Best button boxes for Sim-Lab's P1 cockpit ?

RCHeliguy

Premium
I was curious what people have gotten to work well with the P1 cockpit.

I considered the Derek Spears CSW button boxes, but I don't know if they fit well and they seem like they would stick out from my mount which is swept back a bit.

I'm also not sure if I'll go to an OSW or Fanatec DD at some point in the future, so ideally these button boxes would be wheelbase agnostic.

Thanks in advance!

This is the footprint I have to work with.
buttonboxfootprint.jpg

Last edited:
Any pictures and or links to ram mounts, goose necks or anything else that can be used to mount items to a P1 would be helpful.

And to OP, I am still looking for a solution to mount my handbrake. I have it attached to the side of the shifter but the shaft of handbrake gets in the way of shifting into 5th and 7th.

Upvote 0
And to OP, I am still looking for a solution to mount my handbrake. I have it attached to the side of the shifter but the shaft of handbrake gets in the way of shifting into 5th and 7th.

Right now I have no interference between my hand brake and shifter. I might move the hand brake closer to the steering wheel.

I just moved the wheelbase support backwards a bit so I could slide the hand brake to the left by 1.5".
That also gives me a nice flat vertical mount point on the left. The right seems like it will be a bit crowded for a button box. Now I need to slide the vertical supports forward a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This looks like a Ram Mount that I could make work for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G1ENQA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XENS8LQP1A6D&psc=1

My Porsche 918 wheel has a lot of buttons on it and joy sticks etc, but I play in VR, so a few fixed buttons would be helpful. What I want is a big start button and a reset button off of the wheel to start the engine and to reset after going too far off road in Dirt Rally. The wheel whips back to center after a reset and I don't want my hands on the wheel when that happens.

Looks like a link to the DSD P1 button box isn't permitted here, but that seems like it would work for my limited needs. I didn't want something large and some of these button boxes are HUGE!

Upvote 0
This is the Ram mount from the Amazon link I posted earlier. It seems pretty stout.
It has 5mm holes. So if you have some 5mm T-nut and some 16mm long 5mm bolts you should be able to secure it to your 8020 frame.

The button box I ordered has the two hole mount facing out on this image.
I may come up with something cleaner, but I want to make sure I'm happy with where it is positioned before I do anything more.
ramMounton8020.jpg

This is the back of the Derek Speare P1 button box I ordered and will hopefully see in the next couple weeks.
buttonboxRear.jpg

Upvote 0
I've customised my DSD CSW mount made button boxes to bolt onto the 80 20. I actually used two left over VESA mounts when I moved from triples to a single screen. Connected similar to how the above pic is. Drilled some of my own holes in the back and bolted the VESA mount to the plastic with some nuts to hold them on.

Works well. 80 20 lets you do a lot of things you just need to be creative and a little handy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years