Best curved monitor so far

Hey guys, I'm looking to opt for a curved monitor in the near future. So far I've mostly read posts about Samsung's CHG90 or CJ89 and, from what I understand, they have many annoying flaws.I haven't many reviews on other brands (i.e. BEnQ's EX3501R or AOC's AG352UCG6)

I was just wondering if some of you guys tried many of them and which one seemed to work best in a general way (i.e. with the majority of the sims)?

Or, as I'm a newcomer, would there already be a thread on the matter?

thanks in advance

upload_2019-6-30_3-32-29-png.312797

CHG90 owner here. This is a picture of my CHG90 in another thread. This is actually my working PC but I guess that does not matter.

The only flaw I experienced is the firmware problem. Sometimes the monitor won't turn on as my PC starts. This can be easily fixed by updating the firmware via USB. Haven't got any problems for 2 years.
In 2019, I recommend philips' 32:9 as that has 1440p while the samsung only has 1080p.

Upvote 0
If you want gsync, get the acer x34p or the dell aw3418dw. Or the 1080p dell if you don't want the higher resolution.
I've seen videos of the Samsung super ultra wide flickering with gsync, I had the HP omen and aoc gsync and sent both back, because the gsync flickered...
I've then ordered a 165 hz Asus TN gsync Monitor to test if it's my pc or something...
All was absolutely fine and awesome, sadly I had to send that back too since I didn't want to have it. Couldn't find a gsync monitor for testing anywhere sadly...

I then ordered the Dell and a friend ordered the acer. Both are totally fine, no flickering :)
They have the same LG panel with native 100 Hz, 120 Hz when overclocked.

The dell seems to be built a bit classier, internal psu and no gaming icon at the front.
Acer has 8bit + fcr instead of only 8 bit and therefore a tiny tiny bit less colour banding. And a gamma setting, while being not as well calibrated out of the box.
And the psu is external afaik.

Same panel inside though!

If you want freesync, the Samsung super ultra wide is a beast! And if you are lucky and have no problems with it in gsync compatible mode, it's also a beast for nvidia gpus :)

The acer x34a and b are not the same panel, they are older! Same for the Asus ultra wide! They only have 60 Hz native.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you run it with vsync, freesync, gsync compatible or without any of these?
From what I know the monitor itself is great. But some have freesync issues and some have major issues with gsync compatible.
That is actually an issue. I sticked with NVIDIA for years since the old GTX 295 so I cannot use freesync or the monitor will behave strangely.
The lucky thing is that I never use things like v sync and free sync. Been a Counter Strike Player for over a decade since CS 1.3. In CS with 144Hz, you can clearly feel the lag caused by vsync. Therefore I disabled anything like that for any games I play.

Technology like Vsync will prevent screen tearing. Good news is that racing game does not need vsync that desperately, like FPS does if you hate screen tearing. In CS, I often need to do a 180 rotation to shoot or to clear spots where enemies might hide, that is the scenario that will most likely provoke screen tearing, because the view behind you is so different compared to the view in front of you. The GPU needs to render a lot more stuff. In racing games, that is not an issue unless you spin, but I don't really care about the graphics when I spin....

Upvote 0
That is actually an issue. I sticked with NVIDIA for years since the old GTX 295 so I cannot use freesync or the monitor will behave strangely.
The lucky thing is that I never use things like v sync and free sync. Been a Counter Strike Player for over a decade since CS 1.3. In CS with 144Hz, you can clearly feel the lag caused by vsync. Therefore I disabled anything like that for any games I play.

Technology like Vsync will prevent screen tearing. Good news is that racing game does not need vsync that desperately, like FPS does if you hate screen tearing. In CS, I often need to do a 180 rotation to shoot or to clear spots where enemies might hide, that is the scenario that will most likely provoke screen tearing, because the view behind you is so different compared to the view in front of you. The GPU needs to render a lot more stuff. In racing games, that is not an issue unless you spin, but I don't really care about the graphics when I spin....
Played CS for years too. Mostly 1.6 and then GO. 1.6 with about 100 fps limited on a 800x600 CRT monitor. No tearing on that either way of course.
Now for GO the input lag was a real problem, being used to vsync in non competitive games. So I went with low graphic settings and 200 fps. At that rate I don't see tearing anymore. Borders become too thing and vanish too quickly to be bothered.

However with my system I can only run most of the sims between 60-80 fps for standard multiplayer races (mostly clubraces here at RD).
I am really really bothered by Tearing and stuttering without vsync. Tried fast sync, adaptive vsync, no sync and different fps limits etc etc.
Ended up with standard vsync, prerendered frames to 1 and limiting the fps via riva tuner to 59.97 fps.
Reduced the input lag to barely not noticable but due to little CPU lags I still got the big "showing a frame a second time" stutter caused by vsync.

Went for a gsync monitor last December and all problems are gone. No stutter, no tearing, no input lag, no spikes, nothing.

Different to you, I couldn't play any sim without syncing as I always found the stutter to be extremely annoying, the tearing was okayish though.
I tried this with a 165 Hz Monitor and different fps rates and settings. No matter if I ran 60-70 fps or 120+, it was still stuttering...

Which is why if someone goes with an expensive monitor, I will always strongly recommend using freesync or gsync (or gsync compatible ofc).
Since the Samsung super ultrawides don't seem to always run well in gsync compatible mode, I wanted to mention it.

But if someone is using a standard monitor right now without any syncing, then this isn't a problem at all of course.

I don't want to argue about this btw. I'm just happy for you that you are not as bothered and triggered as me, while being a bit grumpy about myself being a special triggered snowflake :roflmao::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Samsungs C49RG9 is the new 49" 2019 model with highest pixel count and HDR 1000 support.
It can however only handle 10bit colour to 100Hz and supports 8bit upto 120Hz. While not listed it supports VRR and also Freesync 2 via displaport.

Will be interesting how well AMDs new GPUs can handle this monitor but I think they may only interest those considering mid-range cards more. Perhaps the XT and 2070 Super.

The UK price has dropped a bit since release but coming in @£1100 while last years HDR based G90D version only had HDR 600, much lower resolution but with support for 144Hz. This was selling for @ £1000 at Christmas and is now as low as £760. Still a great display and several owners here vouch for that.

Personally, I would be more interested in the new model but wait for price drop more to the £1000 range. I would likely use 3840x1080 vertical res of the G90D to support titles that are more GPU demanding if using a medium tier spec GPU. Otherwise a 2080Ti or the new 2080 Super will likely be what to go for. However, the beauty is we can use the less demanding titles and get the benefits of the higher res 5120x1440 desktop.

Recent review, HERE
It seems all the other 49" 32:9 displays are not as good for gaming including Phillips, Dell, LG. Typically limited to 60 - 75Hz and others like Asus or MSI that seem to use the panel from the G90D model yet costing more.

HDR on monitors (even this one) seems to still be a mess (PC) and reports are good HDR Tvs are still much better. Maybe its still a Windows10 thing but consoles and media like Netflix etc seem to be the best sources for it, rather than PCs at this time. I have yet to see a full in-depth coverage of this displays HDR abilities compared to decent TVs. Gimmick, perhaps?

Some YT videos are appearing with people using the monitor with head tracking as well. I would be curious to here from anyone that has tried this with any of the 49" models and what titles it can work with, if at all any good?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played CS for years too. Mostly 1.6 and then GO. 1.6 with about 100 fps limited on a 800x600 CRT monitor. No tearing on that either way of course.
Now for GO the input lag was a real problem, being used to vsync in non competitive games. So I went with low graphic settings and 200 fps. At that rate I don't see tearing anymore. Borders become too thing and vanish too quickly to be bothered.

However with my system I can only run most of the sims between 60-80 fps for standard multiplayer races (mostly clubraces here at RD).
I am really really bothered by Tearing and stuttering without vsync. Tried fast sync, adaptive vsync, no sync and different fps limits etc etc.
Ended up with standard vsync, prerendered frames to 1 and limiting the fps via riva tuner to 59.97 fps.
Reduced the input lag to barely not noticable but due to little CPU lags I still got the big "showing a frame a second time" stutter caused by vsync.

Went for a gsync monitor last December and all problems are gone. No stutter, no tearing, no input lag, no spikes, nothing.

Different to you, I couldn't play any sim without syncing as I always found the stutter to be extremely annoying, the tearing was okayish though.
I tried this with a 165 Hz Monitor and different fps rates and settings. No matter if I ran 60-70 fps or 120+, it was still stuttering...

Which is why if someone goes with an expensive monitor, I will always strongly recommend using freesync or gsync (or gsync compatible ofc).
Since the Samsung super ultrawides don't seem to always run well in gsync compatible mode, I wanted to mention it.

But if someone is using a standard monitor right now without any syncing, then this isn't a problem at all of course.

I don't want to argue about this btw. I'm just happy for you that you are not as bothered and triggered as me, while being a bit grumpy about myself being a special triggered snowflake :roflmao::thumbsup:
Don't worry I am not a person that likes to fight.:roflmao: Even in iracing I spent most of my time in practice server as I just love driving in circle and surpass myself, not others.

Yeah different people are sensitive to different things. For ex, my friend is very sensitive to high-pitch noise. Hence every time he went to my home, I was not allowed to drive the 911 GT3 R in AC (with sound mod ofc), only the corvette with transmission sound level set to 0. You know what I mean:roflmao:

For CS, I actually went nut in my early years. I got a bunch of friends who played competitively and I used to enter a few offline events (1.6 Era. Never be able to enter offline events after GO. Those kids on ESEA/faceit were just too good. Too old for that not matter how hard I/my friends try.). I had to use different machines and some of them were not so great. This forced me to get used to different hardware very quickly.

Speaking of not liking to fight, I played mostly support in my team. I was always accused of being a terrible entry fragger.

Upvote 0
Since last year been been running Alienware IPS 34” (3440x1440) 21:9 G-Sync @120HZ (1800R curvature).

Alienware AW3418DW:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076PTMVJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DhnnDb03MP8HR

I was mostly after the high resolution (above 1080 since upgrading from 2k, high frequency (above 100Hz) and G-Sync.
[Asus ROG RTX2080ti OC to drive this baby in some new games].

Here are some old snapshots.

New Alienware 34” gaming monitor (3440x1440) by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

After_T300rs by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

(Not using a wide camera lens so the whole monitor is not shown here)
Assetto Corsa Competizione (M6 GT3) by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I run a 1080 Ti. No need for gsync. That said, I ran the nVidia pendulum demos with gsync, and simulated 20-60 fps. gsync worked flawlessly for me on this monitor. I have no idea why folks say they have problems. you have to enable gsync in the monitor menus, then its recognized by the nVidia drivers and worked fine.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing