Bernie Ecclestone calls for customer cars again

bernie ecclestone.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone has once more called for cheaper customer cars to boost F1's grid numbers days before the 2015 season begins in Australia.

Continuing from his recent proposals for performance-boosted “Super GP2” cars and then 2013-spec Red Bulls to effectively create a second division, Ecclestone has now suggested customer chassis be sold to "smaller" teams at £15 million a pair, with engines apparently being supplied by either Renault or Cosworth.

This is in the wake of Caterham’s collapse, Manor (formerly Marussia) scraping onto the grid with essentially year-old cars and reports of the teams receiving swifter prize money payments this year in order to boost their accounts. Lotus, Force India and Sauber in particular are known to have had financial issues since late last year, Force India only managing to get their new car ready for the last three days of pre-season testing. F1 may infringe on agreements with race promoters should too many teams fall off the grid, hence Ecclestone's enthusiasm for a cheaper solution.

Despite these issues, the F1 teams remain very reluctant regarding customer cars, the prevailing feeling being that teams able to achieve success in much cheaper spec cars would devalue what all the current teams do as constructors, each building their own cars. Speaking with the Mail on Sunday however, Ecclestone was adamant this wouldn’t be the case.

"I can't see that. I'd call these four or five teams that we supplied chassis to the 'Team Championship'. They would all be in the Team Championship but they wouldn't be able to win the Constructors' Championship,” he said. "To all intents and purposes, nobody would ever know. The public would never know. It would not alter the way they see the races. It wouldn't change the spectacle. It would just mean that instead of incurring big losses, these teams would be able to make a profit.”

Ecclestone continued by pinpointing what he thought was the sport’s real problem right now: “There are teams that spend maybe £500m a season and other people that are trying to work with a £120m budget, which is still too much. The regulations don’t hurt the people that can spend but hurt the people who are trying to put a team together.”

“When you consider teams take maybe 120 people to race two cars and spend up to half a billion pounds to be there, it’s not too logical. The Mercedes unit that they take to races and put in the paddock, it takes 24 trucks to carry the parts to assemble it. The FIA believes it keeps the world alive because F1 cars don’t use any fuel. Not true. They use a few per cent less than a normal engine.

“But some teams have 24 trucks to build their motorhomes, which use a lot of fuel. So it is all nonsense. It is all complete hypocrisy, which upsets me. It is complete stupidity. So everyone has got their corner they want to fight for. The FIA want to be green, the teams are split on what they want to do and we want to make sure the championship is successful. We are in the entertainment business.”

3 car teams, that would be great. No need for more slowpokes on the grid.
And that from a sloth???? :O_o::roflmao::p

Myself, I'm not sure on how such an idea would turn out. Formula 1 should not become like Le Mans with 40 odd cars on track (yes I know I'm exaggerating) in different classes with their own standings and championships so to speak. That's creates a completely different field and I think F1 shouldn't be like that.

If anything, for me F1 should be a discipline that does justice to the claim of "it's the pinnacle of Motorsport", ie. bordering of the technologically possible but at the same time having such a framework in place that driver skill determines the grid line up and not one or two dominant teams due to their advantage of using a specific engine (see dominance of Mercedes last season and Red Bull in the four seasons prior to that). That's why the A1 series (not sure if it was called like that) were quite interesting and the new Formula E is as well, the cars are from different teams/engines, but are still the same in power, grip, aero etc, that way driver skill is the deciding factor.

Bernie is a smart man. He's 100% right here, IMO. F1 has gotten lost in this "pinnacle of motorsport" B.S. which apparently means "spend half a billion dollars to compete if you want any chance to win." That, as you English say, is bollocks. If the FIA is really as out of touch as Bernie implies, they will ruin the sport. I think 100 million would still give you the chance to lay claim to being "the pinnacle" (which is kind of pretentious, no?) but your are going to be "the former pinnacle" if nobody cares to watch, no matter what you spend. Here, as much as I hate to say it, F1 should take a page from NASCAR's playbook and make these cars mean, angry, fast, and loud (political fuel considerations? that's an utter joke...how many air miles does the jet fuel burn every year?), but also cap costs so your average billionaire can have a team.

F1 should be a discipline that does justice to the claim of "it's the pinnacle of Motorsport", ie. bordering of the technologically possible but at the same time having such a framework in place that driver skill determines the grid line up

These two, unfortunately, are at odds with one another. What you really have to get rid of are the *unnecessary* (read: politically correct) regulations, like the sickness that descended on F1 last year.

Not that bad a proposal from Ecclestone. I think that this might work, with a few
tweaks and adjustments of course.

Last edited:
The FIA believes it keeps the world alive because F1 cars don’t use any fuel. Not true. They use a few per cent less than a normal engine.

“But some teams have 24 trucks to build their motorhomes, which use a lot of fuel. So it is all nonsense. It is all complete hypocrisy, which upsets me. It is complete stupidity. So everyone has got their corner they want to fight for. The FIA want to be green, the teams are split on what they want to do and we want to make sure the championship is successful. We are in the entertainment business.”

I think I'm going to be sick :sick:

I actually agree with Bernie on this :confused:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%