Sim-Labs Evo cockpit and just wait on it. It seems to have the best consensus of good opinions about it. I do not think i need the P1X cockpit, that is overkill for me.

The one i like the looks of though continues to be the Sim-Labs Redline TR1 (and it is supposed to be a low seating position, which i want, plus it is minimal and small, and i have only a 5x3 foot space to work with) I assume it will work fine with direct drive and it is made by Sim-Labs also (and more expensive than the Evo cockpit), so i expect it to be a good product, and the reviews i have seen on it (see the one in my comment above) say it is great and works with DD wheels.

Ted, what is it about the Redline TR1 that you don't think is good?

Randy

Upvote 0
I Have the TrackRacer RS6 Mach 2 and very very much regret buying it as it's overpriced crap (all China manufactured) , should have been less than 1/2 of what i paid for it.

The seat is horrible , the most uncomfortable seat ever and the wheel mount and pedal tray both flex quite a lot which really pissed me of because if you read all the descriptions on the product pages you are led to believe it is very solid but it's far from it.

I have just now wasted more money replacing the seat with a comfortable reclining seat.

I emailed all my concerns to TrakRacer and received brief email responses which left me feeling like they didn't give a toss now they have my money.

Personally i will never ever purchase anything from them again , and i post whenever i can about my experience as it still really pisses me off (purchased 2 years ago).

Don't waste your money on any cheaper metal rigs just do it properly and get an 8020 Aluminium extrusion Rig , i wish i had now and not wasted my money.

I will not even call Trak Racer at this point, have heard too many really bad comments about them now

Upvote 0
Next Level Racing's GTTrack is still very much worth considering as it is far superior to the F-GT Ultimate for DD applications, etc. Check out SRG's reviews at:
http://simracinggarage.com/category/reviews/page/7/ I would also encourage you to check out the NLR traction plus and NLR Motion Platform while you are browsing the SRG reviews. Be warned though: You cannot unsee the Traction Plus and once you have seen it, you are gonna want it.

I re-watched the reviews on the NLR GTTrack and i would guess it IS good enough for my needs, but it also looks super flimsy and cheap compared to Sim-Labs stuff for example. Jeff Ford (my builder) said they were cheap also. I like that they come so well packaged and with great instructions though. Also, the GTTrack is not cheap at $900, although that does include a seat.

The thing i continue to remain the most confused on is what cockpit to get...

Randy

Upvote 0
After more video watching tonight (Barry at Sim Racing Garage), i am pretty set on waiting out getting a GT1-Evo from Simlab. I have a friend next door that is a good handyman that can help me put it together, and we have that great video showing you every step of putting it together from Barry at Sim Racing Garage (thanks Barry!).

Now, i just need to find out how long it will take to get one. How long is it taking to get one right now?

Should i not get black due to it scratching so easily? I like the black better, but don't want it all scratched up easily.

Also, i want a vertical bar supporting the horizontal shifter arm, not sure how to order that one.

I will email Simlab. Is there another way to contact them than email?

Randy

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Anodized finish is pretty tough to scratch easily, go for black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
After more video watching tonight (Barry at Sim Racing Garage), i am pretty set on waiting out getting a GT1-Evo from Simlab. I have a friend next door that is a good handyman that can help me put it together, and we have that great video showing you every step of putting it together from Barry at Sim Racing Garage (thanks Barry!).

Now, i just need to find out how long it will take to get one. How long is it taking to get one right now?

Should i not get black due to it scratching so easily? I like the black better, but don't want it all scratched up easily.

Also, i want a vertical bar supporting the horizontal shifter arm, not sure how to order that one.

Randy

Be aware that if you upgrade to DD later, you'll want to use the DD add on that uses aluminum profile and not the included wheel mount for GT1 Evo. Barry showed that it flexes with the Accuforce V2.

Other than that, I like the GT1 Evo a lot.
My issue with the TR1 Redline:
Because it only has two 60 degree uprights, it has less ability to be expanded with keyboard tray, mouse tray or other standard 8020 parts to add more functions to the rig it didn't originally have. Sim Lab does sell an angle bracket but it's more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Because of its smaller width, less 90 degree stability enforced pieces and lower weight, the rig experiences flex under higher force feedback. I don't think it could handle a stronger DD wheel than the Accuforce to be honest.

GT1 Evo though is solid. Best bang for buck from Sim Lab and you won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0

Yep, I was going to suggest getting a better shifter arm; I don't have this rig but it seems it would be more rigid for you shifter (and I guess that would help the whole rig).

I emailed them for a similar question before ordering a screen support (I wanted to add a shelf for my PC and needed to know what I would need to connect the 2); they've been really helpful, and answered me what to get exactly. They were pretty fast too, but it seems they ask to be patient for answers now, they get lots of questions! :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years