Bernie Ecclestone accuses Manor of having no intention to race

Manor F1 Team Not Racing.jpg

In the wake of a poignant race in relation to the current state of Formula One in Australia, Bernie Ecclestone has slammed the Manor team for their "no show" at the opening race of the 2015 season.

After leaving administration just a few weeks before the opening Grand Prix of the season, the team were always going to be pushed for time when they finally made it to Oz; notably naming their second driver Roberto Merhi just four days before the start of the first race weekend of the year and not taking part in any of the pre-season tests.

However, the team were unable to get any running in over the weekend due to software gremlins occurring as a result of correlation issues between their 2015 car and 2014 software. As a result of pulling this "no show" the team was summoned to the FIA to explain the reasoning behind it, though they accepted the teams reason and thus issued no penalty to the team.

But, Bernie Ecclestone came out and controversially stated his opinion in that he felt Manor had no intention of racing in Australia. In an interview with Reuters, the Formula One supremo went on to state: "We should have never ever, ever allowed Manor to do what they've done. It's our fault. I predicted this would happen,they had no intention of racing in Australia. Zero. They couldn't have raced if someone had gone there with a machine gun and put it to their head. It was impossible. So they had no intention."

As a result of this, the Manor team will be made to pay for their freight costs to Australia - usually Formula One Management pays for the freights costs of all the teams, however Ecclestone stated that 'they are not competing so they have to pay for it'.

In my heart of hearts, they would have raced if it were even possible. The mountain that they had to climb to race at Melbourne was so steep.

I just don't get why Bernie, on the surface, seems to hate the presence of the smallest teams. It's not as if Manor are trying to bring the sport into disrepute ala Andrea Moda, nor would they be as off pace as Life Engines.

Well, maybe Bernie should dish out the money the team won from last season instead of paying it out in arrears come end of the season.

I believe they knew that their car wouldn't be ready in time for the race. I mean, others
had the luxury of 12 days of testing and still had problems, let alone Manor with a
modified year-old car with an engine that might not even fit properly into the chassis.

I believe they knew that their car wouldn't be ready in time for the race. I mean, others
had the luxury of 12 days of testing and still had problems, let alone Manor with a
modified year-old car with an engine that might not even fit properly into the chassis.
Why wouldn't it fit?
It's the 2014 Ferrari engine in the 2014 chassis... As it fit last season, it should also fit now.

It wasn't about the car etc. It was about the software:

Problems getting the required software in place following the former Marussia team's late rescue from administration meant neither car was able to leave the garages in Melbourne.
Found HERE.

There is one thing for sure, once Ecclestone does go, it will be very interesting to see what people in the sport really think of him once they are able to talk freely.

If he`s not gone within the next 2 years we will be lucky if we have 10 cars on the grid.

I agree that it's time for him to step a bit down the pecking order, but, we
must not forget what he has offered through the years. I'm not saying
that he's a shelfless angel, but he was very innovative some years ago.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%