Best DD Capable Cockpit in $800 or less Range?

After having been bitten hard by the sim racing bug, i am building a computer + sim gear + VR in the $5K range at the moment. I will post the entire build on this site and ask for yall's critique when i finish picking all the pieces. I am finding this by far the best forum for sim racers (haven't checked out the iRacing forums yet though). I am in the USA (Dallas Tex-has)

The single component i am the most lost as to what to get is the cockpit itself.

I don't have a huge space to put the rig into. I plan to use VR exclusively, so i don't need space for a 3 monitor setup. I have 2 regular monitors on my computer desk, but the computer desk is 6 feet from where the cockpit will be. I figure i can still have a mouse/keyboard next to the cockpit if i get a 2nd wireless mouse/keyboard just for the cockpit. I may need to get a single (3rd) monitor just for the cockpit to have something right there that is other than VR. Can you live exclusively with VR and have the normal computer monitors 6 feet away?

Buying the following components in my current sim racing build:

Wheel = Accuforce V2 DD wheel ('only' 13nm), so need the cockpit to be sturdy enough to handle it.

Shifter = Fantatec H pattern shifter, and need a gearshift plate that is stable and doesn't move around easily (have seen many cockpits where that happens in youtube videos)

Pedals = CSL Elite with LC

As to the actual cockpit, it needs to be sturdy enough for the DD wheel, and with a sturdy shifter plate, AND it needs to be inexpensive as possible, as my budget is nearing max. Wanting the cockpit to meet the above AND be less than $800 total for the cockpit and and racing seat (if need to order one separately). I found a Summit Racing seat for $180 that looked really nice if i had to buy a separate seat, so i could get a seat for less than $200 USD.

Oh, AND it needs to be actually available to order (although i could live with several months+ of waiting for delivery if need be)

Tall order?

Note that i am working with Jeff Ford (FEG) and he mentioned the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo cockpit. It looks like you can get one without too long of a delay (although don't want to think about shipping cost from Europe right now), and if i got a seat from Summit Racing for $190, it would come close to the max limit of $800, would prolly go over it once you add in a single monitor attachment and a shifter plate attachment. But, can the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo cockpit support the Accuforce DD wheel and have a stable shifter plate?

Thanks, you guys are great, i really appreciate the help as i jump in the sim racing world. :)

Randy
:)

Last edited:
Found this website on another Race Dept thread...

digital-motorsports.com

It looks like i can get a Sim-Lab Redline TR1 from them with some waiting for $455 (add a $200 seat and shifter plate and single monitor attachment will likely bring that to around $800). Hmmm

Randy

Upvote 0
The gt1evo is good, no doubt about that, but its mostly just 8020. I've heard good things about 4play racing, they sell kits like simlab does. Problem is their website and ebay store is a mess, you can't tell what is what, its really bad as of last time I looked. So, everyone says to email them. Might be worth a shot to email them and say "I want a complete gt1evo clone" and see what prices and timeline they can offer.

Upvote 0
You might want to contact RaceDepartment vendor Sim-Rigs. Pricing is competitive enough to offset shipping from the UK to the USA:

Upvote 0
Accuforce V2 and CSL pedals?
Don't take this the wrong way but, I feel that you'd be better off getting a Fanatec belt driven wheel and upgrading your pedals. The CSL are good for a beginner, but they're still potentiometer based and will be your primary limitation on consistency and lap times. V3 with Brake Performance kit will be a big improvement, but you're spending $5k, I'd consider getting Heusinkveld Sprints. They're way way better than CSL pedals and I say that as a former CSL/now V3 owner.

Considering the Accuforce V2 is $1000 and you're spending $225 on the CSL pedals, I think you'd get a lot more balanced of an experience if you got a Fanatec ClubSport v2.5 bundle (The Forza Motorsport bundle is $1440, includes the CS v2.5 wheel base, a universal hub, their shifter, and V3 pedals). The CS 2.5 is quite powerful, I can't even use it at 100% gain when I'm driving F3 or GT4 and it has a lot of details.
Yes, Accuforce V2 is considered a lot better than CSW v2.5, but I think you'll have a hard time finding someone here recommend Accuforce + CSL pedals over CSW v2.5 + CS pedals or HE Sprint pedals.

For cockpit, I recommend since you're a beginner: TR80 with Direct Fit Wheel Mount. It's $680 shipped to the US and way more future proof than the GT1. Sim Lab I only recommend the P1-X because the wheel mount for the GT1 shows a lot of flex with a front heavy wheel like the Accuforce V2.

And definitely add the brake performance kit.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

For the record Trakracer front mount has some fit issues with SC2.

Upvote 0
Accuforce V2 and CSL pedals?
Don't take this the wrong way but, I feel that you'd be better off getting a Fanatec belt driven wheel and upgrading your pedals. The CSL are good for a beginner, but they're still potentiometer based and will be your primary limitation on consistency and lap times. V3 with Brake Performance kit will be a big improvement, but you're spending $5k, I'd consider getting Heusinkveld Sprints. They're way way better than CSL pedals and I say that as a former CSL/now V3 owner.

Considering the Accuforce V2 is $1000 and you're spending $225 on the CSL pedals, I think you'd get a lot more balanced of an experience if you got a Fanatec ClubSport v2.5 bundle (The Forza Motorsport bundle is $1440, includes the CS v2.5 wheel base, a universal hub, their shifter, and V3 pedals). The CS 2.5 is quite powerful, I can't even use it at 100% gain when I'm driving F3 or GT4 and it has a lot of details.
Yes, Accuforce V2 is considered a lot better than CSW v2.5, but I think you'll have a hard time finding someone here recommend Accuforce + CSL pedals over CSW v2.5 + CS pedals or HE Sprint pedals.

For cockpit, I recommend since you're a beginner: TR80 with Direct Fit Wheel Mount. It's $680 shipped to the US and way more future proof than the GT1. Sim Lab I only recommend the P1-X because the wheel mount for the GT1 shows a lot of flex with a front heavy wheel like the Accuforce V2.

And definitely add the brake performance kit.

Thanks Ted (well, my wallet doesn't thank you though)! I did more research into the V3 pedals vs the CSL Elites and am now sold on the V3s instead. Also, i was not aware of the TR80 and i think that may be my rig. I like that they are in the USA and available to call easily too.

Down to the Sim Lab or the TR80 at the moment.

Randy

Upvote 0
After having been bitten hard by the sim racing bug, i am building a computer + sim gear + VR in the $5K range at the moment. I will post the entire build on this site and ask for yall's critique when i finish picking all the pieces. I am finding this by far the best forum for sim racers (haven't checked out the iRacing forums yet though). I am in the USA (Dallas Tex-has)

The single component i am the most lost as to what to get is the cockpit itself.

I don't have a huge space to put the rig into. I plan to use VR exclusively, so i don't need space for a 3 monitor setup. I have 2 regular monitors on my computer desk, but the computer desk is 6 feet from where the cockpit will be. I figure i can still have a mouse/keyboard next to the cockpit if i get a 2nd wireless mouse/keyboard just for the cockpit. I may need to get a single (3rd) monitor just for the cockpit to have something right there that is other than VR. Can you live exclusively with VR and have the normal computer monitors 6 feet away?

Buying the following components in my current sim racing build:

Wheel = Accuforce V2 DD wheel ('only' 13nm), so need the cockpit to be sturdy enough to handle it.

Shifter = Fantatec H pattern shifter, and need a gearshift plate that is stable and doesn't move around easily (have seen many cockpits where that happens in youtube videos)

Pedals = CSL Elite with LC

As to the actual cockpit, it needs to be sturdy enough for the DD wheel, and with a sturdy shifter plate, AND it needs to be inexpensive as possible, as my budget is nearing max. Wanting the cockpit to meet the above AND be less than $800 total for the cockpit and and racing seat (if need to order one separately). I found a Summit Racing seat for $180 that looked really nice if i had to buy a separate seat, so i could get a seat for less than $200 USD.

Oh, AND it needs to be actually available to order (although i could live with several months+ of waiting for delivery if need be)

Tall order?

Note that i am working with Jeff Ford (FEG) and he mentioned the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo cockpit. It looks like you can get one without too long of a delay (although don't want to think about shipping cost from Europe right now), and if i got a seat from Summit Racing for $190, it would come close to the max limit of $800, would prolly go over it once you add in a single monitor attachment and a shifter plate attachment. But, can the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo cockpit support the Accuforce DD wheel and have a stable shifter plate?

Thanks, you guys are great, i really appreciate the help as i jump in the sim racing world. :)

Randy

It you are looking at saving some money on the cockpit, the Microcenter in Dallas (@I35/635)carries the Next Level Racing F-GT cockpit (Can do F1 or GT seating). It does go in and out of stock, but has been in stock more than it has been out lately. Supposedly it can handle a DD wheel fine.

This guys is sporting a Fanatec DD wheel on his.

I don't like to push anyone toward a particular brand or style as everyone has different tastes, and I don't have experience with as many cockpits as some others probably have. But for $500 including a shifter mount, seat, and Buttkicker mount I thought it was a bargain. I do like to give companies praise when they have great customer service, and I can say that NLR has been fantastic here. I have emailed them 3 times. Twice before I purchased, and once after. I believe my longest response time was 3 hours. Compare that to Fanatec where I am still waiting on email responses from a month ago.

Good luck on your search as getting sim gear right now can be somewhat difficult.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ted (well, my wallet doesn't thank you though)! I did more research into the V3 pedals vs the CSL Elites and am now sold on the V3s instead. Also, i was not aware of the TR80 and i think that may be my rig. I like that they are in the USA and available to call easily too.

Down to the Sim Lab or the TR80 at the moment.

Randy

Some people are recommending a non 8020 rig, and in my opinion, you should stick with your current choices of TR80 or Sim Lab.

I owned an Apiga AP2 which is structurally equivalent to the GT Omega V1 and I would never put anything more powerful than a CSL Elite 1.1 (Around 6~6.5 Nm belt driven) on it. I had the CSL 1.1 for about a week before returning it and keeping the ClubSport 2.5 I have now, and honestly moving to aluminum profile is one of the best decisions I've made.

Trust me, you're going to want to go TR80 or P1.

In my opinion:
P1-X > TR160
But
TR80 > GT1-Evo
Reason? The P1-X front mount can mount the Simucube 2 without using washers (check @Andrew_WOT comment) and also the P1-X pedal deck is not only 15mm thick aluminum but also is reinforced with 40x40 profile cross beams underneath the pedal tray. The TR160 has a standard (I believe) 15mm steel pedal support, but it's enforced with a circular center rotational pivot and as a mechanical engineer I don't trust that to exhibit zero flex under full load with high force load cell pedals like HE Ultimate.

For TR80? Both the GT1-Evo and the TR80 have similar pedal trays, so you'll want to order profile pieces to reinforce either of them in the future if you upgrade your pedals. But I like the TR80's wheel mount more than the GT1-Evo's wheel mount. My reason is that the TR80 uses a 15mm thick carbon steel wheel mount that's more similar to the bigger/larger TR160's wheel mount and more competitive with the P1-X wheel mount, while the GT1-Evo uses a notably inferior 8040 cross beam with a cantilever center mounted wheel deck. A cantilever beam is structurally much more likely to exhibit flex when force is applied at the full length away from the moment of inertia. This was shown in Barry's review of the GT1 Evo.

I would strongly recommend reviewing the mounting before deciding (First timestamp):

In particular, Barry brings up that due to the mounting of the GT1 Evo, there's some flex in the chassis using the Accuforce V2 (Different Timestamp):

Now, in daily driving, you're not likely to apply enough force in a vertical direction to cause this flex, but it's something you should keep in mind. ;)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Looks like it handled the Bodnar shown here.

You can see it starting at ~11 minutes in. He states "It can handle any wheel on the market". I don't seem to have the flex in the pedals he has, but I also have mine in a different position.

Don't take this claim seriously. I used to own RSeat RS1, much more solid rig comparing to that one and it had flex with OSW Small Mige, more than I liked to warrant a replacement.
SimLab P1X is absolutely rock solid, and that changes the whole experience a whole lot, when you get all the details exactly and precise without them being absorbed by some wiggling or some other movement of the base.

Upvote 0
Don't take this claim seriously. I used to own RSeat RS1, much more solid rig comparing to that one and it had flex with OSW Small Mige, more than I liked to warrant a replacement.
SimLab P1X is absolutely rock solid, and that changes the whole experience a whole lot, when you get all the details exactly and precise without them being absorbed by some wiggling or some other movement of the base.

I always thought this guy was rather trustworthy. Do you think he turned down this FFB for his testing? We are able to see how this cockpit is handling his DD wheel, and it looks like it was handling it just fine...especially for a $500 (USD) cockpit. I am sure not as good as the P1X, but then it is half the price.

I only mentioned this cockpit as there are not many places in the US to get sim racing stuff, so getting something decent for a good price can be difficult. Also, this store happens to be near him. Europe seems to have all the good stuff, but shipping costs can sometimes be brutal when getting it to the US. IMO the F-GT is a great cockpit for those who can't spend a huge sum on one. I liked the original 2 options he mentioned. I thought for the money it may be hard to beat what he had already found.

Do you happen to know of some good sim racing places that keep stock in the US? It would be great for those of us who live here, and are trying to avoid the extra cost and wait time from Europe.

Upvote 0
Rule #1: Do it right, do it once, don't do it again.
This is why I got a P1-X vs. the other options on the market. Yes, it was $200 more expensive than some of the other choices, hard to order, and delivery took some time. However, I have confidence that it will last for many years and not need to be replaced with another cockpit/frame. The 8020 foundation also provides plenty of upgradability for future improvements/additions.

This also doesn't mean go for the most expensive choice. There were several other more expensive frames that I was not impressed with eg: https://www.shop.sim-seats.com/SR-X-Driving-Simulator-SS-10-SRX.htm

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I always thought this guy was rather trustworthy. Do you think he turned down this FFB for his testing? We are able to see how this cockpit is handling his DD wheel, and it looks like it was handling it just fine...especially for a $500 (USD) cockpit. I am sure not as good as the P1X, but then it is half the price.

I only mentioned this cockpit as there are not many places in the US to get sim racing stuff, so getting something decent for a good price can be difficult. Also, this store happens to be near him. Europe seems to have all the good stuff, but shipping costs can sometimes be brutal when getting it to the US. IMO the F-GT is a great cockpit for those who can't spend a huge sum on one. I liked the original 2 options he mentioned. I thought for the money it may be hard to beat what he had already found.

Do you happen to know of some good sim racing places that keep stock in the US? It would be great for those of us who live here, and are trying to avoid the extra cost and wait time from Europe.
No idea, but this is not how typical not superhuman being handles 16Nm.

Upvote 0

Trak Racer (TR80) is in the USA. I found them over this long weekend, so haven't been able to talk to them on the phone, but planning on calling them on Monday to talk about the TR80 and my needs, what will work best for my situation and price point.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Trak Racer and their customer service? I want accessible and very good customer service when it comes to the rig in particular, as i will need guidance in picking the right stuff out and in building it.

I am hesitant to get anything other than the $800+ NLR rig, expecting it to flex. Yes, i do have Microcenter a few miles from me, but shipping on the TR80 won't be that much ($100?).
It looks like i have a month and a half wait time for the TR80 though.

One thing i really want is some serious guidance (and videos like the detailed ones that Sim Racing Garage does on the build of the rig), as i am NOT a handyman. The schematics for the Sim Lab stuff is super sparse as to really good build instructions, big turnoff for me.

Really like the website for Trak Racer, was impressed with it so far in my look at it. Not a lot of Youtube reviews of it though.

I am finding this 'which rig to get' and 'which VR headset to get' as my biggest two continuing questions.

Randy

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Trak Racer and their customer service? I want accessible and very good customer service when it comes to the rig in particular, as i will need guidance in picking the right stuff out and in building it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back