Best apps for Assetto Corsa?

Metla

Premium
So, we get regular threads about the best tracks and cars available, But can anyone recommend the best apps, and what they do?

I've never used any third party/User created add-ons myself (aside from the already mentioned cars and tracks), But the talk in a recent thread that touched on a crew chief and position indicators raised my interest.

I've seen the RSR Live Timing one being mentioned quite a bit. Is it only useful for hotlapping? A friend of mine was really surprised that I don't already have it, but it sounds like something that isn't useful online, and I basically never hotlap.

Well it's good to give you an idea of where you are in terms of lap times, and it gives me that extra incentive to go faster. It's like the "high scores" page of a video game :) except it's there on the screen all the time and it gets updated in real time. I don't think most of the aliens use it ATM, but still.. adds to the fun of AC.

Well it's good to give you an idea of where you are in terms of lap times, and it gives me that extra incentive to go faster. It's like the "high scores" page of a video game :) except it's there on the screen all the time and it gets updated in real time. I don't think most of the aliens use it ATM, but still.. adds to the fun of AC.

Yeah I've been using it for a few days now, though only to get an idea of where I can improve in some of the combos I usually run. It's simple and efficient so I can see its appeal, even if I'm still not very keen on hotlapping as a whole.

I went with Helicorsa, Track map and content Manager.

Helicorsa in particular I have found very good, I dont do online but it has smoothed out my races against teh a1. Track map I havent got around to using yet, Might need to download an unfamilier track. Content manager...I dont know if its for me, I dont really know what I need to be doing with it...

Track map I havent got around to using yet, Might need to download an unfamilier track.

IMO the track map should only be used for your first few laps at a new track. Having it on all the time becomes a distraction because you're looking at it instead of the track and it can actually slow down the process of learning the track because you're just watching a white line instead of piecing together the turns. Just my opinion, I never use the track map even at unfamiliar tracks.

Content manager...I dont know if its for me, I dont really know what I need to be doing with it...

It can do a whole lot of stuff, most of which I'm still unaware of. But for me it's worth it just for how much quicker it opens and closes and how much cleaner and easier the interface is. You can open Content Manager and have a car on track in about the same time it takes the default launcher just to load to the main menu. It also gives you more flexibility in track conditions (you can go down to 0º ambient temp and even have it set real-time track conditions for that location) and AI strength (you can set a range for the AI so some can be at 85%, some at 90%, some at 95%, which creates more varied racing), as well as being able to fix old mod cars that have been broken by updates. It's not so much about managing content as it is a totally different (and IMO better) way to interact with the game.

IMO the track map should only be used for your first few laps at a new track. Having it on all the time becomes a distraction because you're looking at it instead of the track and it can actually slow down the process of learning the track because you're just watching a white line instead of piecing together the turns. Just my opinion, I never use the track map even at unfamiliar tracks..

I actually use the F11 track map not to see the corners but to see the traffic in front and behind me. With a quick glance I can see if I am gaining or losing time, if there's been a crash in front of me, if there's somebody coming at speed while I'm exiting the pits etc.

I actually use the F11 track map not to see the corners but to see the traffic in front and behind me. With a quick glance I can see if I am gaining or losing time, if there's been a crash in front of me, if there's somebody coming at speed while I'm exiting the pits etc.

That's a good use for it. I normally use the RealTime app for that, it shows the exact delta to cars in front/behind and even indicates if they're on the same lap as you or not.

It can do a whole lot of stuff, most of which I'm still unaware of. But for me it's worth it just for how much quicker it opens and closes and how much cleaner and easier the interface is. You can open Content Manager and have a car on track in about the same time it takes the default launcher just to load to the main menu. It also gives you more flexibility in track conditions (you can go down to 0º ambient temp and even have it set real-time track conditions for that location) and AI strength (you can set a range for the AI so some can be at 85%, some at 90%, some at 95%, which creates more varied racing), as well as being able to fix old mod cars that have been broken by updates. It's not so much about managing content as it is a totally different (and IMO better) way to interact with the game.

I've been trying to find more info on Content Manager, as I see it recommended a lot. This is probably the thing i was struggling to understand... do oyu actually manage the mods etc through the Content Manager interface, or do you still install these the traditional way by manually adding the files to the install location?

Are there any notable limitations with Content manager where the default launcher is requred? Also any quirks to be aware of?

I like the idea, but I do like things to work consistently, so don't like having added complication. Also, I don't want to install a 'lite' version and not the most willing to pay for mods unless I'm sure they are going to continuously work throughout game updates.

I guess I don't really 'get' what Content Manager is for and what the pro's and con's are vs the standard launcher.

I've been trying to find more info on Content Manager, as I see it recommended a lot. This is probably the thing i was struggling to understand... do oyu actually manage the mods etc through the Content Manager interface, or do you still install these the traditional way by manually adding the files to the install location?

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I only know a fraction of what CM can do, but I'll try to provide some info. You can use it to manage mods, I believe you can just drag the mod folder right into CM and it will do the rest. I've never tried to do it that way though, I still copy/paste the folders the old fashioned way.

Are there any notable limitations with Content manager where the default launcher is requred? Also any quirks to be aware of?

None that I'm aware of, never had any problems with CM at all and I never use the default launcher anymore.

I like the idea, but I do like things to work consistently, so don't like having added complication. Also, I don't want to install a 'lite' version and not the most willing to pay for mods unless I'm sure they are going to continuously work throughout game updates.

I guess I don't really 'get' what Content Manager is for and what the pro's and con's are vs the standard launcher.

CM works consistently, always, and AFAIK it is not broken by game updates. If a new feature is added in an update it may be a day or two before he gets around to adding it to CM but the dude is a magician so it rarely takes long to get new game features added. And updating CM literally takes about 5 seconds, you click on the update icon, it closes, it reopens, and that's it. I believe the lite version has pretty much everything except online multiplayer, and you can donate just a dollar or two to get the full version so it's dirt cheap and well worth it considering how much work he has put into it and how active he is in updating and improving it.

Basically, don't look at it as a mod or a "content manager", look at it as an alternate, improved launcher. It's super easy to setup and use, it's faster, smoother, more streamlined, and requires fewer clicks to accomplish the same tasks. For me it's totally worth it just for how much faster it is to launch/close and how much more efficient it is to get around in. Instead of having to scroll through pages of tracks you see them all in a list so you can just click on the one you want. Same with cars, they're all right there and you just click on the one you want. You can manually set a grid for an offline race, put this car in P1, that car in P2, etc. and then you can save those race settings as a preset so you can load up that exact same combo again with a single click, and you can even share those presets with others. If an old mod car has broken sounds you can fix it with a couple clicks. It has different show room options, wider track temperature options, wider AI strength options, a track day option, it basically makes all the non-racing parts of AC better in every way and brings in some options that aren't possible in the default launcher. Give it a try, I bet it won't be long until you forget about the default launcher. :)

If you have lots of free time you can read through here to find out everything it can do and how many things have been added. @ALB123 would probably be more than happy to go into further detail about all the neat things it can do, he's a bit of a CM expert. :)

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/content-manager-aka-alternative-launcher.33824/

If you have lots of free time you can read through here to find out everything it can do and how many things have been added. @ALB123 would probably be more than happy to go into further detail about all the neat things it can do, he's a bit of a CM expert. :)

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/content-manager-aka-alternative-launcher.33824/
Those screenshot actually make it much clearer, thanks for the link.

I'm definitely going to try it out. A further question for you; how well is the 'control' section handled in the launcher? I like to tinker with my FFB settings. Is this a direct equivalent/all the same options, or do these options menu's differ at all?

Those screenshot actually make it much clearer, thanks for the link.

I'm definitely going to try it out. A further question for you; how well is the 'control' section handled in the launcher? I like to tinker with my FFB settings. Is this a direct equivalent/all the same options, or do these options menu's differ at all?

All the FFB options are there and it even gives you direct access to some of the hidden FFB options like gyro and soft lock (normally you need to edit an .ini to access those). And you can create/save FFB presets just like in the default launcher. The FFB screens look different than the default launcher, of course, but all the function are there and you have a tab for buttons, axles, and FFB. To access it click on the Settings in the top right of Content Manager and then go to Controls. :thumbsup:

Edit: Here's a video that kinda runs through it so you can see where some of the stuff can be found. It's not super in-depth and it's a year old so some things have changed since then, but it might be of some help.

Have you got latest version?, that I believe was addressed. Also go to FFBClip.ini set your preferences there
I have a g29 and about 75 hours into AC so im just getting into all the mods and what not... Right now my ffb settings are based of some youtube video I found and the settings aren't bad...

My question... should I get this and will it override those current settings automatically or do I need to change stuff? Also I can just save my old controls/ffb preset in documents and revert back if it messes up yes? Sorry for noob questions.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back